XBMC Boot Start
Ok so i just started using XBMC a couple days ago when i built my first HTPC
I have it running on windows 7, nothing much else is on the machine except for Firefox
i have it set to boot when windows starts using Event Ghost, tho i didn't change my shell as i like windows running in the background for the rare time i want to use Firefox
i also just feel allot more comfortable knowing windows is fully running in the background
However every time practically without fail the computer will boot and then i see XBMC come up for a second, then it goes back to my desktop.
Is there a way to fix this so that XBMC will boot and remain on top until i exit the program but still have a fully functioning windows in the background?
it is losing focus... meaning, some other app is taking desktop focus. there are many ways to address this... you can even use EG to maximize it. Or auto hot key, or, or, or

do some searches, reading, and choose your poison.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
(2012-06-24, 04:29)RaveApex Wrote: Ok so i just started using XBMC ..... i have it set to boot when windows starts using Event Ghost, tho i didn't change my shell as i like windows running in the background.....Is there a way to fix this so that XBMC will boot and remain on top until i exit the program but still have a fully functioning windows in the background?

Rave,

I think you are making that more complicated than you need. If I may offer this suggestion...

For win7, just drag and create a shortcut of XBMC.exe into startup.

Then win7 boots, XBMC starts fullscreen, and all is good with the world.

I have that in my startup, as well as Dropbox (which is automatically loaded there by Dropbox setup) and I also have a Wake-On-Lan bat file, to wake my NAS server.

No need for Event Ghost at all.

v.

wow i had no idea i googled how to make xbmc boot on start up and the only thing i found was this page: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...a_shell%29
so yeah, ill have to try that, thanx
Install autohotkey. Open your startup folder. Right click and select new autohotkey script. Save the file with the following code:

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
#Warn ; Recommended for catching common errors.
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.
#SingleInstance ignore ; use only one instance of the app

#!Enter:: ; Add a hotkey to start xbmc using Ctrl+Alt+Enter. Useful for the mce green button.
Process, Exist, xbmc.exe ; check to see if xbmc.exe is running
If (ErrorLevel = 0) ; if xbmc is not running
{
run "c:\program files\xbmc\xbmc.exe" ; start xbmc
}
else
{
traytip, Message, xbmc is already running, 5, 1 ; if xbmc is already running then show a balloon message. For debugging only. You can comment out or delete this line.
}

loop ; continously checks whether xbmc is on focus
{
Process, Exist, xbmc.exe ; check to see if xbmc.exe is running
WinActivate, ahk_class XBMC
;sleep 1000 ; time delay between check. If commented out, the script will continuously keep xbmc on top.
}
return
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Sup...ls/Windows

Number of tools here that can help.

Easiest is FocusBitch - super simple, it launches and then can for a period of time force focus on an app (ie XBMC) - or indeed make it indefinite (although then of course it's hard to get out of XBMC).

Also, if you use the Customregis remote thingy, and install the auto hot key script, you have the green button then programmed to switch back to/restart xbmc should you ever drop out.

I use focusbitch set to one minute, and maybe once in a very very blue moon it pops out, I then hit the green button and I am straight back in XBMC. The reason I set focusbitch to just one minute is I sometimes WANT to quite xbmc so I prefer not to have it running indefinitely. But I honestly can't remember the last time it popped out of focus unexpectedly since using FocusBitch.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Boot Start0