Intel NUC.....watch out Raspberry PI!
-Intel enters mini-computer fray with Core i5-powered NUC

-Intel's Next Unit of Computing Rivals Raspberry Pi in Size

For sure, it'll be an awesome device for XBMC.........Nod
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
It amazes me to no end the amount of liberties the press takes in making headline statements like 'rivals Raspberry Pi in Size' when in fact, it is 2X the size... Idiots.
Something tells me the Intel ones will be a hell of a lot more pricy than the pi.
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.
Yeah I posted about this earlier this month. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130441 Not much more info, but I'm interested in it too!

I'm ok with it being bigger and more expensive than the RaspberryPi. Will probably run XBMC better than the PI will ever..

(2012-05-17, 23:43)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: Will probably run XBMC better than the PI will ever..
For sure, it will be an awesome small/low power XBMC device......I hope that it can bitstream HD audio too......Nod

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I think this would rival more of the apple tv then it would the raspberry. As long as intel can keep it somewhat cheaper the building a htpc, I'm all over it. At $200ish, with the ability to run windows with 16gb (hoping) of memory and XBMC, I would drop the atv in a heart beat.

(2012-05-18, 04:13)bluray Wrote:
(2012-05-17, 23:43)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: Will probably run XBMC better than the PI will ever..
For sure, it will be an awesome small/low power XBMC device......I hope that it can bitstream HD audio too......Nod

Bitstream HD now should be a standard feature.. Lets see what happens.

how much will this cost? if it is under £50 then im in!

I'm hoping raspberrypi xbmc can play 1080p mkv and the iplayer/youtube/vevo addons.
(2012-05-18, 06:56)r1lee Wrote: I think this would rival more of the apple tv then it would the raspberry. As long as intel can keep it somewhat cheaper the building a htpc, I'm all over it. At $200ish, with the ability to run windows with 16gb (hoping) of memory and XBMC, I would drop the atv in a heart beat.

I agree, can't wait to see more info on this device.

Would need to support the newer video formats like h265 for hardware decoding. Of course some groups like to be a pain in the arse and make us all buy new hardware because they have decided to switch to a new format no one can play on their hardware.

They will jump from 10 bit onto 265 in no time, and my asrock 330 has no chance at all in playing those and I can't afford a new system.

So if intel can include support for these formats later on, on a low priced system... Might even be nice if they give us some decent htpc systems with HW that can handle stuff even without graphics acceleration.... don't really want a game setup just for playing movies and have a huge useless tower.. *grumble* *moan* etc.

HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.
you can forget just about any hw decoding of 10-bit h264, nvidia has already come out and said that they will not be adding it. If nvidia will not add it, no one else will even think about it. It's just not a main stream video format no matter what those 'groups' think.
(2012-05-19, 03:23)davilla Wrote: you can forget just about any hw decoding of 10-bit h264, nvidia has already come out and said that they will not be adding it. If nvidia will not add it, no one else will even think about it. It's just not a main stream video format no matter what those 'groups' think.

im sure bbc iplayer uses h264 encoding for their hd streams? that is as mainstream as it gets!
(2012-05-19, 13:24)krish_2k4 Wrote:
(2012-05-19, 03:23)davilla Wrote: you can forget just about any hw decoding of 10-bit h264, nvidia has already come out and said that they will not be adding it. If nvidia will not add it, no one else will even think about it. It's just not a main stream video format no matter what those 'groups' think.

im sure bbc iplayer uses h264 encoding for their hd streams? that is as mainstream as it gets!

Next time, please read and comprehend Smile 10-bit h264... Mainstream does 8-bit h264. 8 != 10

Some of the better CPUs can handle 10bit fine, it's just a shame that systems in the HTPC market are all seriously low end. It's about time companies started taking the HTPC market seriously.

It might be full of pirates: but it doesn't stop sony and apple making millions on mp3 players.
Just noticed this is going to be ivy bridge only
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/12790...mputing-pc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC.....watch out Raspberry PI!0