Linux XBMC XKILLS itself on playing media
Build: XBMCbuntu 11
Rig:
Foxconn - R10-A1 - AMD E-350 APU 1.6 Ghz - 4Gb DDR3 1066mhz - 40Gb (boot drive) - 750Gb external drive - Audio through HDMI

Problem:
After installing an add-on, I use it for a short while, then when filling in some form data using on screen keyboard, XBMC freezes. This forces me to restart the system, upon restart, none of my media will play (short of photos). Screen blacks out and the black "xkill" X is shown on screen. XBMC then resets itself and sends me back to home.

WHY!
Very frustrating.
Settings are all on stock. Other than for a network remote.

LOGS ARE HERE:

My debug xbmc.log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=4256
My XBMC crashlog: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=4257
Man am I glad I saw your post. I am having the same issue. Here is the link to the thread I started if it can help anyone. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=134846

I recently reformatted the HD and reinstalled XBMCbuntu. Everything worked great for 4 days and then this morning same issue all over again. Doesn't matter which type of media I play, video or audio, it kills itself and then restarts. This is very odd.

Here is the link to my latest crash log...

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=4330

I have no idea whats going on. I did just do dist-upgrade and it updated the kernel, but I have restarted multiple times so I would think the issue would have exhibited it itself earlier.

What I've noticed is when checking the audio mixer app in the programs section, there seems to be nothing listed. <.<

Lines 87 and 153 have similar errors
Lines 92 and 257 also have similar errors (this one is the audio mixer)
Lines 103 and 299.
In my log, 601, 602, 606 all have audio errors, either pulse or audio mixer.

Which by logical deduction, there must something conflicting with the audio mixer, possibly a poor driver, or an incorrect shut down procedure corrupts it until it is unusable. Will try to find the audio mixer program and reinstall it. I'll see if that makes a change
Same for me, nothing listed in the Audio Mixer addon for me. Yesterday I was fooling around with this mixer. I would bet this has something to do with it, I just am not smart enough to know how. Removing the addon does nothing.

I tried running ~$ alsamixer and this is what I got...

$ alsamixer
ALSA lib conf.c:1219Sadparse_def) default is not a compound
ALSA lib conf.c:1685Sadsnd_config_load1) _toplevel_:1:13:Invalid argument
ALSA lib conf.c:3467Sadsnd_config_hook_load) /home/brad/.asoundrc may be old or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it
ALSA lib conf.c:3326Sadsnd_config_hooks_call) function snd_config_hook_load returned error: Invalid argument
ALSA lib conf.c:3713Sadsnd_config_update_r) hooks failed, removing configuration
cannot open mixer: Invalid argument

So.. I solved it by deleting my .asoundrc file. Thanks for the help!
(2012-07-01, 22:57)beschmid Wrote: I tried running ~$ alsamixer and this is what I got...

$ alsamixer
ALSA lib conf.c:1219Sadparse_def) default is not a compound
ALSA lib conf.c:1685Sadsnd_config_load1) _toplevel_:1:13:Invalid argument
ALSA lib conf.c:3467Sadsnd_config_hook_load) /home/brad/.asoundrc may be old or corrupted: consider to remove or fix it
ALSA lib conf.c:3326Sadsnd_config_hooks_call) function snd_config_hook_load returned error: Invalid argument
ALSA lib conf.c:3713Sadsnd_config_update_r) hooks failed, removing configuration
cannot open mixer: Invalid argument

So.. I solved it by deleting my .asoundrc file. Thanks for the help!

And that solved the problem? Did you just do it through the file manager?
this has to be done via ssh from a remote computer or the linux shell...

If you are a windows user use putty to connect via ssh.
(2012-07-02, 13:49)john.cord Wrote: this has to be done via ssh from a remote computer or the linux shell...

If you are a windows user use putty to connect via ssh.

Well that stumped me. Anyone point me to a link for a how to on running ssh
Search for a little windows app call putty. Install/run it and type in the IP of you xbmc device and select ssh as the protocol and click connect/open.

This gets you connected to your xbmc device (after you enter your login details), you can now issue a bunch of Linux commands like cd and rm to change directories and delete files etc.
I use another computer that is connected wirelessly to my home wifi network which my xbmcbuntu machine also is connected to. I open the terminal on my "other" machine and using your XBMCbuntu's IP address, type "ssh xxx.xxx.xxxx.xxx", it will ask you for your password, enter it. Then using commands I located my .asoundrc file and using "rm -rf ./asoundrc", I deleted the file. I hope this helps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC XKILLS itself on playing media0