Linux HOOK's Extended unRAID (NAS / APPSW / VMHosting)
Star 
As of today, I'm running unRAID v6.2.0-Stable w/3TB Parity; update:28.5TB storage

Uses:
  • NAS - 28.5TB Storage Capacity
  • VM Hosting - Win10 Machine serving Plex; Win 10 Machine with Kodi v16.1 installed used to auto-update Kodi database to MySQL; Win 7 Machine for Media Monkey audio manager / UPnP Server
  • APPSW - SickRage; Cadvisor; Handbrake; Krusader; MariaDB, SABnzbd; Transmission; Maraschino

Creation:
13Bay unRAID NAS w/250gb Cache (Cost: $467) less HD's and ProLic.

HD's: 10 WD Caviar Green | 2 WD RED NAS Drives | 1 Toshiba 2.5' SSD 128G used for cache HD / AppData / Docker Image | 1 Patriot Pyro SSD 120G used for VM Images (mounted outside of array using the Unassigned Devices plg).

CASE
Antec DF-35 Black Steel Computer Case

MOBO+iGPU:
SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSL-F-O

CPU:
Intel Core i3-6320 Skylake Dual-Core 3.9 GHz

PSU:
CORSAIR CMPSU-430CX 430W 80Plus certified ATX12V

RAM:
Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (1 x 16G) DDR4 2133 Server Memory ECC DIMM

SAS:
SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCI Express x4 Low Profile SAS RAID Controller

Drive Cage:
iStarUSA BPN-DE350SS-RED 3x5.25" to 5x3.5" SAS/SATA 6.0 Gb/s Trayless Hot-Swap Cage

I decided to go with a few additions that I left out in my last build including the SAS Raid controller.. and a cache drive. The benefits the SAS provides are pretty obvious. The one I choose was recommended directly from the unRAID wiki and boasts superior performance an expandability over a traditional PCIe SATA extender.

I also decided to add a cache drive to my array for torrent'n and an increase in transfer performance and speed. However, the benefits of adding a cache drive as opposed to not, have been extensively debated. The pro's and con's of the cache drive feature can be read about HERE. As for my experience so far... I have seen a significant jump in speed when transferring files to my box. Prior to cache I was lucky to hit between 20-25MB/s when sending files from my NZB share to my unRAID box. After adding the cache... solid 69-70MB/s.

ImageImage
ImageImage

CHEERS!!
Great job!
Even though my 6 HD unraid isn't even half full I've been itching to upgrade to a pro license....

Love the hot swap ports...and thanks for the info on the unmenu.
I haven't tried unmenu but need to give it a whirl!
Hook! Great build, I love that external 2.5" drive bay! It doesn't make it too noisy when it's accessing the hard drive with it being out in the open like that does it?
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

Very Cool!!! I've been meaning to get a new MOBO and CPU,...will probably go with what you purchased.
Thanks for the great pictures.

Also, great tip about the USB stick.
I licensed unRaid using a pretty big USB,..and wished that I had brought a new mini stick.
(2012-08-28, 02:32)dtviewer Wrote: Even though my 6 HD unraid isn't even half full I've been itching to upgrade to a pro license....

Thanks for the compliment.Wink Hey, my old 6 drive unRAID box had all six drives in it with 9TB capacity, but I had only used about 6.5TB. I built this new one in anticipation of expansion..(Future proof). It's never to early to get started. Just don't tell the wife I told you to do it!Big Grin

(2012-08-28, 02:32)dtviewer Wrote: Love the hot swap ports.
Yes...they are very cool. Eventually when I upgrade to 3TB drives.. it will be a snap just opening the bottom front bay door and pulling out the old and replacing it with the new.

