• 1(current)
Linux AudioEngine testers - Linux only
This thread will gather feedback for AudioEngine on the Linux platform. This thread will be used to attempt to track down potential bugs in the code before they are reported to the AudioEngine developers.

The primary AudioEngine thread is for development purposes only: only bug reports or developer oriented discussion should take place in that thread.

For Windows users, please refer to this thread: Windows AudioEngine testers

The main source code is now included in xbmc master! here.

Now that AE is in master, nightly builds should be posted. PPA instructions for Ubuntu users are here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33327

Ubuntu compile instructions: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...DME.ubuntu

Reporting

For command output (aplay -L and the like), please put the output in code blocks. For longer output, such as logs, please use a service like pastebin.

Always post the full xbmc log! Failure to post the entire log will receive NO support!

Current Known Issues:
  • PulseAudio is not fully supported under AE. Pulse is DISABLED by default in AE right now. However:

(2012-05-10, 16:47)spiff Wrote: for those like me who are pained by the lack of pulse at your workstation;

./configure --enable-pulse now will give you a warty, yet working, version with pulse.

Other Random Notes
  • Due to the way the fglrx drivers are implemented in Linux, ATI based cards cannot stream HD audio via HDMI (DTS and Dolby 5.1 are not HD audio codecs. You can still get surround sound, just not TrueHD or DTS-HD). This is because their audio system cannot handle more than 2 channels. At the current time, the radeon open-source driver only supports 2 channel HDMI audio when running Linux kernel >= 3.3. (http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.ph...HDMI-Audio)
  • Due to bugs in the 295.x nVidia drivers, it is recommended that users use the 290.x versions. If you are having issues on 295.x, try downgrading your driver as a troubleshooting step.
HTPC: Gentoo linux amd64 w/ xbmc merged with AE
Aww man... I was about to get my hands down and dirty and try to compile AE. So are you saying I'm outta luck with my Ati HD5450 on ubuntu?

It's been a while since I've had my back speakers connected but I'm pretty sure I got 5.1 sound via HDMI last time they were up... or I'm loosing my mind Smile
Hi, I've tried but I failed Smile
xbmc from gnif git repository is compiling fine but I have no sound. xbmc eden is working fine.
According to the forum it seems related to Alsa but I don't find the reason why on my setup.

I use a mac mini 4,1.

Output from xbmc.log:
22:07:51 T:80481136 ERROR: CAESinkALSA::Initialize - snd_pcm_open_lconf(-16) - plug:hdmi
22:07:51 T:80481136 ERROR: CAESinkOSS::Initialize - Failed to get supported formats, assuming AFMT_S16_NE

I use the custom device (tested with aplay):
aplay -D hw:CARD=0,DEV=8 /media/Music/FLAC/ROOTS\ MANUVA\ -\ Brand\ New\ Second\ Hand_\[PTR\]/01\ movements.wav

If someone has an idea.

I currently have the Xvba version installed but would like to play around with the AE build. How do I compile it without hosing my current xbmc installation? Uber noob here.. havent compiled a thing in my life before.

Thanks
@punglist: please paste-bin your full log

@abudabi: run bootstrap.sh and then just build it (run: make), but don't run "make install" and run it from that directory (./xbmc.bin)
I am not scared of SVN - Cutting my hands open on the bleeding edge.
This is a interesting thread that I will continue to follow.. I already have 2 devices (nVidia ION1 and 520M) where I'm planning to install XBMC Linux on with the future AE...

Ps. To bad I don't have enough knowledge of compiling it.. So I'll be waiting for some binaries.
Media player: Xtreamer Ultra 2 XBMC v13 RC 1 Gotham, iPhone 4s & iPad mini Retina
LCD: Sony KDL-46HX920 - Receiver: Onkyo TX-R577 - Speakers: Mission e34 5.1 & MS10 - Remote: Harmony Smart Control
Router: Asus RT-N66U - NAS: Synology DS1512+ 15 TB - PC: Intel I7 @4.5 Ghz HD7950 3GB
(2012-04-12, 08:33)Roelio Wrote: Ps. To bad I don't have enough knowledge of compiling it.. So I'll be waiting for some binaries.

