• 11(current)
Associate extras and/or alternative versions to a movie/TV show title
Hi All,

May seem like a strange question (As I have already installed, used and updated the addon). But what is the advantage of using DvdExtras Theme music addon, instead of:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83925

Thanks

Rob
Another request- "Extras" button is only displayed in the info screen when extras are actually present with the movie or tv show. I don't think this is supported yet.

(2013-09-09, 15:41)rob_webset Wrote: Hi All,

May seem like a strange question (As I have already installed, used and updated the addon). But what is the advantage of using DvdExtras Theme music addon, instead of:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83925

Thanks

Rob

I think the TV Tunes addon only supports theme music for TV shows and this one only supports movies (I ThinkBig Grin )
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
I have a few ideas for the add-on but will save them until the basics are up and running. If you need another tester let me know, I use the theme music religiously which may be of help from a bug testing standpoint Wink
Lightbulb 
(2013-09-09, 14:59)rob_webset Wrote: From the feature request list I have so far, only the following remains that I can recall:
1) Support longer filesnames for extras - they currently get cropped
2) Display length of extras video
3) Mark extras videos as watched
4) Resume from last stop on extras videos

I believe the first 2 will require a different approach to the dialog displayed - so is a fair bit of re-work, as the dialog format currently used will not support any more data, and does not seem able to be resized.

For items 3 and 4, I haven't looked into these, but I would guess these "watched/part-watched" flags are stored in the DB - exactly the same DB that we put a filter in to stop them showing up in the normal list. But this is just guess-work, I won't know until I start digging around a bit.

Please feel free to post your requests and bugs - I have no objections of people highlighting problems, bugs and requests for new features - But no whining please! :-)

Thanks again for all your feedback

Rob
One method for storing this sort of information might be in the form of a small database file in the "Extras" file folder or in the movie's file folder.
DVDExtras has a feature for creating .nfo files for TV show extras, I think, but I'm not sure what it does, how it works and have not tested it.
I might have to re-read this thread!

However, looking at the wiki:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFO_files
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFO_files/movies
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFO_files/tvshows

It states that:

Quote:NFO files can be used to provide data for a video file in XBMC or influence the search behaviour of scrapers. In particular they are helpful if the information fetched from a web site does not match the video file, or data for that particular file does not exist.

By default at the time of scanning, if the media folder contains a correctly named *.nfo file, then XBMC will load the *.nfo file and attempt to either, in the case of it containing XML data get the meta-data directly from the .nfo file or will parse it for a direct URL to the scraper info page. This allows XBMC to skip its normal lookup and/or search procedures; this is useful if a file's information is not available on any of the scraper sites or if the file-matching criteria fail for the particular file.

Looking at the example .nfo files; I found these lines:

Code:
<playcount>0</playcount>
    <lastplayed>1969-12-31</lastplayed>
and
Code:
<resume>
        <position>0.000000</position>
        <total>0.000000</total>
    </resume>

If the standard format is adhered to; this might be the ideal way to store this information.

Thanks again for the fantastic hard work, Rob. Cool

I'll do some more testing when time allows and when I've gotten XBMC working properly on my lame office PC.
(2013-09-09, 21:00)Rich.T. Wrote: One method for storing this sort of information might be in the form of a small database file in the "Extras" file folder or in the movie's file folder.
DVDExtras has a feature for creating .nfo files for TV show extras, I think, but I'm not sure what it does, how it works and have not tested it.
I might have to re-read this thread!

However, looking at the wiki:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFO_files
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFO_files/movies
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFO_files/tvshows

Hi Rich, thanks for the suggestion, however I don't think it will work in this case as we can not be sure that we can write to the directory that the Extras are stored in. It may be on a read-only network share.

It may be the case that we need to store this information locally - but I will need to do a lot of investigation before we go down that path.
Question about the 1.2.1 version. What exactly does the "Search for movies to remove from database'" do? Is this just another way to clean my database of any video that the parent file has been deleted?
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2013-09-09, 19:30)Deano316 Wrote: I have a few ideas for the add-on but will save them until the basics are up and running. If you need another tester let me know, I use the theme music religiously which may be of help from a bug testing standpoint Wink

Hi Deano, if you were interested in trying the next version - then please feel free to PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy when it's ready.

I know wgstarks has already stated that he uses the Theme Music on this plugin for Movie support - please can I ask why you use dvdextras rather than TVTunes?
@rob_webset
Finally got a chance to install the mod version 1.2.1. Themes work great but when I try to play extras XBMC crashes. tried with several different extras with the same result every time. I installed the mod "install from zip" without any problem. Did not delete the old installation. My extras are located in an "Extras" sub folder. Don't know what other details might be helpful? You can email or pm me if you like, wasn't sure what forum you prefer for troubleshooting.

Edit- Feel free to email me any new versions for testing. Won't usually take as long as this time.
After doing a little more testing- the crashes only happen with movies that have both theme and extras.
(2013-09-09, 22:26)wgstarks Wrote: After doing a little more testing- the crashes only happen with movies that have both theme and extras.

This is something capfuturo also report, but we believed it was limited only to stacked videos - where they did not work at all before - now something strange is happening with the themes/extras combo. Are you seeing it for non stacked videos as well?

