Linux How to setup webcam in XBMC / XBMCbuntu? Only fullscreen preview needed...
I've build a dedicated PC for use in Dental Clinic, with USB dental camera connected directly to the computer.

With XBMC, I can play short instruction videos easily, just with keyboard, but I need realtime fullscreen webcam preview too. I don't want to install Windows 7 just because of this.

On Win7, I can get it to work with combination of YouCam+XBMC+Autohotkey for quickly switching between the two, but this solution isn't reliable at all. YouCam software is bloated, uses non-standard windows, quits fullscreen mode all the time and pops-up error messages, which user can't dismiss with keyboard, so I have to use mouse every moment.

Is there any way to setup this camera in XBMC, or any simple working fullscreen webcam software for XBMCbuntu?
It is connected to PC directly, uses standard USB interface like any common camera.

No recording, nor saving images is needed.

Thank you for replies
My silent AMD Zacate HTPC on MSI E350IA-E45, 16W@46°C when idle, 27sec cold boot
seems that mplayer can handle webcam streams out of the box ..

try this [example taken from wiki.ubuntuusers.de/WebCam - there are a lot more information about different hard- & software, "unfortunately" in german language only]

mplayer tv:// -tv device=/dev/videoX [X represents the default device number]

and than simply install AdvancedLauncher to start it from within xbmc ...

Update: watch this - http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Webcam-HOWTO/

So long

LCS

HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
PS3 BD Remote Control Daemon for Kodi/Linux
UNCHAINED Demo Group

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to setup webcam in XBMC / XBMCbuntu? Only fullscreen preview needed...0