Xmbc without jailbreak
Looking on upcoming apple devices with possibility not to have jailbreak for them at all I wonder how much changes must be made to allow XBMC to be normal application running in sandbox with the ability to sign it’s installation file with applications like iNstaSign, iModSign etc. ?

We will definitely lose the ability to browse local file system but honestly I don’t need it except very rare cases I use camera connection kit to play files from USB flash, normally I need only SMB access.
There's all sorts of unauthorized API calls and such in there... no chance of ever seeing it with Apple's rules...
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
I am not saying about XBMC being approved by apple, I want it to be signed with developer certificate as a test application and installed on end user iPad or Apple TV without jailbreak. As far as I understand you can buy certificate signed for UDID of your device for reasonable price if you are not developer. You can install any cracked iOS application by this method without need of jailbreaking device.

Have not tested this as I have iPad 2 with 5.0.1 JB now but I am thinking about iPad 3 but I don’t like it without XBMC (the only really needed Cydia tweak for iPad in my opinion).
"You can install any cracked iOS application", we don't talk about pirating here Smile
(2012-03-12, 08:05)davilla Wrote: "You can install any cracked iOS application", we don't talk about pirating here Smile

Let better say not approved by apple.
Can developer answer the question is there any other restrictions except access for file system on non jailbreaked devices, say VideoToolbox will be unacceptable etc.?
Just wondering why plex is allowed in app store (don't like plex)
(2012-03-12, 12:02)deano72 Wrote: Just wondering why plex is allowed in app store (don't like plex)

Because it's not real Plex. It's a thin client that requires a desktop computer to do all the heavy lifting.
Ah ned. Just had a thought too. Many thanks. The atv is not running the video encoding I guess which is apples problem with Xbmc using private api for videotoolbox?
(2012-03-12, 11:33)avdim Wrote:
(2012-03-12, 08:05)davilla Wrote: "You can install any cracked iOS application", we don't talk about pirating here Smile

Let better say not approved by apple.
Can developer answer the question is there any other restrictions except access for file system on non jailbreaked devices, say VideoToolbox will be unacceptable etc.?

since you would be running sandboxed there will be no HW acceleration for HD content
There where some devs (out of team xbmc) which tried to get XBMC working with a dev cert. It just didn't work. Feel free to find the solution for this, but i think team xbmc won't put any work on that.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
As a crude work around there is AirPlay mirroring, but you need a jailbroken iPad 2 or iPhone 4s.

Michael
Now there are different ways to install app without jailbreak on all devices. Would be great to have XBMC (although it has a more limited functionality) on iDevices without jailbreak.

It seems that iOS jail 6.xx is very complicated and there isn´t favorable news from the developers.
Many users with iPhone 5 and iPad 4th generation can not enjoy the best media center available. In my case, XBMC is the only reason to jailbreak my Ipad.

Please think about it.

Thank you.
Its not about thinking. Its just hard to do / nearly impossible.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Someone actually got a version of XBMC without hardware decoding up on the App Store once. Even that version broke all sorts of rules and shouldn't have been approved, but stuff like that does slip by from time to time. In any case, it was a horrible experience for those who were able to grab a copy and try. On top of that they were charging for it and masquerading it around as if it was from us (it's actually okay to charge money for XBMC, the GLP allows for it, but don't pretend to be us when you do).

I can only imagine the horror it would be if XBMC was coded to follow all of Apple's App Store rules. I don't think you could honestly call it XBMC.
That version didn't even work on my devices. (just black screen) - but hey it was only 8 euros... Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xmbc without jailbreak0