Custom XBMC server case. Building starts tomorrow!
Wink 
I am currently in the middle of building a custom case to house my XBMC HTPC which I will be transforming into a media server when my Pineriver mini-x arrives. I will post images of the model, the build process, and the final project. Furthermore, if there is demand, I will make complete technical drawings of all parts so that others can duplicate/mod the case.

First, the hardware:
mini-itx mobo (Zotac IonITX-B)
3x 3.5" HDD (total space 4.5 TB)
mATX PSU
1 gb ram

Now the case build.
The case is made from 0.25" thick acrylic that I will be cutting on a CNC router. Mounting the hardware will require longer screws than standard, however, these are easy to get at the local hardware store (I will be using 6-32 X 1/2" screws). I am using transparent grey acrylic as it was the cheapest thing I could find at a local distributor (29"x31" for $20 vs. 24"x24" for $30 online). I am going to be using acrylic cement to "weld" the pieces together so that everything but the top will essentially become a single piece of material.

Next, images of the model. I will just post the isometric view of the case with hardware, and here is a link to the imgur gallery with views of each side, and the top.

I previously discussed building a case (thread here), and the topics of 2.5" boot drives, and blu-ray drives were discussed. While I have no need for these they could be included in the case by mounting the blu-ray drive to the top, and placing the 2.5" drive in the empty space in front of the motherboard.

I will start cutting the parts tomorrow, and it should be done on Thursday (one benefit of being a college student taking summer courses). I would love to get feedback/input on modifying the design if anyone else wants to make their own case. And if anyone is wondering, the total cost for supplies is around $45. I don't have any machining costs as I am using the student machine shop.

Thanks for your time.

Edit: the final box (only have to put some feet on it, but they are being shipped still)! I am still thinking of how I want to decorate, but I might just leave it blank for simplicity sake.

That should turn out looking really nice. I've always admired people who can design and build things from scratch and have them look professional/artistic. I can assemble parts pretty well, but most of my efforts at construction turn out amateurish. Even if I were able to cut the acrylic pieces, I would probably make a mess with the cement in trying to put it together. Tongue
I am most worried about cementing them together, however, I put groves in some pieces so that lining them up will be a little easier. I am lucky enough that the student shop is adjacent to a professional quality instrumentation shop, and the guys in there are willing to help out sometimes.
Hi,

Check out these guys on ebay as they make acrylic cases. May help if you can identify the pieces they use to join the side panels together?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C0AA-S1-2-Acry...d=ViewItem

Cheers
Confusion is just a state of mind.
I know you are going for the build your own thing but these are nice and a decent price and hold 6 hdd with a mini itx board and a decent enough price
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=prod...=2&prod=42
So I am 89.9% finished. Everything is assembled, and I just need disassemble the old media center and install the hardware. Right now I just got my a10 media center this evening, so I am setting that up right now. I will post some pics of the build later tonight.

@Jezz_X That is a cool case, I kinda wish I'd seen it earlier. However, one of my goals is that I could stick my case in a closet as a media server, or under the tv as a set-top box, so my goal was to keep it as small as possible. Plus that case is about 3x more expensive, but I guess for someone who doesn't have easy access to a machine shop it would come out to around the same price to pay for labor.
So it is totally done!!! I have uploaded select pics of the build process, and the assembly. Enjoy! (ignore the futurama)

(2012-06-27, 14:38)FlashPan Wrote: Hi,

Check out these guys on ebay as they make acrylic cases. May help if you can identify the pieces they use to join the side panels together?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C0AA-S1-2-Acry...d=ViewItem

Cheers

I have actually order some small corner reinforcements, but I doubt I will need them. Thanks to the grooves I cut into the front, back, and base; the box is incredibly rigid. If I decide to stack my amp and other things on top I will install the reinforcements, but I don't need them as of yet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Custom XBMC server case. Building starts tomorrow!0