OpenGL Hardware rendering in Init 5 but not Init 3
Hi guys,

I hope i have posted this in the right section as it seems to be a driver issue.

A while back i made an dedicated XBMC media pc on Fedora 16 for my living room which works great using LIRC and runs 'xinit xbmc-standalone' automatically on boot from init3. All 1080p, optical spdif 5.1 etc all works great.

I have now come to set up another one for a friend. The spec isn't as good but i am not bothered about 1080 or 5.1. The standard resolution (no HD) and stereo is fine. Previously when i did this i worked on getting XBMC setup and working in Gnome3 and then reconfigured the boot default to multi-user-target and setup XBMC to run with autologin via [email protected] script.

All was going fine on this new pc, XBMC ran great in Gnome and all was well until i tried to run it in init3. It uses almost 100% cpu all the time! I tried the dirty regions fix on xbmc's site to reduce refresh of the opengl but no difference. When i run XBMC in Gnome3 init3, the video is using Gallium 0.4 llvmpipe, VMWare, Inc but seems to run the h/w driver in Gnome3.

From my searches on the net this seems to be a software renderer which would explain high cpu but i have un-installed the vmware driver, tried setting up an xorg.conf only listing intel as the driver amongst other things.

lspci

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

I am relatively quite new to the linux world and GFX\X still baffles me.

I can supply any required info on request.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Found the solution (almost).

Fit a proper gfx and stop messing aroung with onboard gfx!

I have fit a passive radeon HD5000 and it worked as soon as I installed catalyst drivers. Its not quite as good as an Nvidia but it solves all my problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenGL Hardware rendering in Init 5 but not Init 30