XBMC is nice, but flawed
You don't help your case by barreling in on your first forum post with what you yourself admit is a rant about how XBMC sucks. If, instead, you had stated your "rants" as questions, you would have received a much better reception and gotten the answers/solutions to you questions/issues:
  • Is there a way to disable the Weather option?
  • How can I exit from a menu?
  • How can I close or minimize XBMC?
  • Is there an audio equalizer?
  • I changed my weather location to a US city, but the temperature is still stated as Celsius... how can I change that to Fahrenheit?
A little bit of civility goes a long way... it's amazing how nice people can be to you if you start out being nice to them on first meeting. Imagine visiting a city or country for the first time and ranting at the locals because you feel the street signs and maps are inadequate and you can't find the Statue of Liberty or the Eiffel Tower? You'd probably get a less than warm reception as well. If, instead, you simply ask the locals how to get to these locations, they would very likely have been more than happy to help you find your way.
As 'Grumpy' (at least I think it mentioned...by him ) said..." get rid of the mouse support and 90% of the issues will drop." XBMC is a great front end for your media, you don't even have to use it's built in player.... it's possible to still use VLC and some do.

Weather... I thought it was odd at first took... and it's no longer part of the XBMC build, but it's an app, like so many of the thousands of apps available. Just like RRS feeds you can turn them off.
(2012-05-31, 19:34)pecinko Wrote:
(2012-05-31, 18:52)Rebel Wrote: So it's a weather app that plays audio, video and displays images? Huh

LOL. Sometimes it looks like that, yes Smile There are quite a few people that like having weather info on a big screen.

Differences between player and center are big. VLC looks awful on 50" TV and I guess XBMC looks kinda weird on your monitor with a mouse. You surely know what Apple TV is and what is the difference between it's and VLC interface. Only difference between ATV2 and XBMC is that media management is done in XBMC itself and not through a separate app like iTunes.

As for audio part, it is present in both videos and music and that announcement was primarily about Dolby 14+5 Smile support being added, but you can play your music FLACs just fine as well.

You can store your media wherever you want, just add media locations to XBMC and it will fetch metadata like plots and covers from internet or it will read it from your audio files.

If you are familiar with ATV2 switch from default skin to Quartz as it will give you good starting point. Once you get more familiar with XBMC you can choose any other which suits you best. Some reading of XBMC manual is needed, though. It is cross platform app that does almost everything except for making a dinner.

Thanks for providing some helpful information...finally.

Evidently this isn't what I was looking for. I want something for media on my computer, not a tv. Where I'm living now I only have small tv and there's no HDMI to connect my MBP to.
I really don't know what Apple TV is - sure, I've heard of it, but have no interest because I don't think it's something I need. I was unaware this was meant to be used on a tv, not a computer.
Perhaps the description on MU should be improved, to make its purpose clear, because at this time it's rather ambiguous: seems to be just another media player.

Maybe when I get into a place with a large tv and connect my computer, I can revisit this app.
(2012-05-31, 19:18)Rebel Wrote: Well your post was rude, and if you don't like "these people", maybe you shouldn't be here.

Oh come on little girl, if you don't know how to use the Internet or your computer, then YOU shouldn't be here.
(2012-05-31, 20:18)Rebel Wrote: Maybe when I get into a place with a large tv and connect my computer, I can revisit this app.
Yes, you hit the nail on the head here. Although XBMC can be used on a computer monitor, it is designed to be best enjoyed while hooked up to a TV. Thus, it works better with a remote instead of a mouse... and there's an absence of features usually associated with desktop applications (such as tooltips, buttons to close/minimize window) because they're not well-suited for a "lean-back" experience from across the room (similar to the difference between the look-and-feel of Hulu on a web browser vs. Hulu Desktop).