(I would be concerned if I have broken something that previously worked - sounds like I may have to configure some themes on my installation)

As an aside, does anyone know why the extras and the themes were put into the same plugin? - they seem like seperate features for me.
(2013-09-09, 21:47)rob_webset Wrote:
(2013-09-09, 19:30)Deano316 Wrote: I have a few ideas for the add-on but will save them until the basics are up and running. If you need another tester let me know, I use the theme music religiously which may be of help from a bug testing standpoint Wink

Hi Deano, if you were interested in trying the next version - then please feel free to PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy when it's ready.

I know wgstarks has already stated that he uses the Theme Music on this plugin for Movie support - please can I ask why you use dvdextras rather than TVTunes?
TVTunes does not work for movies.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-09-09, 22:32)rob_webset Wrote:
(2013-09-09, 22:26)wgstarks Wrote: After doing a little more testing- the crashes only happen with movies that have both theme and extras.

This is something capfuturo also report, but we believed it was limited only to stacked videos - where they did not work at all before - now something strange is happening with the themes/extras combo. Are you seeing it for non stacked videos as well?

(I would be concerned if I have broken something that previously worked - sounds like I may have to configure some themes on my installation)

As an aside, does anyone know why the extras and the themes were put into the same plugin? - they seem like seperate features for me.

These are not stacked videos. I can't say positively that everything was working prior to installing your mod. I'll delete it and re-install the github version and post back.

Un-installed the 1.2.1 mod and then installed the github version- still get the crashes with that version. Happens with any movie that has a theme file apparently. Does not appear to be related to the mod.
(2013-09-09, 21:47)rob_webset Wrote:

I use both tvtunes and DVD extras. As you know tvtunes is only for tv shows, so DVD extras is a necessity for those movie themes.
Good night Rob,

First of all thank you so much for v1.2.2.
On this first post I will go over the issues I've detected so far:

A) Configuration pane: 'play theme' option: on; 'return to Info pane' after playing extra: on
[Full debug log: for item A) I) 1. here; for items A) I) 2. to 5. here]
I) For non-stacked video files with music theme:
Trying to play extras from a list of 5 extras with theme.mp3 playing in the background:
  1. 1st extra: stops theme playback, brings back the 'Info' pane and starts theme playback again. Attempting to enter 'Extras' again crashes and quits XBMC.
  2. 2nd extra: stops theme playback, brings back info pane, and start theme playback again. Attempting to enter 'Extras' list goes well and DVDExtras shows the Extras list. Selecting the 2nd extra for playback takes one back to library view with theme.mp3 playing in the background (this is weird, however interesting to have a theme playing back in library view; never thought of that before!).
  3. 3rd extra: going back to 'Info' pane from library view stops the theme.mp3 being played whilst in library view. The 'Info' pane now is silent (no theme playing). The 'Extras' list comes up if selected. The selected extra plays but only the video without audio (weird too). Stopping the playback brings things back to Info pane and theme.mp3 starts again as usual.
  4. 4th extra: makes things behaves like item 2.
  5. 5th extra: makes things behave like item 3.
One can clearly identify there are at list 3 different patterns that repeat when trying to play items from the same list of extras:
  1. XBMC crashes & quits.
  2. XBMC quits to library view with theme playback in the background.
  3. 'Extras' play with no audio.
II) For stacked video files with music theme: [Full debug log here]
All Extras play OK (video and audio OK), however:
  1. Accessing 'Info' pane brings up 'Extras' list immediately, overriding the 'Info' pane view. No music theme is being played. Stopping the playback of an extra brings things back to 'Extras' list, not 'Info' pane as it should be.
B) Configuration pane: 'play theme' option: off; 'return to Info pane' after playing extra: on
[Full debug log here covering both items B) I) & II)]
I) For non-stacked video files with music theme:
All good; none of the issues observed on item A) I) happens this time.

II) For stacked video files with music theme:
All Extras play OK (video and audio OK), however:
Here I found same issues previously observed on item A) II)
  1. Accessing 'Info' pane brings up 'Extras' list immediately, overriding the 'Info' pane view. Stopping the playback of an extra brings things back to 'Extras' list, not 'Info' pane as it should be.
Obs 1: None of the issues described on items A) and B) happens if the onload/unonload calls handling the themes playback aren't added to the DialogVideoInfo.xml (Wiki ref. here), or the theme audio files aren't added to the movie folder.

Obs 2: Reference for the logs:
non-stacked video file: Marketa Lazarova (1967)
Stacked video files: Ben-Hur [WB UCE 2011] (1959)
Best,

capfuturo

"The world must learn to work together, or finally it will not work at all" - General Eisenhower
Now, in this 2nd post I'd like to point out the improvements Rob has brought as per DVD Extras mod v1.2.2:
  1. Support for stacked video files [CHECKED]
  2. User define 'Extras' directory name [CHECKED]
  3. Search nested directories (for both TV Shows and Movies) [CHECKED]
  4. User defined menu to show after playing an extra [CHECKED]
  5. Exclude file regular expression (please add .srt & .ass extensions to default exclusions) [CHECKED]
  6. Theme extra audio format such as wma, flac [CHECKED]
Have I missed any? I can tell this Add-on has had issues combining theme playback and Info pane since the beginning, so in that sense nothing has been broken. This is why Deano316 asks in post #132 whether this issue has been fixed or not by Rob's mod. I have identified the issues and described the different scenarios in which they seem to appear, if that could help a little getting the Add-on ironed out.
Best,

capfuturo

"The world must learn to work together, or finally it will not work at all" - General Eisenhower
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Associate extras and/or alternative versions to a movie/TV show title8