• 27(current)
[AudioEngine] Support for AE on Windows platform
Updated to the 18th october build and it is still causing blips/pops/crackles while playing some audio formats. Mostly with music. Tried playing the same files on winamp and wmp and there is non of this.

Can someone help?
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.
Hi guys, I am still having playback problems whenever I enable WASAPI as audio device. When starting movies while in WASAPI mode, the FPS plummets to around 4, and there is no audio, making it impossible to use WASAPI. I have a DENON 1912 amp, so any form of passthrough should work without too much hassle.

I tried it again using the latest nightly (20121018) and the result is the same as it was months ago.
Back when Daniela's build provided the HD audio formats for the regular folk, it worked fine for my setup, but I've yet to see it work on a regular XBMC (nightly) build.

I have tried to capture the failing audio in a debug log that can be found below:

http://pastebin.com/Pvy2Vvzs

I hope something can be found by a dev Smile

Thanks in advance!
I'm very much a amateur at reading logs, but it seems to me that WASAPI is not initialising in exclusive mode.

Check your Windows settings, see Post #3 of http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1202209 and make sure the 2 exclusive mode options are checked in the Advanced tab.
That's definately enabled on my end, so should not be causing this issue Smile

Another strange thing (I think) is that when I select Directsound as the output all audio formats are working properly, apart from DTS-HD. My receiver also reports that it's outputting DTS for example. I was under the impression this should only be possible with WASAPI as the output method..?
Warstomper, what version of Windows (exactly) are you using? Your log is saying "unknown", but that may be some other issue.

EDIT: from your build number (9200) I suspect you are on Win 8 RTM. I need to check with @DDDamian whether we support Windows 8 yet.
You are correct. I am indeed using Windows 8 RTM. Since I have reported this issue in the past (see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1103071 ), I have a similar debug log from when I was still running Win7 on the same machine. That specific debug log can be found here:

http://pastebin.com/t18N75F2

If there is any other information you'd like me to provide, I am more then willing to work this out with you guys Smile

I've just noticed you're using the Realtek drivers for the HDMI, have you tried the AMD High Definition Audio driver? I ask because I seen people reports problems when using the Realtek driver, as an example see Post#706 @ http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1197004

I've also just come across Posts #591 #596 @ http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1141969
I believe I tried that in the past, and it did not work back then. I gave it another go with the baked in AMD HDMI drivers, and now it seems to work as intended! Smile Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
good to hear the AMD driver fixed it for you!
So, I have a little problem here on Frodo (nightly and latest beta).. Some files encoded with 5.1 AAC play in XBMC with the channels all mixed up. Center plays through the left channel, rear-left plays through the center, right channel seems to be off.. Even in stereo the left channel is used for all dialog and the right channel is dead.. Not all 5.1 AAC encoded videos do this, some play just fine.

My solution so far is to use VLC, XBMC 11.x, or Media Player Classic as they encode it just fine (I use an Auzentech as it can convert any format to AC3 on the fly). Undecided

Edit: The DSPlayer version works fine (like 11.x, I have to set my sound card to DTS Interactive when playing AAC/FLAC), so for now that is what I'll be using.
using frodo beta 1 if i set wasapi for passthrough everything is fine but i have to use directx for normal, if i use wasapi for normal too i dont hear system sounds and music just play silent, this is the debug log can anyone help me? this is driving me crazy...
(2012-10-09, 16:33)MrLobster Wrote: After looking at the Logs (the 5 second delay doesn't help unfortunately). I saw this error

15:15:57 T:1716 ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::AddPackets: Endpoint Buffer timed out
15:15:57 T:1716 ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::AddPackets AudioClient reset failed due to AUDCLNT_E_NOT_STOPPED
15:15:57 T:3912 ERROR: Previous line repeats 7452 times.

and the second line is repeated many times and many repeats.

15:15:57 T:1716 ERROR: CAESinkWASAPI::AddPackets AudioClient reset failed due to AUDCLNT_E_NOT_STOPPED
15:15:57 T:3912 ERROR: Previous line repeats 35099 times.

The error comes about because the skin is trying to play an audio file for the menu (up/down etc), and as soon as I manually chance the Audio Device the error clears up.

One suggestion is to disable WASAPI, by going to Windows audio control panel and unchecking "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"

Thats where I am atm... so i'll check back after the reboot and a cup of tea!

I've had the exact issues both on a mac mini over osx, and zotac id84 over win 7 x64
I think I finally got this issue sorted out by adding <streamsilence>1</streamsilence> in advancedsettings under <audio>, give it a try and see if it works?
I'm pretty sure that streamsilence settings doesn't work under windows 8 and/or intel hdmi drivers... can anyone confirm/look into this? thanks
(2012-11-19, 03:02)cyberrage Wrote: I'm pretty sure that streamsilence settings doesn't work under windows 8 and/or intel hdmi drivers... can anyone confirm/look into this? thanks

You may be correct, the amp does not see a constant stream once media playback has stopped, however it seems to have resolved the playback issue and errors that MrLobster reported for me.
(2012-11-19, 03:17)schnoz Wrote:
(2012-11-19, 03:02)cyberrage Wrote: I'm pretty sure that streamsilence settings doesn't work under windows 8 and/or intel hdmi drivers... can anyone confirm/look into this? thanks

You may be correct, the amp does not see a constant stream once media playback has stopped, however it seems to have resolved the playback issue and errors that MrLobster reported for me.

I think i might have it sort out... check my other thread here
If i'm right it could be useful to implement an option in AE advancedsettings where we can choose at which frequency (44000. 48000, 96000, etc) we want to send the silence stream to the reciever.
  • 27(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AudioEngine] Support for AE on Windows platform4