HUGE Artefacts when playing 24p doesn't happen in VLC
Hey Everyone,

I was looking through the forums and found some fixes like "change to aero theme" and what not but I couldnt find a fix.
I hope you can help.

So, my setup is as follows:

XBMC + HD Audio RC2 (I tried installing the finale but constantly get an appcrash when launching the program... another issue I'm trying to resolve)
i3 2105
ASRock H77 Pro-4-M
4GB 1600 RAM
120GB SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate
Onkyo TX-SR606
Sony KDL-52XBR4

Yesterday my buddy came over and I was about to show off my new HTPC with some game of thrones (which he hasn't seen... I know, CRAZY!!!) when all of the sudden, I press play and the video has all sorts of artefacts on it when things are moving on screen. We then tried VLC, and the video was flawless. The Game of Thrones episode is 8GB 1080P 24Hz.

I tried a couple of playback settings but it didn't work. maybe I'm missing something.
If there is no fix, is there a way of disabling the 24p. And, why does VLC work and XBMC doesn't.... that's really weird to me.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Probably some idiot encoded it in 10bit. Current nightlies support this retarded encoding technique.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Try these-

- Connect your system this way-HTPC-->AVR-->HDTV via HDMI cables
- Set Onkyo to pass-through video
- Update Intel driver from here- Automatically identify and find drivers
- Disable DXVA2 with DXVA as Renderer Method, and disable everything else in XBMC settings/video/playback
- Disable "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" in XBMC settings/system/video output
- Select "Audio output device WASAPI: TX-SR606 (Intel High Definition.....)" in XBMC settings/system/audio output

The latest Intel should take care of user account, but you never know. You can try to disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows 7.....

If you want more info on bitstreaming, you can check out this thread- Windows How to Bitstreaming using XBMC.........

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-08-21, 23:22)bluray Wrote: Try these-

- Disable DXVA2 with DXVA as Renderer Method, and disable everything else in XBMC settings/video/playback
- Disable "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" in XBMC settings/system/video output
- Select "Audio output device WASAPI: TX-SR606 (Intel High Definition.....)" in XBMC settings/system/audio output

The latest Intel should take care of user account, but you never know. You can try to disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows 7.....

If you want more info on bitstreaming, you can check out this thread- Windows How to Bitstreaming using XBMC.........

All those things are already set up except for maybe the settings in Video Playback.
I'l check when I get home. What should I set my render method to? Auto Detect or Software?
(2012-08-21, 23:16)jmarshall Wrote: Probably some idiot encoded it in 10bit. Current nightlies support this retarded encoding technique.

Are there any stable nightlies (I know that nightlies are not technically stable, but I'm not a dev, I just love XBMC and don't want a lot of bugs) that I can use that will support 10 bit.

It seemed to happen with a untouched Star Trek (2009) Bluray Disk Copy that I have. I get purple artifacts every few seconds across the screen but they go away after about 1 second.

Obviously, this renders the movie unwatchable.
It's doubtful that someone's using Hi10P for live action (though someone might have been silly enough to try it). In any case, a monthly build (wiki) is a little more stable than a nightly build.
Make sure DXVA is not set as the Renderer Method in Video -> Playback

The Intel integrated graphics are known to experience problems with XBMC's DXVA setting enabled for hardware acceleration, DXVA is not needed in your case as software decode will not cause that much of an overhead on an i3 processor.
(2012-08-22, 16:20)jjd-uk Wrote: Make sure DXVA is not set as the Renderer Method in Video -> Playback

The Intel integrated graphics are known to experience problems with XBMC's DXVA setting enabled for hardware acceleration, DXVA is not needed in your case as software decode will not cause that much of an overhead on an i3 processor.

I will ensure this tonight and retest.
If it doesn't work, I will try to use the Frodo Alpha 4 release, and see if that works.
(2012-08-22, 15:29)Julestop Wrote:

I'l check when I get home. What should I set my render method to? Auto Detect or Software?
It is clearly stated in my suggestion- "- Disable DXVA2 with DXVA as Renderer Method, and disable everything else in XBMC settings/video/playback "

(2012-08-22, 16:54)bluray Wrote:
(2012-08-22, 15:29)Julestop Wrote:

It is clearly stated in my suggestion- "- Disable DXVA2 with DXVA as Renderer Method, and disable everything else in XBMC settings/video/playback "

Sorry, my mistake. I misread it as: 'disbale DXVA2 and DXVA'. No problem, I will set DXVA as the render method.
(2012-08-22, 16:56)Julestop Wrote: Sorry, my mistake. I misread it as: 'disbale DXVA2 and DXVA'. No problem, I will set DXVA as the render method.
No, for Render Method try setting to Software

DXVA should not be enabled for Intel graphics.
So, I seem to have more underlying issues. So, all the suggestions within my current XBMC didn't work. I was still getting the nasty artifacts.
I then downloaded and installed Frodo Alpha 3, but couldnt start it with an error 'APPCRASH'. I got the saem thing with Frodo Alpha 4.
The only two version that seem to work are HDAudio + Eden RC2 and XBMCSetup-11.0+HD-audio-20120417-2f965ac-dx...
I'm not sure what's going on... this is from a fresh install from a week ago.
OK, I uninstalled XBMC and deleted all the user data and re-installed XBMCSetup-11.0+HD-audio-20120417-2f965ac-dx.

I can confirm that the Game of Thrones episodes I was trying to watch are encoded 10bit. No big deal, I will get new episodes in the regular 8biit format.
My Start trek movie no longer has purple artifacts anymore, now that I am doing software rendering.
I am still having the APPCRASH issue with other versions of XBMC however...
(2012-08-22, 17:03)jjd-uk Wrote: No, for Render Method try setting to Software

DXVA should not be enabled for Intel graphics.
As long as DXVA2 is disable, the Renderer Method doesn't seem to matter on my HD2000 iGPU.....

(2012-08-22, 22:32)Julestop Wrote: I am still having the APPCRASH issue with other versions of XBMC however...
You might have other issues other than XBMC.......have you try to install- Intel Management Engine Interface Driver]Intel Magagement Engine Interface Driver?

Hi10P, just say no Smile
(2012-08-22, 23:42)bluray Wrote:
(2012-08-22, 22:32)Julestop Wrote: I am still having the APPCRASH issue with other versions of XBMC however...
You might have other issues other than XBMC.......have you try to install- Intel Management Engine Interface Driver]Intel Magagement Engine Interface Driver?

I will try that out tonight. Thanks for the help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HUGE Artefacts when playing 24p doesn't happen in VLC0