Help installing XBMC on Ubuntu
I'm following the wiki instructions here, but I'm stuck at Adding the XBMC Repo, where it says "From the Desktop, click System -> Administration -> Software Sources".

I'm using the latest version of Ubuntu and I can't find 'System' on the Desktop. Google tells me it isn't there in the latest Ubuntu versions so what do I do? The last time I used a command line was MS-Dos so apologies if I'm missing something. I'm aware of XBMCbuntu, but I want a full version of Unbuntu on my machine.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I don't have a copy of the latest Ubuntu around, but I thought XBMC was in the standard repositories now... have you tried looking at the Software Centre (or whatever it's called)? I'm not sure Precise has the old Software Sources enabled by default...
I looked in the Software Centre and XBMC is installed on the computer. I opened a terminal window, typed XBMC and it's started.

Is there a way to add an icon onto the desktop or do I have to open a terminal window every time I want to run it?

(sorry.... total Linux newbie....)

edit: OK, I realise the last question isn't specifically an XBMC question - I'll google it.

Thanks for the help with the Software Centre.
(2012-06-18, 22:46)selectortone Wrote: Is there a way to add an icon onto the desktop or do I have to open a terminal window every time I want to run it?
By "latest", I'm assuming you are running Ubuntu 12.04? And since you are new to Linux, I'm also assuming you are running with the default Unity desktop (aka "Ubuntu Desktop") rather than some version of Gnome?

If so, do the following:
  1. Click the "Dash Home" icon (Ubuntu logo) in the Launcher (near top-left of screen)
  2. In the search field of the dash window, type XBMC but don't press Enter
  3. The XBMC icon should be displayed in the "Applications" section of the dash window
  4. Drag-and-drop the XBMC icon to an empty space your desktop
  5. Reposition the icon on your desktop as desired

Thank you!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help installing XBMC on Ubuntu0