TESTING a Virtual XBMC Machine running ESXI
When I get something that functions I will start posting screenshots.
XMBCUbuntu installed on virtual machine.

Learned today if the memory is above 2gb virtual machine will not start. Others are having this issue.

Installed VMware tools.

PCI passthrough is turned on and PCI video card is assigned to virtual machine.

PCI passthrough is not passing video out of the video card. Not sure what the issue is. Looking into this. Will get back.

Might not have this test machine for much longer.

Im building a quick test virtual windows 7 machine to see where the video issue is.
Ohhh the pain.

Windows 7 sees the video adapter in passthrough. It says a display is not connected and is correct. When I connect the display it blue screens. The windows 7 machine is also stuck having 2 gigs ram. The host has 8 gb ram. When I increase it the machine will not power on.

This issue is talked about here: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/297...0&tstart=0
Might not be able to pass through keyboard and mouse. I added an extra set to the machine. After adding a virtual USB controller... No USB devices are available.

Before I say that let me reboot the host PC.
Virtual machines use incredibly basic drivers to emulate a PC.

I seriously doubt the graphics driver would be anywhere near good enough for things like DXVA.

Still, I am interested in how it goes for you Big Grin
Disabled VMware virtual SVGA 3D Graphics Adapter and connected monitor to DVI connector. No BSOD and also not video out.
Going to try some things on another PC here that has an i7. An optiplex 7010.
(2012-09-05, 20:01)Avigrace Wrote: Virtual machines use incredibly basic drivers to emulate a PC.

I seriously doubt the graphics driver would be anywhere near good enough for things like DXVA.

Still, I am interested in how it goes for you Big Grin

Some people are having good luck with it. Smile
Glad you are making progress on this - it's an interesting problem. We use ESX at work to run thin clients for about 300 engineers, and it sort of works. The engineers hate the VM's for several reasons:
- They are unstable. Sometimes the server decides to close some of the client sessions due to resource constraints. One user hogging lots of resources impacts everyone.
- They are slow. Everyone wants their laptops back.
- They don't deal with hardware well. The thin clients have USB ports, but plugging a USB device into a VM is a crapshoot. Most USB HD's work, as do thumb drives etc. Our engineers are constantly plugging in strange development devices which require special drivers - it's a nightmare.

If I had to gamble, my money is on you owning 4 ATV's and an UnRaid server within the next six months Smile
I have been working on trying to get one vm with video card pass through. I don't have much input at this point other than a bit of info on nvidia. I came across this thread looking for help when I got stuck.

Running amd based system.

I am attempting to passthrough a nvidia Geforce 210. Haven't had much luck yet. I have gotten an initial boot screen to show up on my tv, but the same frame locks on the screen and is there even when I shut down the vm. It clears only when I reboot esxi. Sounds like I might have to switch to ATI. Wish I had noticed that before I bought the nvidia.
Im glad someone else is working on this and we can bounce ideas around. Thanks.
Here is a VMware community forum of folks who are working on passthrough. Some even XBMC.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/297...0&tstart=0
(2012-09-06, 19:52)ryanjennings Wrote: I have been working on trying to get one vm with video card pass through. I don't have much input at this point other than a bit of info on nvidia. I came across this thread looking for help when I got stuck.

I am attempting to passthrough a nvidia Geforce 210. Haven't had much luck yet. I have gotten an initial boot screen to show up on my tv, but the same frame locks on the screen and is there even when I shut down the vm. It clears only when I reboot esxi. Sounds like I might have to switch to ATI. Wish I had noticed that before I bought the nvidia.

I made some progress. I got lucky and had a radeon 5450 in another computer so I swapped the Geforce 210 for the 5450. Still didn't work until I came across this help....

http://networkingbunny.co.uk/documents/vmdirectpath

The important part being about 3/4 way down.
2. Run "aticonfig --initial" (this overwrites the Xorg config to use the ati card over the SVGA card).

I haven't gotten to xbmc yet, but at least the tv is showing ubuntu and I can run the ATI Catalyst software.
(2012-09-09, 22:44)ryanjennings Wrote:
(2012-09-06, 19:52)ryanjennings Wrote: I have been working on trying to get one vm with video card pass through. I don't have much input at this point other than a bit of info on nvidia. I came across this thread looking for help when I got stuck.

I made some progress. I got lucky and had a radeon 5450 in another computer so I swapped the Geforce 210 for the 5450. Still didn't work until I came across this help....

http://networkingbunny.co.uk/documents/vmdirectpath

The important part being about 3/4 way down.
2. Run "aticonfig --initial" (this overwrites the Xorg config to use the ati card over the SVGA card).

I haven't gotten to xbmc yet, but at least the tv is showing ubuntu and I can run the ATI Catalyst software.

This is the reason I loaded up windows the other day. I can get around windows and video configuration much more easily.
I setup a new machine today. Using a Dell 7010. It has an i7 chip. Turned on VT-d in BIOS. Made a Windows 7 virtual PC. ATI Radeon 2400 HD Pro.

This is acting the same as the HP. BSOD when monitor is connected. I also noticed ATI catalyst control center will not install properly. I get no error messages. The CCC will not run after install.
Version 12.6 of catalyst driver installs.

Get this message: The Catalyst Control Centre is not supported by the driver version of your
enabled graphics adapter.Please upgrade your ATI Graphics driver or enable your ATI Adapter using The Displays Manager

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TESTING a Virtual XBMC Machine running ESXI0