Anyway, when you do get that large screen TV, please give XBMC another try and stop by to ask questions if there's anything that's not clear to you.
May I suggest the following perhaps?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kids-musi...59909?mt=8

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, couldn't resist - if you do, however, want to check out a very good music-only app I'd suggest Clementine. It's an Amarok 1.4 fork and works very well as a lightweight music player for Windows, OS X and Linux. http://www.clementine-player.org/

As far playing back your videos stick with VLC and also checkout mplayer if XBMC doesn't float your boat.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
(2012-05-31, 20:18)Rebel Wrote: Evidently this isn't what I was looking for. I want something for media on my computer, not a tv. Where I'm living now I only have small tv and there's no HDMI to connect my MBP to.
I really don't know what Apple TV is - sure, I've heard of it, but have no interest because I don't think it's something I need. I was unaware this was meant to be used on a tv, not a computer.
Perhaps the description on MU should be improved, to make its purpose clear, because at this time it's rather ambiguous: seems to be just another media player.

Maybe when I get into a place with a large tv and connect my computer, I can revisit this app.

Well you've just learned what a HTPC is then, as we've been saying Wink
(2012-05-31, 19:07)Martijn Wrote: RTFM

QFT
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
(2012-05-31, 20:14)artrafael Wrote: You don't help your case by barreling in on your first forum post with what you yourself admit is a rant about how XBMC sucks. If, instead, you had stated your "rants" as questions, you would have received a much better reception and gotten the answers/solutions to you questions/issues:
  • Is there a way to disable the Weather option?
  • How can I exit from a menu?
  • How can I close or minimize XBMC?
  • Is there an audio equalizer?
  • I changed my weather location to a US city, but the temperature is still stated as Celsius... how can I change that to Fahrenheit?
A little bit of civility goes a long way... it's amazing how nice people can be to you if you start out being nice to them on first meeting. Imagine visiting a city or country for the first time and ranting at the locals because you feel the street signs and maps are inadequate and you can't find the Statue of Liberty or the Eiffel Tower? You'd probably get a less than warm reception as well. If, instead, you simply ask the locals how to get to these locations, they would very likely have been more than happy to help you find your way.

By making it clear that it was a rant, I thought it would be accepted as humor, but apparently no one here (besides pecinko) knows what that is, so here's a link for you to look it up: Definition of humor
When I think of the word rant, I think of Dennis Miller, and that means humor.

And again I say: when I'd already gone through the required steps to change my city and state, and the app CLEARLY knows where I am because it says so right there in the window, why would I think there's an additional step needed to let the app know I'm in the United States? You'd think it could figure that out.

Since everyone here is so sensitive, I'll take my butt back to VLC and its friendly community. Guess that's what I get for crossing the tracks to such a highbrow society.
Ya'll enjoy your Cristal, I'ma go drink a 40. Devil
(2012-05-31, 20:21)Pyromaniac Wrote:
(2012-05-31, 19:18)Rebel Wrote: Well your post was rude, and if you don't like "these people", maybe you shouldn't be here.

Oh come on little girl, if you don't know how to use the Internet or your computer, then YOU shouldn't be here.
Please, let's stop with the name calling... it's not constructive. I think we're at the point where we've reached an understanding and we can just let this thread peter out if we don't fan the flames.
(2012-05-31, 20:47)artrafael Wrote: if you don't know how to use the Internet or your computer, then YOU shouldn't be here.

A well-written app shouldn't require its users to go look up every little function on the Internet! I guess that since this app is meant for tv use, tooltips might not help much. But that raises another question: Since the app is used on a tv but the wiki is on the computer, how inconvenient is that for people whose tv and computer aren't in the same room?! That's even more reason to include a help menu in the app, so it can be accessed with the remote.

I've never read the Photoshop manual, but use it daily. It makes use of tooltips to help out. If I have a question, I can usually find an answer in the help file. I would have resorted to XBMC's help function, but there isn't one.

Since there's so many of "these people" here, obviously there's there's a problem with the app or the way it's being marketed. I would guess that a lot of them, like me, found this app on MacUpdate and thought it was a media player. That's not the fault of "those people", because XBMC's description is nebulous, it doesn't say it's strictly intended for use on a tv, not a computer. If a proper description isn't provided, don't be surprised when miscreants like me wander across the tracks. And there's NOTHING in that description referring to a wiki, so, as I said before, HOW WOULD I KNOW THERE'S A WIKI?! Perhaps if I had been on the app's website I would have seen mention of one, but not on MU.

