Eden "file view" seems useless now, need help.
Hi guys,

Don't mean for post #2 to be a rant but please bare with me, this is a little hard to explain. I'm a long time user/fan of XBMC and have just successfully setup a MySQL server on my unRAID box (NAS) to sync all my HTPCs - everything is working great. The problem I am having I believe may be related to Eden though I could be just ignorant. If I'm missing something, could someone please point it out. For arguments sake, I have/prefer my [video] media split into categories similar to the following: TV Shows, Movies, Documentaries, Stand-Up, TED, Other.

When switching between library and file view it seems there is almost no difference in what you see now, except that TV & Movies aren't accessible in the file list once they have been added to the library. What this means is, I can choose between having TV & Movies on the top level and everything else under "files" but not all of my categories together. It seems now (Eden?) I am forced to have "preferential treatment" for TV & Movies while the rest just gets buried almost as if it is less important. From memory, v10 would allow you to use "file view" to essentially see all of the added sources, so I would be able to see everything (TV, Movies, Movies 2, Movies HD, Documentaries, Stand-Up, TED, Other...). This worked well as I could use my own file structure and everything was accessible from the one menu but I can't seem to replicate this setup with Eden.

I understand that part of this change allows you to sift through files while still filtering by genre, etc. and that's fine.. however it seems "Movies" and "TV Shows" always want to be separated from everything else. The closest I have been able to get to a single menu for all of my categories is adding favourites to the home screen (currently running Transparency! skin) but there is a limited number you can add, they aren't sorted in any particular order and there are folders that just don't need to be on the home screen as it adds clutter. I tried removing TV & Movies from the home screen, replacing it with Videos but then it takes me to the library and I still need to select "Files" to view half my categories.. can't everything be together?

On a related note; I would also like to use a TV scraper for my documentaries folder as about half of these can be picked up on TVDB but I do not want these mixed in with my regular TV shows as they have a category of their own. If I set the content to this folder as "TV" and scrape it, will my docos be added to my TV library? My best guess is they will which is why I haven't done it yet.

Thanks Smile
Quote:When switching between library and file view it seems there is almost no difference in what you see now, except that TV & Movies aren't accessible in the file list once they have been added to the library.

They should be in both views. Adding videos to the library will not remove them from files view. The only thing that will hide scanned videos from showing up in file view is if you have "hide watched" turned on, but that would affect both library and file views at the same time.
Should file view be showing all of the sources (for instance movies is made up of multiple shares)?

Movies & TV don't come up at all when I select file view, on my desktop (Windows version) or on my laptop (Openelec).
Files is a list of your... files. i.e. any sources you've added. That's it. The hierarchy is:

Code:
Library
  Files
  Movies
  TV Shows
  Music Videos
  Add-ons
  Playlists
  etc.

In pre-Eden, there is 2 differences:

1. The Files entry isn't there, instead there's a whole window that just shows what "Files" contains.
2. The Files view did not contain library information for files that had it.

In Eden, if your files have metadata in the library, then that metadata is shown. This allows folk to browse their library, complete with metadata, using the filesystem hierarchy. Thus, if you want two movie libraries, you can do that with 2 separate sources each scanned in. Then Files will list those two sources and when you browse each of them you get the metadata associated with each movie.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for clarifying Jonathan.

Any guess as to why my TV & Movies aren't showing up under "Files" view? Based on what you have said there should be more showing than what I can see.

I can post the details of any config files if you need. I'm a bit lost as to what is causing this.

Thanks
Given your other posts on the forum, it's likely because you haven't actually added any sources to one or more of your clients.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

My bad, it was actually as easy as re-adding the sources. I have no idea why they weren't added originally but everything seems to be working now.

Thanks for clarifying.
I have the same issue with my sources not showing up in File view.

I also have multiple XBMC instances synced using MySQL server. I suspect the process of re-importing the library as documented in the Wiki (or my inability to follow instructions Smile) causes the sources to go missing.

Strangely, new videos are picked up by XBMC on startup, so surely it is still aware of my sources.

Will inspect my sources.xml tonight.
MySQL will only share the library. It won't share your sources.xml file unless you specifically configure it to do so with path subs (wiki).
Thanks for the path subs trick, wasn't aware of it Smile

Are the sources included in the XML file when you do a video library export? I assumed the sources would also be re-imported, i.e.:

- Do library export
- Rename all paths in library export file to be prefixed with "smb://" instead of file paths
- Remove all XBMC sources
- Re-import library export on all XBMC instances
- Sources are re-created as well as show up in File view?

Referring to the Wiki guide here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._libraries
Nope, sources would have to be manually changed/created in that situation.
(2012-07-25, 09:37)nbroers Wrote: I have the same issue with my sources not showing up in File view.

I also have multiple XBMC instances synced using MySQL server. I suspect the process of re-importing the library as documented in the Wiki (or my inability to follow instructions Smile) causes the sources to go missing.

Strangely, new videos are picked up by XBMC on startup, so surely it is still aware of my sources.

I also have this problem, did you find a way to get the sources to show up?
sources.xml defines the sources. No sources -> Nothing in filemode.

What is scanned into the library is defined in the database independent of whether or not you have a source.

ahh, see since moving my database to mysql i have 2 sometime 3 versions of every movie, and 4 versions of every song (tv shows are fine) im using a smart playlist for movies so i dont have to see the duplicates but id rather just get rid of them (plus my music library has become inoperable) any idea how this happened?
(2012-08-12, 01:26)celtics101 Wrote:
(2012-07-25, 09:37)nbroers Wrote: I have the same issue with my sources not showing up in File view.

I also have this problem, did you find a way to get the sources to show up?

I just re-added the sources and they showed up in File mode. Didn't cause any duplicates.

(2012-08-14, 12:12)celtics101 Wrote: ahh, see since moving my database to mysql i have 2 sometime 3 versions of every movie, and 4 versions of every song (tv shows are fine) im using a smart playlist for movies so i dont have to see the duplicates but id rather just get rid of them (plus my music library has become inoperable) any idea how this happened?

You didn't perhaps have the paths containing smb:// paths and then re-added as local paths? Or re-imported the video library export file?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Eden "file view" seems useless now, need help. 0