[Unraid] Sempron 145 CPU Cooler + Questions
Hi all

Managed to get a Sempron 145 - OEM version cheap for my soon to be built Unraid server.

As its an OEM version it didn't come with a CPU cooler and i have no idea how much heat the Sempron 145 will generate, so Im in the market for one.

I do have a stock CPU cooler from my AMD Llano A6-3500 Tri-Core Processor, will this fit a Sempron?

What CPU cooler do you guys use with your unraid boxes?

Ideally after something that doesn't sound like a jumbo jet taking off and as quite as possible.
Old newbie trying his hardest to get his head around skinning lol, expect loads of questions :-)

It may be hard but the challenge of learning something new is fun :-)
The Scythe BIG SHURIKEN 2 Rev B. 5-Heatpipe Universal Low Profile CPU Cooler (SCBSK-2100) is AM3 compatible and it virtually silent. It does an awesome job keeping heat down. I use mine without any case fans.

Also see here for more details.
Hi again Gort Smile

I have one of them in my htpc and it is nice. Was thinking about getting another for the unraid server.

Just curious to know if AMD Llano A6-3500 FM1 stock cooler would fit the Asus M5A78L-M LX V2 Socket AM3+ until i get one.

Eager to get playing lol
Old newbie trying his hardest to get his head around skinning lol, expect loads of questions :-)

AM2, AM3, etc., FM1 all take the same size CPU cooler.

E.g., I use the Silverstone NT07-AM2 for my A6-3500 mini-itx builds.
(2012-08-07, 16:46)Dougie Fresh Wrote: AM2, AM3, etc., FM1 all take the same size CPU cooler.

Thanks for responding Dougie.
I also have my stock A6 cpu cooler,....it's in my "box-o-parts" just waiting to be used one day.
I'm glad this OP asked the question since I may use it in my next build which is for someone looking to cut costs.
Yup the A6 stock cooler will fit your Sempron and it will work just fine. I am using the Shuriken 1100 on my unraid server because I had it as a spare.... and yes they are more quiet then OEM coolers....

Beer: You HAD to post another picture of your white case again? Wink
That case is awesome and I'd like one too.
Hi

Probably will use me A6 Stock cooler to start with, then get me a Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B Low Profile CPU once i got the cash.

Last bits arrived today, play time tonight Big Grin will post a pick when done, wont look as good as beers though Blush

Is there a way to monitor the CPU / Motherboard temps in Unraid?

Using the Antec P182 Case, as had it doing nothing, no idea what the temps going to get like, It has 2x 120mm at front pulling in cooling the drives and 1 on top at back of case and 1 up high on back level with CPU also pulling out.

@Beer: Looks so good in there, where the colored SATA cables come from, I take it Reds Parity and Greens Data?

Wonder whats the insides going to look like once you get some dust in there.

With the Sempron and 2x120mm fans I expect you'll be able to chill some beers in there.
(2012-08-08, 14:14)Icerat Wrote: Hi

Probably will use me A6 Stock cooler to start with, then get me a Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B Low Profile CPU once i got the cash.

Last bits arrived today, play time tonight Big Grin will post a pick when done, wont look as good as beers though Blush

Is there a way to monitor the CPU / Motherboard temps in Unraid?

Using the Antec P182 Case, as had it doing nothing, no idea what the temps going to get like, It has 2x 120mm at front pulling in cooling the drives and 1 on top at back of case and 1 up high on back level with CPU also pulling out.

@Beer: Looks so good in there, where the colored SATA cables come from, I take it Reds Parity and Greens Data?

Wonder whats the insides going to look like once you get some dust in there.

The stock A6 cooler should be all that you need.... temps are low with the Sempron...

Yes neon red for parity and the green for data.... I get all my Sata cables from here....
http://www.svc.com/sata-cable.html

Don't worry to much about the CPU temps... at all.... worry more on the Hd's witch in unraid via your web browser you can monitor.

The only thing make sure you set the CPU fan to low ... depends on your motherboard.... but if I leave it stock it will spin high so set it to 50/122 the RPMs go down by half or more and you wont hear the cpu cooler anymore...
Tongue

Cheers...
I don't worry about the CPU temp in my unraid so I kept the stock fan. The noise wont be a problem either unless it's so loud I can hear it in the living room from the basement, if I can I have other issues...I did get some good case fans to keep the HD's cool...
(2012-08-08, 19:48)KraziJoe Wrote: I don't worry about the CPU temp in my unraid so I kept the stock fan. The noise wont be a problem either unless it's so loud I can hear it in the living room from the basement, if I can I have other issues...I did get some good case fans to keep the HD's cool...

Same here, but as the Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case already came with a ton of fans,..I never have to worry about temps.

Hi

I use the Antec 300 Case on my main rig and that's nice an cool has 2x 120m fans at front and the 140mm at the top and using a Corsair h60 to Cool me CPU, Temps are realty low Smile

For my Unraid Box I'm using an old Antec P182 Case i had spare. http://xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/cases/antec-p182/

The systems now built will be having a play and learning tonight with a couple of 1TB drive i have so i can get used to setting up and slip levels etc etc.

Should i use Unraid 4.7 or just go for the Latest RC?

(2012-08-09, 14:20)Icerat Wrote: Should i use Unraid 4.7 or just go for the Latest RC?

In my opinion,..I use 4.7 and wouldn't use anything else until it is formally released.
Using beta versions is just not an option for me since it risks screwing up data that I depend on.
There's a good reason software developers call it beta,....they're not sure that it will do what its supposed to.
And it may do things its not supposed to.

(2012-08-09, 17:44)GortWillSaveUs Wrote:
(2012-08-09, 14:20)Icerat Wrote: Should i use Unraid 4.7 or just go for the Latest RC?

In my opinion,..I use 4.7 and wouldn't use anything else until it is formally released.
Using beta versions is just not an option for me since it risks screwing up data that I depend on.
There's a good reason software developers call it beta,....they're not sure that it will do what its supposed to.
And it may do things its not supposed to.

+1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Unraid] Sempron 145 CPU Cooler + Questions0