BTW, today is the first time I've heard of HTPC, so get off your high-horse.
(2012-05-31, 20:46)Rebel Wrote: By making it clear that it was a rant, I thought it would be accepted as humor, but apparently no one here (besides pecinko) knows what that is, so here's a link for you to look it up: Definition of humor
When I think of the word rant, I think of Dennis Miller, and that means humor.

enough humor here not just that kind that some one comes here tearing down the app everyone loves around here.

Quote:And again I say: when I'd already gone through the required steps to change my city and state, and the app CLEARLY knows where I am because it says so right there in the window, why would I think there's an additional step needed to let the app know I'm in the United States? You'd think it could figure that out.

So perhaps it should, perhaps it shouldn't.

So what happens if you add three different city around the world?
So if i add NewYork should it then auto configure to US even though i want it to use location Europe?
and some prefer Celsius and some Fahrenheit.

Quote:Since everyone here is so sensitive, I'll take my butt back to VLC and its friendly community. Guess that's what I get for crossing the tracks to such a highbrow society.
Ya'll enjoy your Cristal, I'ma go drink a 40. Devil

Every one is friendly over here but not if you just registered here to rant about something you clearly misunderstood yourself because it wasn't the application you were expecting. You could have been a little more friendly from the start yourself and put the blame to yourself

bye bye
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Hmmm... XBMC costs 0$ because it relies on community efforts. Comparing it to Photoshop that cost 800$ or something like that is not possible.

I started using it on my monitor, had windows then and was happy that I can use keyboard and finally say goodbye to my mouse. My friend never understood that as he can not see what the benefits are supposed to be in comparing to MPC player.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2012-05-31, 21:30)Rebel Wrote:
(2012-05-31, 20:47)artrafael Wrote: if you don't know how to use the Internet or your computer, then YOU shouldn't be here.

A well-written app shouldn't require its users to go look up every little function on the Internet! I guess that since this app is meant for tv use, tooltips might not help much. But that raises another question: Since the app is used on a tv but the wiki is on the computer, how inconvenient is that for people whose tv and computer aren't in the same room?! That's even more reason to include a help menu in the app, so it can be accessed with the remote.

I've never read the Photoshop manual, but use it daily. It makes use of tooltips to help out. If I have a question, I can usually find an answer in the help file. I would have resorted to XBMC's help function, but there isn't one.

Since there's so many of "these people" here, obviously there's there's a problem with the app or the way it's being marketed. I would guess that a lot of them, like me, found this app on MacUpdate and thought it was a media player. That's not the fault of "those people", because XBMC's description is nebulous, it doesn't say it's strictly intended for use on a tv, not a computer. If a proper description isn't provided, don't be surprised when miscreants like me wander across the tracks. And there's NOTHING in that description referring to a wiki, so, as I said before, HOW WOULD I KNOW THERE'S A WIKI?! Perhaps if I had been on the app's website I would have seen mention of one, but not on MU.

BTW, today is the first time I've heard of HTPC, so get off your high-horse.

Please don't attribute a comment to me that I did not make. I was simply trying to calm things down and, believe or not, came to your aid when someone insulted you personally. It seems apparent now that that was foolish on my part.

By the way, a link to the Wiki is on the XBMC homepage. It's listed under the same "Support" tab as these Forums, which you've obviously found.

As for humor, it is common knowledge that Dennis Miller is a comic and anyone watching or listening to his act understands that what he says is meant to be humorous. Perhaps if you had been posting here for some time and built up a reputation as someone who usually makes sarcastic or cynical remarks in a light-hearted way, then others may realize you were just trying to be funny rather than being malicious. But, you came out firing both barrels on your very first post, how is one to know you were merely being "humorous"? I don't know what life experience you've had (and that's the disadvantage of personal interactions on the Internet), but you can't go through life brow-beating people and expect them to be civil to you, or hide behind the excuse that "it was just a joke, don't take it so seriously, you have no sense of humor" when others call out your rudeness.

Time to lock this thread, I'm afraid.

Peace.
I agree that the weather needs to be simplified. I hate going in and finding the settings to change it to fahrenheit every time i set up xbmc. Its great the rest of the world uses 0 for freezing but if you live in america, celcius is chinease. We also dont understand 13:00 - 24:00( for time). just to much of a culture shock. It would be nice if weather and time could auto configure based on ip adress or something. Even if it asked the first time xbmc was launched i would be happier.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC is nice, but flawed1