Wav tags
Why doesn't XBMC support wav tags?
Wav has tags?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wav#Limitations

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
WAV isn't a container like other music formats and thus cannot support any sort of tags, unless something has happened in the past years that I haven't heard of
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

lots of apps bastardize wav files with id3 tags. we won't support such nonsense.
Actually, WAV is a container - a very limited one at that - and it may contain metainfo tags. The link in post #2 tells how.
ciao, Dani

AMD Fusion E-350/Win 8/custom XBMC, Yamaha RX-V1900, Pioneer DV-LX50, custom speakers
DanielaE the only thing I found on that link regarding tags, was that :

"Unlike formats like FLAC, WAV files don't usually have information fields, for instance, in the case of a song, title, artist, album, year, etc"

which linked to

"The only tagging system in wide usage for WAV is the Broadcast Wave Format, stored as a RIFF chunk"

which linked to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_Wave_Format
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

My copy of Wikipedia says on the same page as linked in post #2:

Wikipedia (WAV Metadata) Wrote:As a derivative of RIFF, WAV files can be tagged with metadata in the INFO chunk. In addition, WAV files can embed Extensible Metadata Platform (XMP) data....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wav#Metadata

WAV metadata might possibly be hardly used and a non-starter due to lack of standardization - and therefore not (yet) supported in XBMC. But it's not impossible or an abomination.
ciao, Dani

AMD Fusion E-350/Win 8/custom XBMC, Yamaha RX-V1900, Pioneer DV-LX50, custom speakers
This is getting pedantic - FLAC solves that and more.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
you are correct as usual DanielaE. You are also free to add support for these standards, I don't think any other developers in the team are going to :p

@DDDamian: this is a non-answer to OP's question

@pike: I don't see a point in supporting stuff like that either :p But may be, the OP get's granted three wishes by his local fairy
ciao, Dani

@DanielaE - on the contrary, it's the best answer to the OP's question - if you think outside the box. I'm trusting he has access to Wikipedia as well.

To the OP: as spiff mentions, wav files have never had very standard metadata formats implemented and are limited in what they can accept compared to more recent formats. Newer formats like FLAC have much more standard tag support, including for things like ReplayGain, are exactly the same quality, and conserve significant space over uncompressed formats like wave. About the only disadvantages to FLAC are:

1) very slightly increased battery consumption in portable players due to the decompression requirement
2) they must be decompressed for mixing, editing and other manipulations if you are in a studio or mixing.mastering field

I say pedantic as there is little urgency to adding tag support for wavs, as it seems better to offer a solution and explaination for the solution than not.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I was looking also for some support on WAV tags.
The main problem here is that many people have large collections of WAV files. And contrary to what some team members said, WAV is not only used for PCM (uncompressed) content, it is a container, and in my case I have hundreds of WAV files with DTS music in them (5.1 Channel audio).

So, the question is: Is XBMC going in some way to manage info for those files, so they can be cataloged and stored in the library as the rest of the digital music?
I don't care or push for using the WAV tags, it can be also some kind of table, in excel or CSV to provide XBMC music scrapper with the path, title, album, artist, etc. For me it is easier to provide the table, than to convert all my whole DTS music collection to another format. Moreover, I am not sure DTS can be stored inside FLAC files.

If XBMC wants to truly be a media center, this kind of support cannot be ignored, or put on low priority, because I don't think we are just "a small bunch of people" which have a lot WAV files. And we would like to manage them as we do the mp3 files, from within XBMC, and integrated into the Music library.
@ilomambo
Personally I have been hoping that XBMC will implement support for matroska audio (.mka).

One big benefit of .mka is that you can use it as a container for various multichannel audio formats that doesn't natively support tags, like .dts, .ac3, .mlp, .aob and dts wav, without having to transcode them to some other format.

I have a feature request thread on this topic here, but sadly it seems that I'm the only one with any interest in that particular solution for the problem of untaggable formats. Make yourselves heard in that thread as well, please.
@sialivi

I actually don't know anything about mka. According to you, it might be a good technical solution, but I do not want to reformat my DTS files collection right now. And also I think the XBMC team has to be practical, while mka I am afraid is not hugely popular, WAV it is.
Currently, not using the library mode, the XBMC coreplayer plays fine DTS/WAV files, it is just a matter of adding to XBMC the ability to catalog them.
The mka issue, with merits on its own, is not the solution we need right now, and it is good you have a separate request for it.
Seems a bit short-sighted, since adding tagging support for wav and matroska audio would require the same amount of work for the xbmc devs, but wav tags are non-standard and only solves adding wav and dts wav to the library, while matroska tag support would enable us to add a wide range of currently unsupported formats to the library.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wav tags0