Lightdm stop...lightdm start no GUI/Desktop
Hi there....

I´ve installed the "new" XBMCbuntu 12.04 with AE" from another thread.

After reading, that it´s better to use an older NVidia driver I got managed to install a 290.10 version. But...and thats the problem. To get this to work, I had to stop my X-Server.

Code:
lightdm stop

Then I startet to run the file:

"NVidia-driver-file-however.run"

Everything works fine and now I´ve got the 290.10 driver version.

I allowed the installer to change my xorg.conf...maybe thats important for you to help me.

Now, if I want to start my X-server:

Code:
lightdm start

I won´t get the desktop. It stays in "terminal-look" and presents the screen that you get if you press ESC while booting.

How do I get back to the desktop?

Copying and removing my xorg.conf from /etc/X11 to another directory hasn´t helped.

Need some help please

Greetings
David
If I try to start XBMC from the console I get the error:

"cannot connect to X-Server"

Check in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. That's X's log that it recreates every time X is run. It might be failing to start, and the log would have why.
When you reboot, does it just stay at a terminal? What errors are on-screen?
I had a similar problem, there were no errors on-screen. I just got the boot messages like the OP. It wasn't until I ssh'd in and looked at the X log that I saw there X was reporting an error in one of the stanzas that was causing it to fail.
Here we go...

Xorg.0.log:

http://pastebin.com/9aYnSD2J
@Aenima:

Yes and no...

It stays in text-look, but not direct in a terminal. To get a terminal I had to press STRG+ALT+F1

I found something that might help you to help me. It looks like the lightdm manager stops at booting. Look at this screensshot. This is how the booting ends:

Screenshot

Maybe that info will help to...

If I try to start XMBC by typiing "XBMC" in a terminal, I got this messages/errors

Screeshot 2

Thank you for helping me

David
Uninstall the old/new nvidia first

it cannot load because 2 drivers are fighting

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current

or

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*

then re-run the install

sudo sh ./nvidia****.sh

ok thx

I´ll give this a try at the evening or tomorrow morning

@Joeblack2k:

Thank you very much.

It didn't work promptly as you said, but after a fresh install of the "XBMCbuntu 12.04 with AE" and then following your steps it works.

But I had to set the nouveau driver to the blacklist.conf because this driver is incompatible with the NVidia driver and because of that the installer won't start.

Now I have the 290.10 NVIDIA-Driver installed

Thanks all for helping.

Greetings
David

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lightdm stop...lightdm start no GUI/Desktop0