OS X HD audio rolled in, but not on Mac - when is it coming?
Keen to use my Mac mini to bitstream TrueHD and DTS-MA to my amp! When is this feature coming to the Mac version of XBMC? Even though it has been rolled into the the latest nighties for other OSes, OS X is marked as "pending".

Any ideas on what the problem is?
TrueHD and DTS-MA passthrough is not working on OSX. So a landing in XBMC is more than unlikley.
That's sad to hear. I can understand it is a problem for some models of Mac - i.e. those without hardware support - but a great many do have hardware support for bit streaming HD codecs, so is it a limitation in the OS itself, or just in the drivers in OS X?
OS limitation i guess ... see http://lists.apple.com/archives/coreaudi...00014.html
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I'm a bit puzzled by that link (and maybe I am missing something!) but if I go into Audio MIDI setup I can take SoundFlower (16 channel) as a source, set the input and output to 192kHz, and then assign eight of them into an octagonal speaker array. That seems to go against what the post says.
You are talking about LPCM which is not bitstreaming. We support LPCM up to 7.1 on XBMC too.

Could you just believe us now or if not provide patches which proove us wrong? ^^
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Yes, the LPCM comment you make is true, but is the sarcasm really necessary?

You ask that I believe you, but what I am meant to believe? The xbmc news about the HD audio lists OS X support as "pending", implying it is possible, but two posts on here say it is essentially impossible, citing one post from someone talking about 10.6.3 (we are now on 10.7.3) and using terms like "i guess".

So on the basis I want to bitstream should I hang on or sell the Mac Mini and get a Linux box with suitable hardware (yes, I could install XBMCbuntu on the Mac Mini but it fails during install - tried three times)?
That news post was just missing some coordination behind the scenes (consultation between the platform devs). I know its missleading and i also have my problems with that now. (will try to ping someone who is allowed to edit that blog and clearing up the things).

If you want my personal opinion. If you want to bitstream HD Audio on OSX then XBMC is not the way you should go.
This maybe worth a read.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1383566/so-is-...-bitstream
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

yep ... not a hardware limit, but a driver limit in osx...
Does Mavericks address this?
You guys should dual boot Ubuntu (if you're feeling adventurous). HD bitstreaming works out of the box.
Nvidia Shield
Apple TV 4
Will Yosemite address this?
(2013-10-27, 15:15)ntropy Wrote: Does Mavericks address this?

(2014-08-08, 17:45)ntropy Wrote: Will Yosemite address this?

Ha ha! Man, that is patience and persistence!
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
and the answer is no to both ...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD audio rolled in, but not on Mac - when is it coming?0