• 8(current)
Completed my A6-Pack Build and an unRaid server (with pictures)
(2012-07-19, 13:42)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: Just a suggestion but, I'd recommend getting a Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2 since it's not much more than than the 64G
While I have plenty of room left on mine,..I find that I have to be extremely diligent about where something new is installed.
I've especially warned my family to NOT install anything on the system.
It's so easy to install something and forget to do the custom install so you can choose another drive.
However,...if you wanted to save the extra money, 64G is just fine.

The Crucial SSD you recommend has a max read rate of 550 MBps and a max write rate of 175 MBps.
Compared thereto the ADATA XPG SP900 ASP900S3-128GM-C 2.5 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) has a max read rate of 550 MBps and a max write rate of 505 MBps. They both cost almost the same.

Don't I get more for the money when buying the Adata or is there something I am missing?
Not familiar with that brand. I suppose it's one of those things that if you're willing to give something a try,..then full steam ahead.
Me,..I'd rather not chances especially when that the drive I'd be installing the OS on.

But I do follow your logic and wouldn't tell you, not to buy it.
Try googling that manufacturer/brand and see what you come up with.
(2012-07-20, 18:36)Bleikur Wrote:
(2012-07-19, 13:42)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: Just a suggestion but, I'd recommend getting a Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2 since it's not much more than than the 64G
While I have plenty of room left on mine,..I find that I have to be extremely diligent about where something new is installed.
I've especially warned my family to NOT install anything on the system.
It's so easy to install something and forget to do the custom install so you can choose another drive.
However,...if you wanted to save the extra money, 64G is just fine.

The Crucial SSD you recommend has a max read rate of 550 MBps and a max write rate of 175 MBps.
Compared thereto the ADATA XPG SP900 ASP900S3-128GM-C 2.5 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) has a max read rate of 550 MBps and a max write rate of 505 MBps. They both cost almost the same.

Don't I get more for the money when buying the Adata or is there something I am missing?

I don't know about the Adata unit you referenced, but people recommend Crucial because recently there were a lot of SSD's with buggy control chips. The SSD's in question were causing random Blue Screen of Death, reboots, errors, etc. I dealt with one of these units personally and although a firmware fix eventually came out, my wife had already lost faith in the computer's stability. (example link)

In summary, the Adata could be a valid option, but do your homework to make sure it is a solid choice.
HTPC: i5 3570K || Noctua NH-L12 || ASRock Z77E-ITX || 8GB Samsung Eco || Intel 330 120GB || Lian Li PC-Q09 ||
Main Desktop: i7 2600k @ 4.8Ghz || Epic 180 on Epic T1000 TIM || Asus Z68 Deluxe || 16GB Ripjaws @ 2133 ||
|| Maingear Shift || EVGA 8800GTS 640MB || OWC Mecury Electra 3G || 320GB, 2x500GB, 1.5Tb, 2x2TB ||
(2012-07-20, 20:52)SSDD Wrote: .....my wife had already lost faith in the computer's stability. (example link)

That's the last thing you ever want to happen. Big Grin
Happy Wife, Happy Life!
(2012-07-20, 21:01)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: That's the last thing you ever want to happen. Big Grin
Happy Wife, Happy Life!

That is how I try to live my life sir
HTPC: i5 3570K || Noctua NH-L12 || ASRock Z77E-ITX || 8GB Samsung Eco || Intel 330 120GB || Lian Li PC-Q09 ||
Main Desktop: i7 2600k @ 4.8Ghz || Epic 180 on Epic T1000 TIM || Asus Z68 Deluxe || 16GB Ripjaws @ 2133 ||
|| Maingear Shift || EVGA 8800GTS 640MB || OWC Mecury Electra 3G || 320GB, 2x500GB, 1.5Tb, 2x2TB ||
Will be purchasing this shortly since a neighbor has this device and I found it to be very cool:
CE Compass Mini Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse PC Remote Control

I had originally tried to sell him on another keyboard,..but I'm glad he picked this one.

