Win What is wrong with my system?
My XBMC system has been running excellent for over a year. Suddenly, the following symptoms:

- Skin randomly reverts to confluence
- Videos that are new in the last week continually re-scan every time xbmc loads
- Any changes in skin settings or any other settings are reverted every time xbmc loads
- login information for plugins is frequently forgotten (ie, youtube)
- random freezes and crashes
- can't watch a video, always crashes part way (black screen)
- Lots of plugin failed errors

not xbmc related:

- tried to update plex server on same machine, installer complained about not enough virtual memory
- sabnzbd on same machine is re-downloading items from the past week over and over
- tried to install VLC to see if I could watch a movie using that. Downloaded and installed properly. Would not run.
- Rebooted, then VLC was nowhere to be found!
- Even the downloaded .exe had vanished from the downloads folder (weird!!)

The system fans are fine, it is not dusty, temperatures are near ambient.

Suspected bad RAM. Downloaded latest memtest, has been running for 30 hours with no errors. (17 passes)

System has an SSD boot drive. Now I suspect the drive must be ditching all the write operations for the last week. So it tells the system it is writing the file, keeps it in cache for a little while, but never actually writes it permanently.

Does anyone agree or disagree with my diagnosis? I've never seen a system behave this way before.

My plan is to use macrium reflect to image the drive onto a new replacement, hoping the dying drive has enough good data to build a stable new boot drive. I might use something like clonezilla if I have any troubles in the windows interface of reflect.

Good Plan?

Sounds more like a permission issue on your userdata folder of XBMC (so it can't save its configurations). Your xbmc.log would tell you about permission problems.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
thanks, I've checked that out and the permissions seem to be normal.

I've visited the forums for my SSD and the issues are in line with what others have experienced.

It likely died quickly because it serves so many functions on a single machine. Oh well, it was a cheap drive.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is wrong with my system?0