scraper/thumbnails question
I used Media Companion to create .nfo files and fan/poster art jpegs within each movie folder. Isn't this supposed to make my movies load much faster as opposed to XBMC having to go to the internet each time? But yet, even with this I still find that it seems to take forever for my movie posters to load. Is XBMC still trying to go out to the internet, or does it just naturally take a long time on a single core 2.4 gig computer?
I keep trying to get better at XBMC, but in my opinion it can be a little overly complicated sometimes. Thanks for any help.
now I'm convinced XBMC is not using the nfo files with the movies. Why? Because for the movie "pretty woman" when I right click and go to movie information in XBMC, the plot it gives is different from the plot entered in the nfo file. What is going on here?
Is the .nfo file named *exactly* the same as the movie just with the .nfo extension?

Make sure it is, remove the movie and re-add it - should pull from .nfo. I do all my movies this way.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
yeah, they are all named the same. Media Companion makes it that way. But disregard my statement about the plot info not matching up. Upon further examination of that movie, there is a main plot description down at the bottom of the screen, but up in the broken down categories there is like another plot.....that plot info matched up with the nfo file. I still maintain though that the movie posters/art is taking a long time to load if it is pulling from the jpegs/nfo from the movie folders themselves, but it could be my slow computer at only one core, 2.4 gigs....piece of crap!
Lol. Love Media Companion and recommend it, but its not perfect (yet!).

If you download SQLiteSpy you can go in and remove all references to external thumbnails or fanart, and I do this occasionally, but be really careful. Consider it like registry editing in Windows - you can f&*k things up if you aren't sure.....

Also, if you have a GPU and DirectX add <useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart> to your advancedsettings.xml file. It enables DirectX and hardware acceleration of your fanart images.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
where do you add that command line? Is that something in XBMC or Media Companion?
bgaviator Wrote:where do you add that command line? Is that something in XBMC or Media Companion?

There's a file called advancedsettings.xml in your "special" folder. Both those terms are in the Wiki for help finding or modifying them.

It's a text file formatted in the XML tag format which XBMC looks at to determine any special settings required.

Have a browse thru the Wiki for those two items before modifying. Note that the file does not exist by default - you can create it with NotePad. If you write an incorrect tag in there it will be ignored, and you can alwats empty or delete it if you mess up.
That helped so much! I actually had to create the advancedsettings.xml file. But I did what you suggest and my posters/fanart loaded in a snap! See, now why can't XBMC just have that function as something you can select in the program as opposed to having to do all this complicated editing? It seems unnecessarily complicated if you ask me.
bgaviator Wrote:That helped so much! I actually had to create the advancedsettings.xml file. But I did what you suggest and my posters/fanart loaded in a snap! See, now why can't XBMC just have that function as something you can select in the program as opposed to having to do all this complicated editing? It seems unnecessarily complicated if you ask me.

Welcome to the evolutionary homebrew that is XBMC, and the best media center out there. It's just growing so fast, and caters to so many that it's never gonna be super-easy. But when you get to know all it does....

If I've helped (glad I could!) hit me with some good reputation - see my signature.

Enjoy!
ok, last night after adding that xml file, the poster/fanart displayed very quickly. Tonight I fired up XBMC, and it's like it was back to its old slow self....took forever for the posters to load, and fanart was not loading quickly. What the heck is going on now? grrrr!
Something else wrong then - best way to boost the speed is to have enough free RAM for all the images
Ok, I am still having a huge issue. When I add a new source folder to XBMC, and I go to have XBMC scan the folder for new content.....it is taking forever.....and I mean forever! Shouldn't the process be almost instantaneous since I have all the nfo and fanart/poster art files created within each movie's folder? It just stays on the first movie in the folder, and then does nothing. I get so sick of waiting for it. Am I doing something wrong with the scraper settings? Aren't the NFO files supposed to be read first?
I have switched to Eden Beta 3 now too, btw
Here is the parts of the debug log I think that would be most useful. This one seems to show from the time I started scanning content until I manually stopped the scan because it was taking too long. The time to scan noted in the log is 01:04.....And the scan was still stuck on "American Pie", which is the first movie folder in the directory when I finally decided to end it.

<deleted>
Here is the remainder of the log after I stopped the scan and decided to end XBMC...it's in a couple of parts:

<deleted>

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
scraper/thumbnails question0