-sigh- So little money,...so many cool toys..... Undecided
(2012-07-30, 14:39)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: -sigh- So little money,...so many cool toys..... Undecided

Amen
Can't believe it's been 3 months since I built this HTPC and unRaid machines.
Gotta say,..if I had to do it again,..I'd use the same parts all over again.
My family has loved this system,..and they show it off to their friends when they stop over.
They treat it as if they built it. You should hear them describe the parts,...so proud of them.
It's funny when they describe the Shuriken.

I'll be building one just like it for another neighbor who saw my system last week.
He also wants an unRaid server. Time to think about what I get in returnHuh? Hmmmm.
Maybe I'll just ask for an Amazon gift certificate so I can decide later.
about the a6 -3500
you play full bluray without stutter?
even 3d
right?
Hows the remote control doing?
I going to built same HTPC as yours.

last part is needed - remote control to power on/off HTPC wake from sleep and control XBMC
it would be nice to have 1 remote to control my TV receiver and HTPC all together.
(2012-08-10, 17:13)Skank Wrote: about the a6 -3500
even 3d
right?

Yes, bluray is working amazingly well and no stutter.
I don't have a 3D capable TV just yet,..but that is on my long term wish list.
Shh,...don't tell my wife. Ha!
(2012-08-10, 18:18)embedded Wrote: Hows the remote control doing?

last part is needed - remote control to power on/off HTPC wake from sleep and control XBMC
it would be nice to have 1 remote to control my TV receiver and HTPC all together.

The remotes I have are working great.
My son mostly uses the remote,..while I prefer using the keyboard.

Remotes are funny,...since everytime I look at them,..I want another one.
They seem to be the relatively cheap part of the HTPC. So even if you buy a stinker,..you're not out that much.
(2012-08-10, 18:46)GortWillSaveUs Wrote:
(2012-08-10, 17:13)Skank Wrote: about the a6 -3500
even 3d
right?

Yes, bluray is working amazingly well and no stutter.
I don't have a 3D capable TV just yet,..but that is on my long term wish list.
Shh,...don't tell my wife. Ha!
(2012-08-10, 18:18)embedded Wrote: Hows the remote control doing?

The remotes I have are working great.
My son mostly uses the remote,..while I prefer using the keyboard.

Remotes are funny,...since everytime I look at them,..I want another one.
They seem to be the relatively cheap part of the HTPC. So even if you buy a stinker,..you're not out that much.

Can you accomplish what I'm looking for with your remote?

I'm open to other working recommendations for remote controllers and IR receiver.

10x
(2012-08-10, 15:13)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: I'll be building one just like it for another neighbor who saw my system last week.
He also wants an unRaid server. Time to think about what I get in returnHuh? Hmmmm.
I hope that you are ready to provide tech support......building it is easy, but tech support is the hardest thing.....!

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-08-10, 19:03)embedded Wrote: Can you accomplish what I'm looking for with your remote?

I'm open to other working recommendations for remote controllers and IR receiver.

10x

I didn't even try to power on/off at this time.
I use sleep mode most of the time,..so I pretty much get instant on and off that way.
(2012-08-10, 19:21)bluray Wrote:
(2012-08-10, 15:13)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: I'll be building one just like it for another neighbor who saw my system last week.
I hope that you are ready to provide tech support......building it is easy, but tech support is the hardest thing.....!

Exactly and I totally agree.
Yup,...I've factored that into the discussion before the parts are even purchased.
The good thing is that almost all of the people I've built for are tech savvy,..but just didn't have the time to do a build.
(2012-08-10, 20:19)GortWillSaveUs Wrote:
(2012-08-10, 19:03)embedded Wrote: Can you accomplish what I'm looking for with your remote?

10x

I didn't even try to power on/off at this time.
I use sleep mode most of the time,..so I pretty much get instant on and off that way.
(2012-08-10, 19:21)bluray Wrote:

Any idea of your power usage during sleep?
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Completed my A6-Pack Build and an unRaid server (with pictures)2