Audio Conflict Issues between WMC and XBMC
(2012-08-21, 18:15)DDDamian Wrote: Are you selecting a DirectSound device/driver in Settings>System>Audio Output?

Your solution worked. I was doing it, but I wasn't thinking about what I was checking until my head cleared a bit tonight and I realized what I was doing. I was still trying to get WMC Live TV and XBMC to play at the same time...which isn't my goal. Instead, I set a show to record and then tested it for sound a few minutes later. The recording in the background, while XBMC was still being used, turned out just great with proper audio and video playback. I left XBMC with exclusive control checked and DirectSound, as you said.

Sorry for the confusion I undoubtedly caused. All is working as I want now. Now off to find a post-processing solution for my Live TV recordings. Cool
Main HTPC: i5-2500k Sandybridge 3.3Ghz - ASRock Z68 - Radeon HD6950 2GB - 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws - 64GB Crucial M4 SSD - 500GB HDD storage
Master Bedroom: G530 - ASRock H67M - 4GB Kingston HyperX - 160GB Seagate 2.5"
Living Room: Xbox 360 Media Center Extender
(2012-08-21, 01:16)DDDamian Wrote: This is a short-term option while we work out a way to allow XBMC to cede control of an audio device to external players when using the WASAPI driver.
If GUI sounds are disabled, is there any reason AE needs to be active at all if nothing is played back and no sounds required while navigating GUI? Probably missing something due to lack of knowledge on the subject.

@bossanova808 - working on it now after fixing up the WASAPI sink last night Wink

@mprez333 - glad to hear it - it's a workaround for now

@jjd-uk - it stems from a design decision before I got involved. It appears that the idea was to run a stream(s) continuously, even if silent, to prevent dropouts on receivers using SPDIF or HDMI when no there's no signal for a period of time, The receiver would drop the connection. This is not a problem with shared audio devices, only with WASAPI where exclusive control can be used. As mentioned working on a way to stop the engine for external players as this is a regression from previous versions. If you want to have a "silent" XBMC in the background and still hear other system/program sounds you will need to use DirectSound. My fix is aimed at allowing external players to run when using the preferred WASAPI driver.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-08-22, 14:55)DDDamian Wrote: If you want to have a "silent" XBMC in the background and still hear other system/program sounds you will need to use DirectSound. My fix is aimed at allowing external players to run when using the preferred WASAPI driver.
Ah, but you can't have HD Audio with DirectSound on AE can you? so that would mean toggling between DirectSound & WASAPI if you want to minimise XBMC and use something else like a web streaming site that would require sound, for me this is mainly UK catch up tv services (itvplayer, 4OD, 5Demand) for which there are no reliable XBMC addons.

I've been toying with the idea of setting up the main sites I use with the external player method outlined at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=How...nal_player

This uses the browser as an external player to open the site from within XBMC. Would your fix work with using a browser as an external player for opening a streaming web site?

Luckily I rarely use my main XBMC box for other things such as the catch up tv services so it's not a massive deal, so anything you can do would be appreciated even if it's just for regular programs like TMT & PDVD.

Great to see you back btw, you've been missed around here Cool
(2012-08-22, 06:30)mprez333 Wrote: The only reason I can think of for why your build is currently working, bluray, is due to your using TMT5 for an external player and I have no idea how to set all that up.
Not really, I use external player (TMT5) to playback blu-ray ISO, BDMV and blu-ray disc to enjoy full blu-ray menu only. I still use XBMC to playback the other blu-ray files (MKV, M2TS, AVI, etc), and once in a while I turn off external player, ISO/BDMV/BD can playback using XBMC fine too.....

If you are interesting in external player codes, you can check out my thread- Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio Conflict Issues between WMC and XBMC0