(2012-08-28, 02:32)dtviewer Wrote: ...and thanks for the info on the unmenu haven't tried but need to give it a whirl!
Actually it's the unRAID-WEB package that I'm recommending. unMENU is integrated within unRAID-WEB. Screen shots for you of GUI on just a few feature tabs:

(2012-08-28, 14:09)Mick1152 Wrote: Hook! Great build, I love that external 2.5" drive bay! It doesn't make it too noisy when it's accessing the hard drive with it being out in the open like that does it?

Thanks... Absolutely not. The only time I can hear any of the drives is when they initially spin-up! One thing I forgot to mention was how quiet this build is. Antec makes some great cases....the one i choose is not the prettiest, but it has all the features I was looking for!
(2012-08-28, 14:15)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: Very Cool!!! I've been meaning to get a new MOBO and CPU,...will probably go with what you purchased.
Thanks for the great pictures.

Also, great tip about the USB stick.
I licensed unRaid using a pretty big USB,..and wished that I had brought a new mini stick.

Thanks...Gort..

Yes the USB stick was placed on the inside of case to avoid any hazards, my littile daughter included. Also, how many of us have left an exposed USB stick in the front or back of the case while working on a build and tipped the case on top of the USB stick....ouchTongue I would hate to email Tom and explain that I need a new GUID license after cracking my stick! YES... inside is the way to go!
New pics.... had to clean-up cables a lil' bit... Looked like a mess of spider-webs before. Can't have a clear glass side with it looking messy inside. And please excuse the multi-color side fan, I needed a side exhaust fan and this one was the only one i had. Plan on ordering a blue or white to match the others. Also... small issue!! When I opened the case last night to fix my cables I noticed one of the MOLEX connectors yellow wire was pulled out. I hope this happened after I shut-off the array. Of course I put the cable back in and things seem to be fine.. My question is this.. What is the yellow MOLEX wire for and can a HD run if it is unplugged? I seem to think this happened prior to my shutting of the arrayHuh

Image Image

Better view of top 2.5" hotswap cache drive

How many drives can you fit in this case? I'm approaching maxing my 11bay NAS, would love a Fractal Design Define XL but they are too expensive
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
(2012-08-28, 18:06)CpTHOOK Wrote: Also... small issue!! When I opened the case last night to fix my cables I noticed one of the MOLEX connectors yellow wire was pulled out. I hope this happened after I shut-off the array. Of course I put the cable back in and things seem to be fine.. My question is this.. What is the yellow MOLEX wire for and can a HD run if it is unplugged? I seem to think this happened prior to my shutting of the arrayHuh

That is the 12V wire (reference) and I believe that most hard drives only need the extra juice from the 12V for the motors, so maybe the disc in question was spun down when the wire popped out. It was only 12V so it shouldn't have arced when it came unplugged and your hard drive should be unharmed.
HTPC: i5 3570K || Noctua NH-L12 || ASRock Z77E-ITX || 8GB Samsung Eco || Intel 330 120GB || Lian Li PC-Q09 ||
Main Desktop: i7 2600k @ 4.8Ghz || Epic 180 on Epic T1000 TIM || Asus Z68 Deluxe || 16GB Ripjaws @ 2133 ||
|| Maingear Shift || EVGA 8800GTS 640MB || OWC Mecury Electra 3G || 320GB, 2x500GB, 1.5Tb, 2x2TB ||
Nice build!

Next time i get the itch to build a pc, I'm going to seriously consider an unRAID box. I'm currently using DriveBender on an 18TB pool.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2012-08-28, 21:29)charlie0440 Wrote: How many drives can you fit in this case? I'm approaching maxing my 11bay NAS, would love a Fractal Design Define XL but they are too expensive

Well... technically the case has only space for seven 3.5" drives natively and two 2.5" drives(one internal and one external hot-swap) along with a three 5.25" optical drive bays. So... I added the 4 in 3 drive cage in order to add 4 more 3.5" drives. SO...total capacity would be 11.... 3.5" drives and two 2.5" drives for a total of 13. I listed only twelve simply because the bottom 2.5" bay sits under the case itself so I will not be using it! Anything more than this would require a heavier PSU than is listed in my current build. If your at 11, then my case would be of little advantage to you if any!

