• 14(current)
Associate extras and/or alternative versions to a movie/TV show title
Good night Rob and XBMC fellows,

It Works!!!! You've got it Rob.

New DVDExtras v1.2.3 (with new onload/unonload calls in DialogVideoInfo.xml) brings full support for 'Extras' with theme playback for stacked and non-stacked video files within movie library (haven't tested TV shows). Previous issues reported on post #173 have been ironed. Debug log here
DVDExtras v1.2.3 was tested on the following system: OS X, XBMC 12.2, AEON NOX 4.0.9, Macbook Pro 15" Retina Display.

Has anybody tested it to fully work with TV Shows and TVTunes yet?

TWG (teeny-weeny glitches):
  1. The cast list doesn't show up when returning to 'Info' pane after playing an extra. Perhaps is a skin related issue? [log here]
  2. No theme playback returning to 'Info' pane of the movie as a consequence of selecting a member of the cast/director, then the same movie from the list that shows up. However, if one does it a second time, it plays the theme. The 3rd time doesn't; the 4th time does, and so on. It has an every-other pattern. Could it be a similar volume-fade issue encountered earlier whilst playing extras? [log here]
Observations:
The 'NOTICE: MovieThemes : waiting to play' lines redundant repetitions are generating debugging logs way to big.
Best,

capfuturo

"The world must learn to work together, or finally it will not work at all" - General Eisenhower
This is some really awesome work you guys are doing! Also, I was wondering if it would help if we moved or split the thread into the add-on dev forum or somewhere? It seems past the "request" stage at this point :)
(2013-09-11, 23:55)capfuturo Wrote: Observations:
The 'NOTICE: MovieThemes : waiting to play' lines redundant repetitions are generating debugging logs way to big.

Thanks for all the feedback - yes, that was a bit of "raw debug" that I had left it - noticed it just after I emailed out the zip - now gone!

(2013-09-11, 23:55)capfuturo Wrote: Re: Cast list issues

Unfortunately, I think this is either due to the way the Cast list works, or the way the MovieTheme playing currently works, a guess is that MovieThemes should really be running in a new thread - but it doesn't. (I don't think I'll be reworking MovieThemes to work in it's own thread at the moment - I believe we would be better off trying to get that functionality merged into TVTunes.)

(2013-09-11, 23:59)Ned Scott Wrote: This is some really awesome work you guys are doing! Also, I was wondering if it would help if we moved or split the thread into the add-on dev forum or somewhere? It seems past the "request" stage at this point Smile

Thanks Ned - I think when I've got everything working as I'm after, I might officially publish the work and create a new thread.

I do have a tough decision now - now we have something working, what do I do? I have some serious changes that I would like to do in the future (which would change most of the code so it no longer looked anything like the original DVDExtras) this would include:
1) Storing all the Extras info in a DB (For faster access)
2) Enhancing the extras display screen to look more like the TV episode screen (more details)
3) Handle resume of Extras from the last point
4) Flag watched extras in the normal way
5) Only display the Extras button when there are extras
6) Option to make the existance of extras more obvious without looking at the Info screen
7) Change the name to VideoExtras
8) Merge MovieThemes functionality into TVTunes

Now I do not want to upset brentosmith, after all he did all the initial work, but what is the etiquette to me publishing this updated DVDExtras as VideoExtras - and then building on it from there - obviously I would still give him a very visable credit on a new posting, but I think as the changes under the above items go in, it really is going to change it a lot and if we can keep it under active control it is more likely to be integrated into peoples systems?

Thoughts?

Rob
I think the whole point of XBMC being open-source is that you can take some existing work and try to improve on it. As long as brentosmith gets the relevant credit, you're good to go Wink
Rainbow 
(2013-09-12, 07:25)rob_webset Wrote: Thoughts?

Rob

I think you know already what the response from us lot is going to be, don't you?

Go for it!

While there is the impetus, enthusiasm and the genuine interest in this project, it would be a crying shame to let it go dormant again.

If brentosmith's great little plugin can be made to become something which may very well end up being included as a default add-on or integrated functionality of XBMC, then it is definitely worth laying the groundwork for the project's future development. With Bluray extras becoming more commonly available, the expectation that this should be a feature of XBMC can only increase.

So, what can I do to help?
The GPL is pretty cool on this, perhaps you need to read up on open source development. It is an interesting topic.

Basically as this is all python the source is what you are distributing anyway, but putting it on github is the way to go, and only polite in the circumstances. It does seem to be the most favoured open source development platform at present.

Don't forget to give credit, and to make your work GPL too.

DVDExtras was not a good long term name given we now have bluray, web based "extras" and so forth. Otherwise I would suggest naming it DVDExtras-TNG or something tacky like that.

brentosmith is undoubtedly subscribed to this forum, if he had some comment he could have made it, although may be out of touch for some reason (like a damned good holiday).

Now I just had an idea. What about including the ability to put strm files or links to video websites (youtube etc) in the extras folder? (Sorry this may be possible or thought of already and I missed it).

Good work too. Cheers.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi All, thanks for your support

(2013-09-12, 12:14)nickr Wrote: The GPL is pretty cool on this, perhaps you need to read up on open source development.

Hi nickr, I actually know a reasonable amount about opensource and have contributed to several different projects (outside XBMC) before, but they have always been active projects which I have fed code back to the original author. I thought this was different as I was proposing to start my own independant project, using some of the stuff (and ideas) already in place in the DVDExtras project - And although legally allowed - I didn't want to go against the spirit of XBMC development

(2013-09-12, 12:14)nickr Wrote: DVDExtras was not a good long term name given we now have bluray, web based "extras" and so forth. Otherwise I would suggest naming it DVDExtras-TNG or something tacky like that.

