Win New HTPC Build - Help!
I've cycled through several generations of Intel based hardware. I was thinking of giving AMD a try this time Smile.

I think the Llano platform is at it's terminal stage where as the Intel platform still has capacity to improve on itself.
(2012-07-19, 17:20)Bleikur Wrote: I would love to know what GortWillSaveUs, Beer40oz and Eskro have to say about this Intel vs. AMD discussion in respect of future operability.

I would ask the opinion of people that have actually used both the CURRENT Intel options as well as AMD. In my experience on XBMC many people who don't recommend Intel as a viable option admittedly haven't even used them as a comparison.

Both are good options but have very different and distinctive pros vs cons.
(2012-07-19, 17:20)Bleikur Wrote: I would love to know what GortWillSaveUs, Beer40oz and Eskro have to say about this Intel vs. AMD discussion in respect of future operability.

Quick question Bleikur, Does the ASRock A75 Pro4-M fit in the Micro ATX form factor, more specifically the ML03B ?

Apart from the additional RAM slots is there any other difference between the ASRock A75M and ASRock A75 Pro4-M ?
(2012-07-19, 17:33)assassin Wrote:

I would ask the opinion of people that have actually used both the CURRENT Intel options as well as AMD. In my experience on XBMC many people who don't recommend Intel as a viable option admittedly haven't even used them as a comparison.

That's a pretty ignorant statement! You don't know me.
Please do your self a favor and speak only for yourself!
Just stating an observation. Not naming any names.

This is exactly where I have a problem with discussions about future-proofing.
You start happily down the road of choosing between an A6 or an A8, and from what I could see, you were a day away from purchase.
In a week, you probably would have had a competed system and been happily watching Movies.

But then the whole Intel/AMD can of worms is opened.
I have built Intel and I have built AMD.
I personally find that the A6 is enough (and then some) to do what I wanted.
Others that I have built systems for, are also extremely happy and they are ignorant to what's under the hood.
They left the decision to me,..I saved them a few bucks,...and now they watch Star Wars to their hearts content.

It's the same thing tryign to argue Linux vs. Windows vs. Unix vs. Mainframe,..vs. whatever......
Each of these has their purpose and they are good at it.

As another example:
If all you do is browse the Internet,..then what does it matter if its Ubuntu or Windows,..right?
So why get all hot and bothered and try to argue the point.

Make yourself happy,..build something and watch movies.
Don't listen to too many opinions,..they'll only drive you crazy.
Making things fairly simple. I will just go ahead with the AMD platform. I've already ordered my parts. Got the A8 we'll see how the heat goes, it's my use only so I tend to play some games on it as well. So it will fit my usability bill.

Final questions,
1. ASRock A75M and ASRock A75 Pro4-M ? Any difference? Price is nearly the same. Will the Pro4-M fit in the ML03B ?
2. Is the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B really really needed? I mean apart from the silence part is it really that recommeneded? or is it just the hype and the good looks of it? It is $45 you know.
Its swings and roundabouts as far as AMD V's Intel is concerned, each have their merits and are comparable on price so it's really down to personal choice, an AMD A6 and A75 mobo will be just as enjoyable an HTPC as an Intel G series CPU and a H77 mobo. But where Intel do beat AMD is in power consumption and heat.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
(2012-07-19, 18:06)saurabh711 Wrote: Final questions,
1. ASRock A75M and ASRock A75 Pro4-M ? Any difference? Price is nearly the same. Will the Pro4-M fit in the ML03B ?
2. Is the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B really really needed? I mean apart from the silence part is it really that recommeneded? or is it just the hype and the good looks of it? It is $45 you know.

Both the A75M and A75 Pro4-M are mATX so they should both fit into any mATX case.
I listed the specifications of both boards side by side in Excel and highlighted the differences. I don't see that it is possible to attach a document to this post, so I will send it to you via PM.

I already asked the question about third party coolers. The stock cooler will probably do for cooling but is probably louder than the Big Shuriken. In the worst case you have to buy it later if the system gets to hot or loud.
(2012-07-19, 18:29)Bleikur Wrote:

Both the A75M and A75 Pro4-M are mATX so they should both fit into any mATX case.
I listed the specifications of both boards side by side in Excel and highlighted the differences. I don't see that it is possible to attach a document to this post, so I will send it to you via PM.

I already asked the question about third party coolers. The stock cooler will probably do for cooling but is probably louder than the Big Shuriken. In the worst case you have to buy it later if the system gets to hot or loud.

Thanks Bleikur!

Thanks everyone! The build will be awesome! I will post pics... Smile
(2012-07-19, 18:30)saurabh711 Wrote:
(2012-07-19, 18:29)Bleikur Wrote:

Thanks Bleikur!

Thanks everyone! The build will be awesome! I will post pics... Smile

Just an fyi that you will have to remove everything from the case to install the Shuriken at a later date. Something to consider depending on how valuable your time is.
(2012-07-19, 18:50)assassin Wrote: Just an fyi that you will have to remove everything from the case to install the Shuriken at a later date. Something to consider depending on how valuable your time is.

Thanks will keep that in mind.

If you want to fully utilize front USB 3.0, I'm recommending this "GIGABYTE GA-A75M-S2V".........

Oh by the way, please try to keep the voice down.......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I find it interesting how offering a different viewpoint or opinion, also with the same intent: to help out, maybe save someone some money is interpreted as "being all hot and bothered" and gets responses like "please keep your voice down".

Just make "no alternate suggestions or opinions" XBMC hardware forums policy and there will be no more discussion.

Or, accept that different people have different experiences and offering alternatives to someone looking to build might actually be helpful so they can ultimately decide among the choices what works best for them.
(2012-07-19, 18:08)DavidT99 Wrote: Its swings and roundabouts as far as AMD V's Intel is concerned, each have their merits and are comparable on price so it's really down to personal choice, an AMD A6 and A75 mobo will be just as enjoyable an HTPC as an Intel G series CPU and a H77 mobo. But where Intel do beat AMD is in power consumption and heat.

David

You seem to be right. I just read this article where the Intel Core i3-2105 Processor and the AMD A8-3850 APU are compared.
  • Both of the processors did well in certain areas and not so much in others.
  • Both the Intel and the AMD platforms do great in Blu-ray playback, so watching videos on either platforms is fine.
  • The AMD A8-3850 APU has roughly twice the gaming graphics performance of the Intel Core i3-2105 processor.
  • Both processores use almost equal power at an idle.
  • The AMD A8 consumes around two times the power of the Intel i3-2105 at load.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC Build - Help!0