Hi all,

I plan on building my first real HTPC.

My needs are:
  • Streaming multiples movie files from a FreeNAS box
  • Play YouTube videos
  • MP3 playback, which are stored on the FreeNAS box too
  • Picture view
  • Would like Netflix or any Netflix-like service to work

I wish to use Linux but I know Netflix is problematic with Linux for now (and maybe forever...)

I have multiple PC parts lying around and I thought I could start with that base:
  • K8V-MX Asus Motherboard (socket 754)
  • Turion ML-37 (1.8Ghz, 1mb cache single core processor, TDP 35W)
  • GeForce 6200 256mb fanless AGP (is it enough for 1080p playback ?)
  • CNPS7000AlCu CPU cooler (no choice for the Turion as it doesn't have an IHS)
  • A PCI WiFi-N card

I have a spare 16GB Nano USB key lying around too, I may install XBMCbuntu on it otherwise I do have a couple of small SATA spare HDD (40-80GB)
I will first hook it to a 22in Asus LCD monitor (1920x1080) and VS2121 Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers as I already own them. I also have 2x1gb DDR400 Ram modules to throw it in, guess it should be enough.

I would like to buy THIS remote and did not settle on the case for the moment, I may just use a standard mATX tower case for that build since I am planning on building something brand new when I'll moved and change the monitor for a real TV. Parts I own also don't have LP brackets so I would need a new video card and a new wifi card or using a USB wifi dongle (which I owned)

Otherwise, I love Antec Microfusion Nod so I may just go that way and simply remove videocard bracket and use the USB dongle ...
As for the post proof-of-concept war machine...

I was setted on:
E45M1-i Deluxe (Which include WiFi and Video)
2x2GB DDR3-1333 Kingston
Kingston 32GB SSDNow! Solid State Disk
Antec ISK-300 w/ 75 or 150W PSU
Remote: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=29147&vpn=...Mediasonic

Still planning on using XBMCbuntu
So my two main questions are the following:

Will the proof of concept (K8V-MX based) machine be enough to run XBMCbuntu and have a non-choppy 1080p playback if needed ?

And is the Fusion APU/Asus motherboard supported out-of-the box with XBMCbuntu latest version ?

I am especially wondering about the wifi card integrated in this board.
XBMCbuntu is rater new...
im not sure how stable AMD APU's are...
I would have prefered Asus ION Motherboard but seems like they are not offered in Canada... Sad
welcome to my country Tongue

dont we like high shipping charges?
well, I may call it from a US vendor ... I also spotted a D2700+GT 520 motherboard, Zotac ... which could be great too. I am just not sure about Zotac's product as I am used to Asus ones without complaints for many many years...

What do you think about the Asus K8V-MX build ? I checked my spare parts and found an IDE-CF adapter and a 16GB CF card 266 or 300x ...
Zotac is OK, Ihave a ZBOX ID41 for xbmc media player. I also use a ZOTAC M880G-ITX WiFi as a main board for my FreeNAS with zfs (because of low-power, 8G RAM and 6 SATA-3 channels on board + mini-itx form factor. So nothing wrong with ZOTAC in general.
I've also looked at the ZBox ID-80 which seems a great little box. The only thing I don't like about them is the lighten blue rim I hope it's not annoying when sitting next to the TV.

Anyone having an opinion about the Turion build ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My first builds0