I think I prefer VideoExtras :-) Mainly because it fits with the XBMC naming which seems to include Movies and TV Shows under Videos - so sort of fits. (Where DVDExtras seems to point to the media that the extras were stored onto originally)

(2013-09-12, 12:14)nickr Wrote: Now I just had an idea. What about including the ability to put strm files or links to video websites (youtube etc) in the extras folder? (Sorry this may be possible or thought of already and I missed it).

Possible? - Once I have created a new project you can always create a feature request for it. (Most probably a Google Project)

On a related note I have submitted a patch to TVTunes, which I'm hoping will be merged in (Fingers crossed!) - this will provide Movie themes from TVTunes, so removing the need for the MovieThemes part of DVDExtras.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1505121

If you agree with this a show of support on that forum would be good - hopefully we can get it included!
Hi there,

I believe the add-on is working now so well. If the theme option is stripped from the add-on we have a truly responsive add-on, with no lag, no glitches. It just works rock solid. I therefore support going ahead with an official new add-on (crediting Brentosmith for the work done on DVDExtras on which the new work by Rob is partially based) that will take care of all things 'Extra', leaving the theme playback capability (for which Rob has also provided a 1st working script) in the hands of a team specifically working on themes/tunes for video content.

When you have something working solidly in a particular field, that is a sign you can build on it. I see this as a means to further develop this new add-on (code name: VideoExtras) in order to include several improvements, some of them listed already on this thread by Rob himself and other users.

In the meantime DVDExtras v1.2.3 (with theme playback capability) could be made available for those who still want the theme and extras capabilities combined, knowing that it is what it is, and that there won't be any further development for the combo, unless someone wants to do it.
Best,

capfuturo

"The world must learn to work together, or finally it will not work at all" - General Eisenhower
(2013-09-12, 11:46)Rich.T. Wrote: If brentosmith's great little plugin can be made to become something which may very well end up being included as a default add-on or integrated functionality of XBMC, then it is definitely worth laying the groundwork for the project's future development. With Bluray extras becoming more commonly available, the expectation that this should be a feature of XBMC can only increase.

Totally agree.

So, we have had Ronie's reply on post #1206, from which transpires the reason why TVTunes hasn't included anymore capabilities: there is nobody developing it! (there is someone only maintaining it). Any ideas what to do here? If no one is developing TVTunes then I see 4 possible paths:
  1. Someone shows up to develop it and can keep building on what there is.
  2. We just see if it is possible to patch it and have a working TVTunes add-on (with movie themes) using the script rob has got. However it seem to me judging by Ronie's approach, that whoever does anything to TVTunes needs to maintain it too, am I right to think this?
  3. Leave it as it is, make the movietheme script available for others to take over (if someone shows interest) and keep developing VideoExtras exclusively.
  4. Take option 3 with the possibility to retake the MovieTheme script development (as standalone add-on or as part of TVTunes) somehow once significative work has been done improving VideoExtras. It doesn't have to be decided now, right?
Anybody sees other options? I believe we are also waiting for Ned Scott's reply regarding rob_webset's post #198 in order to sort the best way to go further, aren't we?
Best,

capfuturo

But is there a http://www.televisiontunes.com/ for movies?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Just wanted to post this while I have a few minutes free (summers get pretty busy for me sometimes) +1 for the new icon. Not sure who did it but I love it and hope that it survives any future name changes.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Hi All,

I have now managed to publish the 1.2.4 release of dvdextras (I am hoping this will be the last release before migrating to VideoExtras).

I have created a repository so that people can automatically pick up updates if they are needed.

You can download the repo zip from:

http://robwebset.googlecode.com/svn/rele...-1.0.0.zip

Then DVDExtras should be available from there.

NOTE: I recommend that you uninstall the old dvdextras and old brentosmith repository before installing this version - I do not know how they will behave together.

Good luck!
(2013-09-13, 01:26)wgstarks Wrote: Just wanted to post this while I have a few minutes free (summers get pretty busy for me sometimes) +1 for the new icon. Not sure who did it but I love it and hope that it survives any future name changes.

Icon kindly provided by capfuturo - credited in the change log v 1.2.2

I'm hoping he will be kind enough to provide one for VideoExtras :-)

Rob
(2013-09-13, 01:26)wgstarks Wrote: Just wanted to post this while I have a few minutes free (summers get pretty busy for me sometimes) +1 for the new icon. Not sure who did it but I love it and hope that it survives any future name changes.
Glad you like it wgstarks! I had 2 thought in mind when designing it: 1) it reflects the spirit of the add-on 2) it makes me laugh every time I look at it.

(2013-09-13, 13:31)rob_webset Wrote: I'm hoping he will be kind enough to provide one for VideoExtras :-)
Rob
I'm kind enough, no worries!
Best,

capfuturo

Hi there,

Report back regarding new 'robwebset's XBMC Addons':

1. Installation of repository from zip file: [CHECKED]
  2. Installation of latest DVDExtras via repo. (Add-ons–>Get Add-ons): [CHECKED]
  3. Latest DVDExtras v1.2.4 fully working and stable: [CHECKED]
Obs.: for reference, DVDExtras v1.2.4 still includes the theme playback option capability.
Best,

capfuturo

• 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Associate extras and/or alternative versions to a movie/TV show title8