You and me both.. nothing like diving in head first

I found this and this link which I'm going to attempt with gniff's suggestions.
@abudali Great info I'm definitely gonna look into that.

ps. the OP mentioned something about us people to please not become a tester so I think it's wise to move out.
Media player: Xtreamer Ultra 2 XBMC v13 RC 1 Gotham, iPhone 4s & iPad mini Retina
LCD: Sony KDL-46HX920 - Receiver: Onkyo TX-R577 - Speakers: Mission e34 5.1 & MS10 - Remote: Harmony Smart Control
Router: Asus RT-N66U - NAS: Synology DS1512+ 15 TB - PC: Intel I7 @4.5 Ghz HD7950 3GB
Yup.. next time you hear from me it will be because of a bug report Big Grin
pulse is now disabled in gnif's AE branch until it works again and gnif's has merged his branch with master (frodo-pre).
Please Note: It's not yet merged into our master branch.

and it seems like modern intel hardware (core i3 and upwards) doesn't support (on linux):

1. probing what is supported on the other end of the hdmi connection and
2. HD audio passthrough. MultiPCM works.

testing continues
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

EDID detection should work with a 3.2 kernel and Sandybridge/Ivybridge processors - least it did for me (I've switched back to my nvidia card for now so cannot check unless I yank it again). However at the time - this was some weeks ago now before all of Gnif's recent changes - all I got was the receiver dropping in and out of Multi In and lots of static with DTS HD Master and Dolby TrueHD. The log reported constant buffer underruns (someone posted similar in the Audioengine topic and I replied with "same" to that. You need a 3.3 kernel for CEA mode detection.

This weekend I may faff around with it again and see if it works now - I wondered at the time if it was an ALSA issue rather than Audioengine.
(2012-04-10, 12:23)abudabi Wrote: Aww man... I was about to get my hands down and dirty and try to compile AE. So are you saying I'm outta luck with my Ati HD5450 on ubuntu?

It's been a while since I've had my back speakers connected but I'm pretty sure I got 5.1 sound via HDMI last time they were up... or I'm loosing my mind Smile

You will be able to get DTS and Dolby 5.1 via HDMI because those two formats only utilize two channels. The HD codecs such as DTS-HD and TrueHD require more than two channels. fglrx and OSS drivers on Linux only implement 2 channels via HDMI on ALSA. Supposedly they need additional information from AMD regarding how to get > 2 channels to work but AMD is caught up in constant legal red tape.

I ran an ATI card at first with AE and got constant errors that ALSA could not open the required number of channels for HD codecs. My research to date is that ATI based cards still cannot passthrough > 2 channel audio. You can, however, use ffmpeg to decode the audio first and then output via PCM to your receiver. Not the best situation but it will work. I ended up just switching to an nVidia card.

(2012-04-11, 21:33)abudabi Wrote: I currently have the Xvba version installed but would like to play around with the AE build. How do I compile it without hosing my current xbmc installation? Uber noob here.. havent compiled a thing in my life before.

(2012-04-12, 08:33)Roelio Wrote: Ps. To bad I don't have enough knowledge of compiling it.. So I'll be waiting for some binaries.

(2012-04-12, 12:42)Roelio Wrote: ps. the OP mentioned something about us people to please not become a tester so I think it's wise to move out.

Mostly because some experience with git and compiling was necessary. Now that gnif has officially updated his branch with the core xbmc code, I'd feel more comfortable posting binaries. I'll update the first post with generic compile instructions and then compile an x86 and x86_64 build on Ubuntu later.
HTPC: Gentoo linux amd64 w/ xbmc merged with AE
@wingrunr21 I completely understand the reason for this. Gratitude for the update!
Anybody know which NVIDIA cards support AE? What is the cutoff?

thanks,
noumenon
(2012-04-13, 15:56)wingrunr21 Wrote: ...
You will be able to get DTS and Dolby 5.1 via HDMI because those two formats only utilize two channels. The HD codecs such as DTS-HD and TrueHD require more than two channels. fglrx and OSS drivers on Linux only implement 2 channels via HDMI on ALSA. Supposedly they need additional information from AMD regarding how to get > 2 channels to work but AMD is caught up in constant legal red tape.

I ran an ATI card at first with AE and got constant errors that ALSA could not open the required number of channels for HD codecs. My research to date is that ATI based cards still cannot passthrough > 2 channel audio. You can, however, use ffmpeg to decode the audio first and then output via PCM to your receiver. Not the best situation but it will work. I ended up just switching to an nVidia card. ...

@wingrun21 - thanks for coming back to my issue #184 on Openelec. I had figured as much that no more than two channels were being passed over HDMI on my ATI GPU and that I'd have to wait on AMD to release some driver improvements. I'll probably just stick with Windows for the moment as the motherboard supports multichannel and HD audio just fine in that environment.

• 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AudioEngine testers - Linux only4