Anyone in Kansas City?
Is anyone in Kansas City on here? If you are, I'm jealous. Why? Because of your new ISP!

http://fiber.google.com/about/

What do y'all think about that? Gigabit Internet!
Yes, I'm jealous too. I wonder if those are long-term or just promo prices?
Very cool. Gigabit internet I couldnt even imagine it.
I think those prices are here to stay... I wonder if Cable providers across the nation are gonna take note and start providing these types of speeds.

The highest my ISP goes is 50Mbps, and that costs like $120/month!
Yes, I would love to have an alternative to the cable company stranglehold on TV and high-speed Internet access.
Yeah, Comcast in Baltimore is charging $60 for 20Mbit down, plus there is a 250GB monthly cap (for down + up)

They used to have deals that ran $30 for 6 months, but at the end you could sign up for the new deal. Now they changed it so that you can only get the deals if you also have tv service. I refuse to spend a dime on cable tv. I bought a $10 antenna and I get the local channels for free.
Well this is a good thing not just for kansas but for everywhere I would imagine. If all our ISPs wanna stay in businesses and and not be taken over by google eventually they are gonna have to either drop their prices significantly or raise their speeds significantly. Most likely both will happen.
Yeah I pay $50 for 12 Mbps with a 150 GB monthly cap. I would pay $70 all day for 1 Gbps with NO CAPS. It will take a long time for Google to expand. It took 1 year for not even all of Kansas City.
I thought high speed internet in the states was cheaper, and there even are CAPS? I feel quite lucky now: in Germany, I get 32 Mbps download / 1 Mbps upload, with no caps, for 30€/month. 100 Mbps would be 50€.

However... I can't even imagine what I could do with 1Gbps!!! Your home network and internet at the same speed, that's real crazy, isn't it?
No man...internet is pretty expensive here. And my ISP can charge whatever they want because there is a monopoly where I live, so they are the only ISP that I can get internet from. It really sucks.
I live in the suburbs just southwest of KC, KS. Unfortunately we won't see the fiber network down here for awhile. until then I'll continue complaining about my TWC internet. Sad
(2012-07-30, 02:39)redsoxboi21 Wrote: Yeah I pay $50 for 12 Mbps with a 150 GB monthly cap. I would pay $70 all day for 1 Gbps with NO CAPS. It will take a long time for Google to expand. It took 1 year for not even all of Kansas City.
Here's an interesting editorial piece on why the Google Fiber pilot in KC needs to succeed: http://www.infoworld.com/d/data-center/g...3?page=0,1

A couple of quotes from the article:
Quote:There you have the broadband disparity in a nutshell: At the same time that some ISPs are "experimenting" with data caps, metered Internet access, and tiering plans, Google is "experimenting" with absurdly fast access with no restrictions and offering it for free. It's not hard to see who wins that battle.
Quote:Granted, this project is currently limited to residential customers in one area in the United States, but Google owns a massive amount of dark fiber, waiting to be used. Should this pilot go as planned, I'm certain Google will put in place similar plans in other cities and states. Again, those bells had better be ringing long and loud at Comcast, Verizon, AT&T, and Time Warner.
My hope is that, even if Google Fiber doesn't get to the rest of the country anytime soon, the entrenched ISPs will be scared enough by the prospect of this new rival that they will be forced to take pre-emptive measures by overhauling their pricing and service plans across the country. There's nothing like competition to stir a company or industry out of complacency and monopolistic practices.
I live in a rural area in a neighborhood with underground utilities. Even in the year 3012, we'll still be getting our internet via cable. There's no way anyone is going to lay anything fiber or otherwise to 14 houses. It'll be interesting to see how the Tel/CableCo's trying to kill this like they did WiMax.

And besides, Verizon sold all their fiber in VT, NH & ME to FairPoint which then went bankrupt. No FIOS for you!

Very good article, but I also highly doubt that Google Fiber will ever come to where I am, because I live outside of the city, where there aren't a ton of houses. Most people are older folks too. But what exactly is dark fiber?
Dark fiber is unused, installed fiber cable, or cable owned by one company but leased to another.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone in Kansas City?0