Remote for use with XBMC in Windows 7
As I am planning on building a Win7 HTPC that will be using XBMC as it's frontend, I have been looking for a cheap simple yet effective remote.

I have looked at the Rosewill RRC-126 as well as the MediaGate GP-IR02BK; I have also looked at Logitech Harmony 300i, but I would need an IR receiver for that.

Neither the Rosewill or the MediaGate seem to have fabulous reviews. I am just looking to for a remote to control the HTPC, do not need it to control other devices. Any suggestions on a decent remote?

I have also thought about buying the wireless dongle for the Xbox Controller and just using that with a Chatpad connected. I can't find much information on the functionality of that setup though. Does anyone here use the controller? and if so, do you have decent functionlity? Can you use the controller to wake the HTPC from S3?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=117372
I stumbled across that thread last night Smile it has some great information in it.

Has anyone been able to get the Xbox Chatpad to work with their HTPC and a wireless 360 controller yet? or still only wired?

I was also looking last night at the the VERIS Elite/iMON VFD.
A great remote is this one;

http://www.amazon.ca/Windows-Control-Inf...=8-1-fkmr0

I have one for each of my HTPC's.

If you want a decent wireless mini keyboard I recommend this one if you can find it in Canada;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handsize-Wireles...094&sr=8-1

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
the Zyon is nice, will have to see if I can find that in North America,
(2012-08-16, 19:43)Arkitket Wrote: the Zyon is nice, will have to see if I can find that in North America,

Also known as a Xenta PKB-1720

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
(2012-08-16, 20:49)DavidT99 Wrote:
(2012-08-16, 19:43)Arkitket Wrote: the Zyon is nice, will have to see if I can find that in North America,

Also known as a Xenta PKB-1720

David

Yeah, looks like it would be a bit hard to get over here in North America, can't seem to find any retailers that carry it, or an OEM'ed version of it.

Here's one.........

http://www.amazon.ca/SMK-Link-VP6364-Wir...28&sr=1-16

Bit expensive though, this is a £20 keyboard in UK.
Hmm, didn't stumble across that during my search. It is pretty expensive though, for cheaper I could get the NYXboard.
After looking at numerous remotes and mini keyboards, I seem to like these three:

MediaGate GP-IR02BK

Logitech Harmony 300i

Logitech Harmony 650i

Xbox 360 Media Remote

As I mentioned earlier, I don't require the remote to control anything but the HTPC (although if i go the Harmony route it would be nice to be able to fully control my Samsung TV/Reciever/Bluray and my 360, so 4 additional devices other than XBMC), would like to be able to fully configure the remote (change what keypress it sends, have green button/xbox button open xbmx, etc), and would like it to hopefully work with Windows 8.

Any thoughts on these?

harmony650 is the one i have and its awesome!

u can tweak speed and decide which buttons simulates which keyboard letter!
I was taking a look at the Harmony One, but it is a little too expensive for me right now, although I liked that it can do macros.

I have a Samsung C560S Receiver and it does HDMI switching, can the Harmony 650 be used to switch between the HDMI inputs?
the HArmony remote can control your C560S. so yes
Hmm ok, thanks for your help Smile I may need to hold off on a Harmony for a few month, starting to strain the budget with the build as it is. Might get a cheap remote like the Rosewill, Mediagate, or even the Harmony 300 for now. Harmony 300 might be a good idea because then I can move it downstairs in a few months and get a better Harmony for upstairs.

Do you have any experience with the 300i?
Also, stumbled across Flirc, was thinking I might get that and continue using my C560S remote. Anyone have experience with it?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote for use with XBMC in Windows 70