[SOLVED] Nvidia GT430 HDMI audio output issue?
Hello,
Just put together a newer HP PC running Windows 7, intel core duo 3.00Ghz, 2GB RAM, and a Nvidia Gt 430 card. I also installed all Nvidias latest drivers as well. At first after installing the Nvidia, I was getting the windows error on the bottom right of the screen with the speaker icon exed out in red. I figured out I needed to enable the internal audio in the BIOS, which fixed it. Now the probelm is, windows does not show HDMI audio as an option in control panel and xbmc in the audio output, does not indicate the Nvidia card as an output source?

what am I missing?
The goal is to run the HDMI out from the HP to my receiver which accepts all HD codecs and the older DD & DTS.

Thanks!
Nvidia drivers should have an audio subset for driving the audio out through HDMI. If you have those installed then you will need to set it up in the Windows sound control panel. In the Sound Control panel you should see all the available output options in the playback tab. there is where you configure your hardware. Once it is setup properly in there you should see it as in option inside of XBMC.

BTW, I moved this thread as it is not directly related to XBMC.
(2012-06-05, 18:33)kricker Wrote: Nvidia drivers should have an audio subset for driving the audio out through HDMI. If you have those installed then you will need to set it up in the Windows sound control panel. In the Sound Control panel you should see all the available output options in the playback tab. there is where you configure your hardware. Once it is setup properly in there you should see it as in option inside of XBMC.

BTW, I moved this thread as it is not directly related to XBMC.
Thanks for the feedback (and moving this to the appropriate area). I believe I went into the control panel and when it pulled up the available sound output options, the Nvidia ones were non-exsistant? All I saw was the windows HD drivers as an option? How can I get the Nvidia drivers to show up in here then of course xbmc?

I really appreciate the help,

I'm headed out to a meeting. I'll try to respond better when I get back in later today. Maybe in the meantime someone else will jump in and help out.

First thing I'd check is to see if the Nvidia drivers for the audio over HDMI are installed. You should see them in the add/remove programs control panel.
(2012-06-05, 19:21)kricker Wrote: I'm headed out to a meeting. I'll try to respond better when I get back in later today. Maybe in the meantime someone else will jump in and help out.

First thing I'd check is to see if the Nvidia drivers for the audio over HDMI are installed. You should see them in the add/remove programs control panel.

Thanks for your time! I did see about 5-6 items that were installed for Nvidia(in the add/remove area) and one of them I believe was HD codecs or similar. They just wont show up in xbmc or under the sound control options in windows.

I will investigate more tonight as well. Looking forward to your response. Edit - would screenshots help?

Brandon

Screenshots to give you an idea of my issues.
I see the Nvdia audio drivers installed. Did you have something plugged into the HDMI port when you opened the windows sound control panel?
(2012-06-06, 06:38)kricker Wrote: I see the Nvdia audio drivers installed. Did you have something plugged into the HDMI port when you opened the windows sound control panel?

Good morning. Now I feel like an idiot. I do not currently have the HDMI cable connected(waiting on a long one to arrive anyday since my PC and receiver are far apart). Well hopefully that solves that issue.

One more thing if you dont mind. Last night I was trying to play some of my blu ray rips of mkv and iso files just on the pc itself in xbmc and the video stutters heavily and I had the same issue on my previous pc which had the same nvidia GT430 card? Am I missing a bunch of codecs or drivers? The current HP PC was wiped out and i only installed Win7 and the other software you see above. I ran across this thread and it makes me wonder if I need some of those drivers/codecs for this all to work smoothly. I also have the latest nighlty build of xbmc for the HD codec playback.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...hdmi+audio
Post #3

Thanks Kricker!
XBMC does NOT need any codecs. Everything is built in. the only time you need codecs is when using the DS branch or using external players. The GT430 should be plenty strong enough to handle anything you throw at it. Make sure XBMC is in true fullscreen mode (under settings\system\video output) and set playback to allow DXVA2 (under settings\video\playback). Depening on your display you may want to experiment with the different settings for refresh rate and sync.
(2012-06-06, 17:39)kricker Wrote: XBMC does NOT need any codecs. Everything is built in. the only time you need codecs is when using the DS branch or using external players. The GT430 should be plenty strong enough to handle anything you throw at it. Make sure XBMC is in true fullscreen mode (under settings\system\video output) and set playback to allow DXVA2 (under settings\video\playback). Depening on your display you may want to experiment with the different settings for refresh rate and sync.

Good to know. I will verify xbmc setting this evening when I return home. I believe I had already enabled DXVA & DXVA2 under settings(a friend who uses xbmc told me to enable these as well). Why though is the playback on the monitor so choppy now? XBMC just slows to a hault when videos are playing now, the mouse moves slow even.

Update:
I verified all settings and threw both a mkv and iso blu ray rip onto the HTPC's HD (Rather than using my external) and still same stuttering video playback on the monitor? I am really stumped here......
Sounds like an issue with the PC not just XBMC. Are the files local or on a network share?
(2012-06-06, 18:25)kricker Wrote: Sounds like an issue with the PC not just XBMC. Are the files local or on a network share?

They are on an external 2TB hard drive.

Update:
So I hooked up the HTPC right up to my receiver via HDMI and all was working well! Must be my old PC monitor that wasn't 1080p capable which was causing the playback issues. The only problem now is getting both my PC monitor to display whats on the PC and my TV simultaneously. Currently I can only get the HDMI out to my receiver/tv to display while the PC monitor is blank. What are the settings in windows and the nvidia corol panel need to be?
Sorry you lost me.
(2012-06-07, 02:37)kricker Wrote: Sorry you lost me.

Sorry. Right now I have my HTPC connected via HDMI to my stereo system through my receiver and the standard blue VGA connection from the HTPC to a older computer monitor. I cannot get both to work simultaneously. I have two options, use the VGA connection from the GT430 to the monitor or the VGA out of the one that came on the PC?

Hope this makes sense.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[SOLVED] Nvidia GT430 HDMI audio output issue?0