Let me ask you... what size drives are you using currenly? Maybe replace current drives with larger ones, then add the replaced drives to a second build. If it comes down to it with me, that is certainly my plan.

(2012-08-28, 22:09)SSDD Wrote: That is the 12V wire (reference) and I believe that most hard drives only need the extra juice from the 12V for the motors, so maybe the disc in question was spun down when the wire popped out. It was only 12V so it shouldn't have arced when it came unplugged and your hard drive should be unharmed.

Kool... I have been roaming around goolge and it seems that most are saying the the yellow MOLEX wire for HD's specifially is a requirement in order to operate properly. SO...Im sure if the yellow wire came out while the drive was plugged into the active array, unRAID would have recognized the issue and listed the failure in the SysLOG. It probably came out while I was fumbleing around inside the case. I'm still kinda paranoid about it tho'.

(2012-08-28, 22:22)thrak76 Wrote: Nice build!

Next time i get the itch to build a pc, I'm going to seriously consider an unRAID box. I'm currently using DriveBender on an 18TB pool.

Yes.... unRAID is a great piece of kit.. Actually I know nothing else. There are a few others out there FlexRaid and such.. I have no clue about any of them. I read up on unRAID bacause of my experiences in this forum, learned all i could about it then started building. Both of the unRAID boxes I've built and operated so far have had zero operational issues. Kinda hesitant about drifting into new waters when it comes to backing up my data especially when I'm currently using something that works. By the way, what is Drive Bender? I'm a bout to google it!
Cool new set up man.... love your case. You seen the DF-85?

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...#msg123272

About to get that for an unraid build.... Wink but it's not for me.

Hehe we keep upgrading and it never stops eh..... nice to see your new build. Nod

I get about 35-40 MB/s constant with out a cache drive... awesome to see you get 70 MB/s...

Alright playa...... keep up the good work.

(2012-08-29, 10:34)Beer40oz Wrote: Cool new set up man.... love your case. You seen the DF-85?

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...#msg123272

About to get that for an unraid build.... Wink but it's not for me.

Hehe we keep upgrading and it never stops eh..... nice to see your new build. Nod

I get about 35-40 MB/s constant with out a cache drive... awesome to see you get 70 MB/s...

Man... I was gonna get that case but it was too expensive.. almost 3x as much as i paid for the DF-35. BUT...yours will hold more drives, I believe 3 more to be exact and it is quite gorgeous with those red LED fans. We have gotta keep upgrading bro, it's the nature of the beast. Hope the DF-85 build works out great!! FYI, the cooler-master drive cage fits perfect in these cases.

Yes... the addition of the cache drive has improved my TX speeds almost 4x... Here are the results transferring a file to a share that uses cache and a share that does not:

Without cache drive...

With cache drive...

How did you add a cache drive? I have not gotten that far.... Smile I have a spare 2.5 320gig drive.... can you tell me more about it... I don't really know if I need it or not... all I use my server is for vids, music, pics... etc... backup... i have separate machine that I do my other stuff.... for my unRAID lic... I have Pro...
(2012-08-29, 18:50)Beer40oz Wrote: How did you add a cache drive? I have not gotten that far.... Smile I have a spare 2.5 320gig drive.... can you tell me more about it... I don't really know if I need it or not... all I use my server is for vids, music, pics... etc... backup... i have separate machine that I do my other stuff.... for my unRAID lic... I have Pro...

Check the screen shot here... First add your 320gb drive to your box..and start unRAID ; stop your array...then you will notice the cache option at the very bottom. When you click the cache option on the bottom just choose your new drive in the drop-down menu!! Easy as pie. Then you can choose with of your shares will use the cache drive and which ones will not at the shares option tab!

...keep me posted!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOOK's Extended unRAID (NAS / APPSW / VMHosting)2