Linux My First HTPC
Well I read ALOT of posts before I built this. I think I did well! My budget was $300 Total, Went over a little bit (Darn sales tax!)

MB: Gigabyte A75M-D2H 102.99
CPU: AMD A4-X2-3400 59.99
CASE: Skinny and Long with 275W PSU 49.99
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333 29.99
SSD: 60GB Agility 3 by OCZ 69.99 - 15MIR

Total Cost 297.95 --316 with tax

Only problem I had was that I forgot to update the bios. I had no sound via HDMI with ANY os.. update the bios, tweaked the sound.. Now everything works smooth via the XBMCbuntu Eden 11.0

Why did you chose that shop?

Why not this mother board? Asrock A55M-HVS
Why 8GB RAM? 4GB will be more than enough.
Why that case?

I chose that shop because it was instate, retail location. I like being able to go somewhere and yell at someone if they sell me bunk parts.
I went with the case, because it was $50 and included the Power Supply. It fits nice on my TV stand as well.

I went with the gigabyte board because it was the only board they had that used USB3, SATA-III With the processor I chose
I went with 8GB ram because of the on board graphics, and just in case I needed to run windows, it was $10 more for 8gb over 4gb. Though I think I'd of been better served putting it into the A6 processor..

I wish they had that board in stock, looks great at that price point.

Nice to hear that XBMC run well with AMD on Linux.
(2012-03-26, 21:24)jachred Wrote: I chose that shop because it was instate, retail location. I like being able to go somewhere and yell at someone if they sell me bunk parts.
I went with the case, because it was $50 and included the Power Supply. It fits nice on my TV stand as well.

I went with the gigabyte board because it was the only board they had that used USB3, SATA-III With the processor I chose
I went with 8GB ram because of the on board graphics, and just in case I needed to run windows, it was $10 more for 8gb over 4gb. Though I think I'd of been better served putting it into the A6 processor..

I wish they had that board in stock, looks great at that price point.

Well, I would go for 4GB and an A6, the A6 has a stronger GPU than the A4. And even a W7 pc doesn't use 4GB Smile
Yeah.. Rookie mistake. Smile I will get the better processor next time.. If wife approves, I need to build two more. So getting them around $200 would be nice, and with that $50 off MB, $10 off RAM. That would get it down to $230

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My First HTPC0