XBMCbuntu help with mounting hard disk
Would someone be able to help me please....

I have just installed XBMCbuntu to test, it is installed/running on one hard disk but I have all my films etc on another hard disk inside the same machine.

From what I can gather so far it would seem I have to mount the disk somehow to allow me to see it it XBMC?

How do I go about this please (I know nowt about linux/ubuntu etc)?

Any help much appreciated.
(2012-07-23, 20:51)stiscooby Wrote: How do I go about this please (I know nowt about linux/ubuntu etc)?
What does "nowt" mean?. Are you saying you are or are not familiar with Linux and Ubuntu?

If you are somewhat familiar, you can refer to this write-up, starting with the section "Create A Mount Point" and continuing with the instructions to mount the secondary hard drive. If you automatically mount the secondary drive at system startup, it will be visible to XBMC and you can use the Add source (or videos) option to make the media files on that drive available to XBMC.
(2012-07-23, 22:00)artrafael Wrote:
(2012-07-23, 20:51)stiscooby Wrote: How do I go about this please (I know nowt about linux/ubuntu etc)?
What does "nowt" mean?. Are you saying you are or are not familiar with Linux and Ubuntu?

If you are somewhat familiar, you can refer to this write-up, starting with the section "Create A Mount Point" and continuing with the instructions to mount the secondary hard drive. If you automatically mount the secondary drive at system startup, it will be visible to XBMC and you can use the Add source (or videos) option to make the media files on that drive available to XBMC.

Thanks for your reply.

"nowt" is an english saying Smile it means "I do not know anything" etc.

Anyway, I have now managed to resolve my issue. I found a software add on "pysdm", I installed this and selected the relevant drive. Now the drive is automatically mounted when XBMC starts Wink

I will probably need to learn how to do things the more "manual" way as I would like to reload XBMCbuntu when I have tested it as I just picked the "auto" install option with regards to the disk so at the moment I am using a spare 2TB drive with Just XBMCbuntu installed so need to learn how to create partitions etc in ubuntu (tried that during the install but I kept getting a message saying something about "no root file system is defined"??
XBMCbuntu Quick Nav Walkthru (Adding to Library)
(2012-07-23, 22:12)stiscooby Wrote: I will probably need to learn how to do things the more "manual" way as I would like to reload XBMCbuntu when I have tested it as I just picked the "auto" install option with regards to the disk so at the moment I am using a spare 2TB drive with Just XBMCbuntu installed so need to learn how to create partitions etc in ubuntu (tried that during the install but I kept getting a message saying something about "no root file system is defined"??

The manual way is to edit the file \etc\fstab. You add one line of text that describes each drive you want to mount.

Perhaps the most daunting part of the task is learning how to use linux text editors.

For more information on fstab, do an internet search for "fstab" and "mount". For example, see http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

For more information on a text editor that comes with XBMCbuntu, do a search for "vi" and "commands". For example, see http://www.cs.colostate.edu/helpdocs/vi.html

Hope this is helpful.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu help with mounting hard disk0