Will a picoPSU work for this A6-3500 HTPC Build?
Hey guys, I was wondering if it would be possible to use a picoPSU in this build or if not if anyone can suggest a good power supply to use? This is primarily going to be used as a dedicated HTPC and it will also have Sickbeard and CouchPotato installed for downloading shows and movies.

Here's the specs:

[CPU]
AMD A6-3500 Llano 2.1GHz ($69.99)

[Motherboard]
ASUS F1A75-M PRO FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD ($106.47)

[Memory]
Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 ($44.40)

[Case]
SILVERSTONE MILO Series ML03B ($59.99)

[CPU Cooler]
Scythe BIG SHURIKEN 2 Rev B. 5-Heatpipe Universal Low Profile CPU Cooler ($45.95)

[SSD]
OCZ 90GB Agility 3 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5-Inch ($54.99)

[HDD]
2) Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB SATA III 64 MB Cache Bare/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD30EZRX ($339.98)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Yes... it will.... . I believe the 90w and 90w brick will work just fine. Check out my builds...
The issue you'll have with a picoPSU in that case is the length of the power plug. You'll want to get an extension. They are available at mini-box.com. You'll also want to think about how you mount the picoPSU's power jack. There are plates available that blank out the ATX power supply bay and provide a "panel" to mount the jack.

With 2 x 3TB I would consider moving up to the picoPSU-120-WI-25 with a 18.5V or 19V 120W adapter.
JAJA..... I did not know they where extensions for that..... I did my own real quick with the same AWG wire.... good thing I had some laying around....

I like your DIY solution.
(2012-06-29, 04:09)Beer40oz Wrote: JAJA..... I did not know they where extensions for that..... I did my own real quick with the same AWG wire.... good thing I had some laying around....

Most DIY'ers have wire connectors and wires in their tool box, and I have plenty of it......I would do the same thing as you.....it looks good!

It is very simple solution, and it work!

Oh, I built all my speaker cables too......it work as good as Monster....Big Grin

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Nice bluray..!!!!

it's awesome to be a DIY'er....
Is that the Onkyo you recommend ?
(2012-06-29, 05:08)Beer40oz Wrote: Nice bluray..!!!!

it's awesome to be a DIY'er....
Is that the Onkyo you recommend ?
I have the RC270, but I recommended the RC360 and they have a better deal on it at Amazon.....

Thanks for the help guys. I was thinking the 120w would be a good option but I wasn't sure if it would be enough for that build. Has anyone used the ASUS F1A75-M PRO motherboard before? Do you think it's a good option or should I get the ASRock one that everyone seems to be using?
I think I would be more cautious with the Pico psu on your build, pico's are an expensive option and in my opinion not suitable in this case. Why not look for an ATX psu like the Antec Earthwatts 350 or the Silverstone strider 400, both have near silent fans, will provide plenty of power, will fill the hole where a psu should be in the case and are cheaper than a Pico.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
If you don't want to go picoPSU, this is the next best thing for that case:

FSP 80 PLUS Certified 300-Watt Micro ATX/SFX Power Supply FSP300-60GHS-R
http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Certified-300-...004VF4R4U/
$44.99

It's a "micro-ATX" or SFX12V form factor PSU so it's much shorter than an ATX PSU but it comes with a bracket that will let you mount it in an ATX PSU bay. It also has a cool feature that at low loads the fan turns off. I have one of these in my server and I cannot hear it with my ear next to it.
Does that psu fan suck in or blow out? The ml03 has a filtered vent in the base under the psu location, if the fan sucks in I would install the psu with the fan underneath.

David[/u]
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
You can not go wrong w/ this "SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W". It's high quality PSU, and it should be very silent with its big 120mm fan.......

For the A6-3500, the only two fans you need and hear are Big Shuriken 120mm CPU cooler fan and SeasSonic 120mm PSU fan........it should be very silent.........

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will a picoPSU work for this A6-3500 HTPC Build?0