Best way to get info into an addon.
I currently monitor the temperatures of various rooms and parts of my yard via an arduino that is currently dumping the data into a CSV file on my linux box which is running XBMC. I'd like to get this information available on screen in XBMC with a nice picture showing the temperatures in the various areas.

I'm wondering if it's best to set up a local web server, that will host a webpage displaying the information and picture and then write a plugin that will scrape that and display it in XMBC or if it's going to be easier to just directly parse the data and create the picture then display it all via XBMC. I'd prefer to do the direct route but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it within XBMC.

Any advice? And existing Add-on's doing similar pulling of local data that I can cannibalize to get a jump start?

thx
the way these typically work is that you expose the information as properties to the skin, then the rest is handled by the skin. see how e.g. the weather add-ons work.

how you get the data is entirely up to you.
(2012-07-07, 21:52)strider3700 Wrote: Any advice? And existing Add-on's doing similar pulling of local data that I can cannibalize to get a jump start?

You could take a look at the add-on I did to display information from SpeedFan. That program logs its information to a CSV file, and the add-on reads in what it needs and then displays it on-screen. A link to the add-on is in my sig.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best way to get info into an addon.0