Home Network Wiring
Good luck in your project. Like everyone has said, cat6 is the thing to use if it is feasible for your situation so I hope your install goes smoothly.
HTPC: i5 3570K || Noctua NH-L12 || ASRock Z77E-ITX || 8GB Samsung Eco || Intel 330 120GB || Lian Li PC-Q09 ||
Main Desktop: i7 2600k @ 4.8Ghz || Epic 180 on Epic T1000 TIM || Asus Z68 Deluxe || 16GB Ripjaws @ 2133 ||
|| Maingear Shift || EVGA 8800GTS 640MB || OWC Mecury Electra 3G || 320GB, 2x500GB, 1.5Tb, 2x2TB ||
(2012-07-20, 22:19)SSDD Wrote: Good luck in your project. Like everyone has said, cat6 is the thing to use if it is feasible for your situation so I hope your install goes smoothly.

I'll be sure to post thanking you all for the help or the pictures of the hole where I fell through the ceiling. Wink
Main HTPC: i5-2500k Sandybridge 3.3Ghz - ASRock Z68 - Radeon HD6950 2GB - 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws - 64GB Crucial M4 SSD - 500GB HDD storage
Master Bedroom: G530 - ASRock H67M - 4GB Kingston HyperX - 160GB Seagate 2.5"
Living Room: Xbox 360 Media Center Extender
(2012-07-20, 17:37)mprez333 Wrote: As for the MoCA, I'd definitely be interested in hearing about that. It's new to me and I have an existing coax network for cable working and ready.

MoCA networking is definitely an alternative option if you don't want to run cables,drill holes and climb through attics. Check my sig for more details on MoCA! Been using it for over 2 years now and the experience has been phenomenal. Check out this post also that I drew a diagram of my current MoCA set-up.

(2012-07-21, 05:34)CpTHOOK Wrote: MoCA networking is definitely an alternative option if you don't want to run cables,drill holes and climb through attics.

... or crawl around under your house as I just did this week! Would loved to have gone the MoCA route but, I actually only have a cable outlet in two rooms of my house so something was going to have to be ran regardless, might as well be Cat6!
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

Moca is a good option if you don't want to put in the work of running your own CAT6. I ran CAT6 in my house. I figured, might as well future proof it, plus, you only have to do it once (if you do it right).

Here's what I did to make it easier on me. I noticed I had a 110 outlet in my attic, so I simply put in a gigabit switch in the attic. Then I just ran one leg to each of the spots in my house that I wanted an outlet. One of the legs will have the router and provide connection through the gigabit switch to all the other outlets. This way, if I wanted to, I could move my router to any other room in the house.

A few words of advise for you...

If you haven't dropped lines before, make sure that the wall you're doing the drop on doesn't have horizontal breaks. I made the mistake of trying to fish a line down a wall adjacent to a bathroom that had horizontal breaks in the frame. I could only get the line down 3 feet.

You can use glow rods to fish the line down (that's what I used), but my buddy found this cool magnetic wall fish. Basically it uses two rare earth magnets. You attach the smaller one to the line that's being dropped from the attic, then you take the roller magnet and roll it until you find the other magnet behind the dry wall, then just simply drag it down to your outlet hole that you've cut out with your drywall knife. The equipment is more than glow rods, but it saves a lot of time.
Thank you to everyone for this awesome software!
(2012-07-21, 20:42)SlackMaster Wrote: You can use glow rods to fish the line down (that's what I used), but my buddy found this cool magnetic wall fish. Basically it uses two rare earth magnets. You attach the smaller one to the line that's being dropped from the attic, then you take the roller magnet and roll it until you find the other magnet behind the dry wall, then just simply drag it down to your outlet hole that you've cut out with your drywall knife. The equipment is more than glow rods, but it saves a lot of time.

Awesome find on the roller magnet fish! I'll definitely pick one of these up when the time comes for me to run wires. I also like the glo-rods idea. I'd probably end up using a combination of both. Thanks for sharing that SlackMaster!

Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2012-07-21, 20:47)thrak76 Wrote: Awesome find on the roller magnet fish! I'll definitely pick one of these up when the time comes for me to run wires. I also like the glo-rods idea. I'd probably end up using a combination of both. Thanks for sharing that SlackMaster!

Happy to share what I've learned. I'm not a developer so I try to give back to the community where I can.

I also forgot to mention, leave yourself some extra slack in that ethernet line. If the run is about 30ft, run 32ft of cable. That way if you mess up when you're crimping a line or putting in a wall outlet you have some wiggle room.
Thank you to everyone for this awesome software!
LOL SlackMaster, I always leave more on each end.

(2012-07-21, 20:52)SlackMaster Wrote:
(2012-07-21, 20:47)thrak76 Wrote: Awesome find on the roller magnet fish! I'll definitely pick one of these up when the time comes for me to run wires. I also like the glo-rods idea. I'd probably end up using a combination of both. Thanks for sharing that SlackMaster!

Happy to share what I've learned. I'm not a developer so I try to give back to the community where I can.

I also forgot to mention, leave yourself some extra slack in that ethernet line. If the run is about 30ft, run 32ft of cable. That way if you mess up when you're crimping a line or putting in a wall outlet you have some wiggle room.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Home Network Wiring0