gaming htpcs
can someone post some builds of gaming htpcs and their philosophy behind building it (balance between noise, performance, power etc.)

with all the bits and pieces, a decent HTPC might run 300-400. add on 3D capabilities and you're running into gaming territory right? i'd be interested in it since i was going to buy a PS3+HTPC, could fundamentally kill two birds with one stone!
Major Props Poofy and Eskro! Check out their sigs for the best help/advice.
Even just an AMD A8-3850 APU based system could make you a decent mid-lowish range gaming machine without much cost or effort actually.

I'm gonna be setting up my A6-3500 APU system to hopefully run arcade ROMs and stuff using Advanced Launcher. If I'm lucky, it'll even run Sega NAOMI ROMs.
I can't speak beyond basic emulation -- Atari, NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, Game Gear, DOS -- but the A8-3850 handles everything I've thrown at it without a hiccup.

I also use HyperSpin + Executor to play my games via XBMC, as I prefer the HyperSpin visuals over Advanced Launcher...
It depends a lot on which games and what settings you plan to play at.
I was thinking more so Crysis etc. So that kind of gaming PC! I have a bunch of games on steam I really want to play but now that I'm MAC, have no access to them! was hoping I could get a PC gaming rig setup to play them and stuff.
My philosophy is I am not a fan of a gaming HTPC because there is no way to make it quiet.

What really separates a gaming machine and a regular machine nowadays is the GPU. You throw a $130+ GPU in a HTPC and it is a gaming machine.

The problem is that there is no decent gaming card that is passively cooled. The best you can hope for is a bigger fan. Just having 3D isn't enough, many cards do 3D (like a GT520, a 6450, or even a GT430) that aren't good at games. For example here is a good deal on a gaming GPU:

http://www.amazon.com/ENGTX560-DCII-OC-2...slickdeals

Everything else can be pretty standard (so like Pentium dual core), just make sure you get a big enough PSU to handle that GPU.

Wait, here is an even better deal:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/..._MzL2m7UOw

If you get a GPU weaker than that you can't call it a gaming HTPC.

well my plan was:

Shuttle SZ68R5
Intel Core I5-2500 3.3Ghz 6Mb Cache Socket LGA1155 Processor
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB Memory Kit KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX RAM Module (2x 4Gb)

and a Sapphire Radeon HD4870 1GB which I have from my old PC.

Then if the gaming HTPC looks like a mild success/its working out, upgrade the card to a: Radeon 7850

If I'm going wrong somewhere or there is a fatal flaw, please tell me. I'm unsure if the case supports 3D/1.4a HDMI. Not sure if my old card handles 3D either... but it will be upgraded when the time is right lol.
Would a 'Gaming HTPC' really be all that much louder than earlier model Xbox 360's that lots of people happily kept in their living rooms?
No, my old 360 is loud. But most people turn the 360 off when they are done gaming. With a gaming HTPC you can't turn off the snow blower when you just want to watch a movie.

(2012-06-10, 23:06)poofyhairguy Wrote: No, my old 360 is loud. But most people turn the 360 off when they are done gaming. With a gaming HTPC you can't turn off the snow blower when you just want to watch a movie.

Any comments on the build poofy?

I don't really envisage this being all that loud if I'm to be honest. I've gone away from sandbridge cos heat issues in small form factor could spell trouble. also don't feel i need the extra threads. what do you think?

I agree, sound could be a bit annoying, i'll have to see. what do u think it will be like sound wise?
What kind of games are you looking to run? I have a HD 6670 in my HTPC and ti runs Portal 2, Black Ops, adn the PS2 emulator pretty well. Surprisingly well, actually.
Overall the build looks good. The i5 will do the job, just get a decent SSD and make sure any GPU you have fits lengthwise. In the long run the noise level will be determined by the size of the GPU fans. One big one is best.

(2012-06-11, 05:21)argh! Wrote: What kind of games are you looking to run? I have a HD 6670 in my HTPC and ti runs Portal 2, Black Ops, adn the PS2 emulator pretty well. Surprisingly well, actually.

I'm looking to run BF3 if required/when I want, Skyrim ultra settings etc.

Still unsure though, maybe it is better just to make a nice HTPC which is silent but if I want 3D capabilities, don't I have to go this high anyway?

Thanks poofy, any other advice? Do you think it'd make more sense to split the system into two devices then?
SSD is an absolute must! Need that appliance feel and I've had enough of slightly laggy artwork.
Gaming HTPC = does neither one well

Build two systems, especially if your going to play BF3 at descent frame rates

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
gaming htpcs0