Newbie help: metadata and mkv's
Hi, I'm a HTPC neophyte, and in trying to get my system set up, I've run into some speedbumps...

I'm trying to archive my blu ray collection onto my NAS, and am using MakeMKV to rip them to my Synology DS411+ server. I rip them into a folder, for example, K:\Movies\<whatever movie>\ and I get a list of several MKV files.

I have no trouble playing the movies back on XBMC (via selecting the entire folder on playback), but I can't understand/get how to display metdata/movie posters/cast etc... via the XBMC video browser. When I enabled the XBMC scraper, it'll erroneously pull various poster art/info from each actual MKV file...

After trying to do some research, I just get more and more confused. So basically, I need help in figuring out how to archive movie MKV files so that I can browse via XBMC in a cool way, like how everyone else is doing it...

(I've also tried Media Center Master, and can't get it to work with XBMC either)...

My system below:

Intel i7 920
8 gb ram
Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 video card
32gb SSD
500gb HDD
XBMC latest build
MPC Classic

Synology DS411+

thanks for helping a total newb out!
XBMC doesn't support metadata inside MKV files if that's what you're doing.

It does support metadata outside the files (folder.jpg, fanart.jpg, movie.nfo etc.), but really if you just name the files appropriately (moviename (year).mkv) XBMC will do the rest for you.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I generated .nfo-files automatically from .mkv metadata because of this, since my filenames are BiCapitalized (and will stay that way).

Turns out, whenever I want to refresh the information from the internet, it completely ignores the .nfo file, and again, wants to use the filename which it again does not recognize.
(2013-09-19, 18:34)Seegras Wrote: I generated .nfo-files automatically from .mkv metadata because of this, since my filenames are BiCapitalized (and will stay that way).

Turns out, whenever I want to refresh the information from the internet, it completely ignores the .nfo file, and again, wants to use the filename which it again does not recognize.

Are you using OpenELEC? If so, then it's a known issue for it. Normal XBMC builds should read the NFO file when refreshing.
(2013-09-20, 03:52)Ned Scott Wrote: Are you using OpenELEC? If so, then it's a known issue for it. Normal XBMC builds should read the NFO file when refreshing.
Actually, 13.0~alpha7-dmo2

Oh, I just noticed, it still can't read the metadata (including the title) from file, but it displays the covers.
(2012-02-22, 02:39)jmarshall Wrote: XBMC doesn't support metadata inside MKV files if that's what you're doing.

Is this still an issue? After more than a year?
I believe spiff/notspiff/ironic_money has done work on this, but it hasn't hit mainline yet. Still needs some additional work.
Utilize the program media center master to create the file/folder structure and will consolidate the metadata for you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie help: metadata and mkv's0