Whats everyone using for input devices (remotes/keyboards/game controllers)???
So I purchased everything for my XBMC and UnRaid build almost 7 months ago but due to military deployments have just gotten the time to set everything up and configure it. I still need to order a remote/keyboard/game controller solution.

My ussage will be 80% video playback and 10% games, 10% internet/computing. I imagine the best solution will be having a 'tv like' remote to use the majority of the time, a wireless keyboard mouse that i'll keep under the coffee table for certain games and computer related tasks and game controllers for use with emulators and multiplayer games.

Anyone have any suggestions for these requirements? Is there a better solution than having 3 different sets of remotes?

Suggestions for each of the 3 catagories is welcomed!

*Remote for general video/XBMC navigation

*Keyboard/mice combo to be kept in coffee table

*game controllers for emulator games
First off as far as games go if your goin to be using the WSAD keys for movement your going to need a full size keyboard or game controller
As far as remotes you cant go wrong with Harmony Remotes. Ether the 650, 700 or one.
+1 for HArmony 650 Remote...
dont fall for the cheaper 300 model....
you'll be very sorry LoL
other good choices here --> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=117372

as keyboard, it depends on your taste..
u can have a look at my keyboard guide here --> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=117231
just pick one!

as for game controllers, well, i dont play games really,,,
but if i had to, i'd buy the Microsoft XBOX 360 WIreless Game Controller for PC --> http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B...dition=new

alrighty then, happy shopping
Thanks Eskro I was looking for that thread

I personally have 2 MCE remotes mapped to be used as a mouse when the Windows button is pressed and all the needed xbmc shortcuts are mapped too...(i have two in case I cant find one), I also have a wireless mouse and keyboard (also mapped to be a mouse when the right windows key is held down) as a backup, rarely used...a 360 wireless controller I have mapped to play Nes, Snes, N64, Ps1, Ps2, Sega...etc...and to use with XBMC and windows explorer (You would be surprised to learn that file management is much easier with a 360 remote than a keyboard...I also have my laptop running "mouse without boarders" so I can use my laptop's mouse and keyboard to control my HTPC...oh, and I have a Biostar remote app for my android phone to work on my biostar motherboard (which some how doesn't get the wifi lag that other smart phone remote apps do)...I have been thinking of trading a MCE remote for a universal remote so I could turn my TV on and off and controll my HTPC with one remote...but since my HTPC does everything from live tv to bluray burning on and off is all I can't do on my MCE remote.

PS, I also have the Teamviewer app on my phone so I can set my tv to record a show or download a movie while I am out of the house or in another room...so I guess that counts as another input device.
I absolutely love my Boxee remote. Simplistic buttons on top, (think appleTV remote) and a nearly-full keyboard on bottom.

Works great with xbmclive and openelec. It's also RF to boot! I could use it in another room and it'll still work Smile
Im using this one its been pretty good so far. The mouse feature takes some getting used to but the keyboard is fine and it has a backlight'

http://www.ipazzport.com/16.html
Although not mentioned in Eskro's thread.. the Adesso ARC-1100 MCE is a great choice for XBMC. The only drawback is that you have to use a button mapping tool such as EG in order to get all buttons customized. If you don't use EG or a suitable alternative with the remote, it still works out of the box for XBMC but only for BASIC functions.
or unless you pair it with a FLIRC.tv USB IR dongle
remote - an all-in-one remote (Harmony One) that control my tv, my stereo & my xbmc.

keyboard & mouse - I have a netbook that I use as a remote keyboard and remote mouse. You can't get more perfect than that because its not a new keyboard/mouse to get used to. and visitors can easily pick it up and use it as a remote keyboard & mouse. It's got a tiny version of linux on it called lubuntu so it boots in about 20 seconds, so happy with this solution. The software that allows the magic to happen is called synergy. None of the problems of remote keyboards apply to me ie works at any distance, always works, doesn't drop anykeys, don't have to get used to a new layout etc etc.

game controllers - i have my nintendo wii controller (often called a 'wiimote') setup so that anytime i want to play a game through xbmc i just need to pick up the remote and press buttons 1+2 together and it starts working. The software that allows that magic to happen is called glovepie.

its taken about 4 months of trial and error, tinkering & reading reviews etc, but I finally ahve a solution im happy with.
Rapoo E9080

I just got this one through the post this morning, which is by far the best wireless keyboard I've used.

Has the quality feel of the Apple wireless and an excellent trackpad at it's side.

Check out; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M_HaLbmxkw for a demo vid. You can pick them up on ebay for about 40 US dollars.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Whats everyone using for input devices (remotes/keyboards/game controllers)???0