Finally upgrading from OG Xbox...Would Love Some Advice
So I've finally decided to build a HTPC, mostly because I just want too. My xbox is working fine for standard definition stuff but I would like to start using HD. I am trying to keep this build semi-budget since it is not something I really need right now. But I am open to suggestions if some of my choices are less than stellar. Since I'm not in a rush to buy it (although I would like to) I can always wait an extra month to spend more money if it is necessary.

Here are my current choices:

APU: A8-3870...I would like to emulate Dreamcast, and preferably Gamecube/Wii games as my wife would be thrilled if I could box up some consoles and move them to the garage. I saw an individual on another forum that was emulating Wii with an a6 so I am hoping the a8 should do it the same/better.

Motherboard: ASRock A55M-HVS It is inexpensive and they claim better performance than other boards. Probably a hoax (the better performance), but I've had friends that have had good luck with ASRock boards in the past.

Ram: Crucial Ballistix 1600 Is it worth upgrading to 1866 ram and/or 8 gb? I know that the graphics portion of the apu uses the ram, I'm just not sure how much of a performance increase the 1866 will provide. I know emulation is CPU intensive, but I would also like to be able to play borderlands 2 when it comes out, but I can always add a dedicated graphics card if necessary.

Case: Apex MJ-16 I have no idea if this case is any good, but it's the only one I've found that fits my size specifications for my entertainment center. I can always upgrade the PSU if it sucks, but the case needs to fit in a section that is 13.25" high and approximately 15"deep. If it was a case that sat flat (like a Bluray player) it would need to be about 13 inches wide and 13 inches deep, and only about 6 inches high so I am a little stuck in that regard.

Those are the main parts I would like input on. I have an extra 2.5" sata hd I can put in it to keep my initial cost down, and add a ssd or bigger sata drive later (or maybe both). I am also unsure if I want to add a wifi card/usb or run cat5 through my basement to my TV so I'm not concerned with that at the moment. I don't really care that much about keeping it quiet, since my tv is usually pretty loud anyways, but I would like to keep the running temp relatively cool.

I would appreciate any input and help Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Finally upgrading from OG Xbox...Would Love Some Advice0