Apple Developer or Enterprise Developer Licence
I understand, for an end user, that to install an unapproved app on an iOS device, your device needs to be jailbroken (aka "rooted")

I also understand if you have purchased one of the above Apple licences, Apple will issue a key that you can use to install an app that you have developed on to an iOS device.
  • Does XBMC require super user authority to run once installed?
  • Does XBMC require access to api's that are not available to an app on an iOS device that has not been rooted?
If not, can someone
  • Buy an Apple developer licence
  • Check out the XBMC source
  • Build XBMC for iOS
  • Install on your personal iOS device
  • Live happily ever after
we rely on api's which only can be used when jailbroken (for using the hardware video decoder). Beside that we are dyloading libs which seems to be forbidden on non-jailbroken devices (a.k.a. we crash on startup when not jailbroken).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
yes, in theory you can do this. vtb only seems to have issues under atv2 and frontrow's sandbox. libs will dyload, it's just forbidden for apps in the app store.
(2012-05-28, 20:55)davilla Wrote: yes, in theory you can do this. vtb only seems to have issues under atv2 and frontrow's sandbox. libs will dyload, it's just forbidden for apps in the app store.
Have either of you tried this with an ATV3? I'm willing to pull the trigger if I have an idea that it could work on an ATV3.
Will not work on atv3 as frapps are not supported in xcode nor itunes. xbmc is not an app there, it's a frapp, as bundle that's a frontrow plugin.
Rumor has Apple announcing a SDK for the Apple TV next week at their World Wide Developer Conference.

It would be ever so cool to be able to remove the jailbreak requirement to use XBMC on an ATV (2, 3 whatever comes next).

If true, perhaps there will be documentation to use the hardware accelerated graphics support for more than just H.264 video.

One can hope.
if so then i would expect the same api's as for normal ios devices. Then nothing will change for xbmc (beside the frapp isn't hacked anymore, but done the "official way" and maybe support for debugging in xcode). So still the jailbreak is needed for getting access to vtb private api and other stuff...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
FRACK... The rumors were all wrong :-P

No SDK for Apple TV
no, but we DO have mirroring in mountain lion, that will allow some viewing on the ATV3 of XBMC.

I'm going to hold my breath a little longer in hopes that during the rest of the week, the iOS 6 discussions with developers will reveal some other way for us to weasel into the ATV3 and get a jailbreak there.

In the meantime, I am excited to see how Siri on my iPad will allow me to use voice to navigate the XBMC on my ATV2. Any thoughts on this?
Peace,
Fritz Boyle

NVIDIA Shield

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple Developer or Enterprise Developer Licence0