Android Streaming app
I was wondering if anyone know of any apps for android that basically did what the remote does,
but will stream the video or audio and play on the tablet or device?
Not ready for primetime yet, but how about this? http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=136037
This is beyond cool! and I can't wait to use it.

But what I want to do, is have my home XBMC box have all my media on it.
And then across the internet, use my home server to stream my data.

Mostly music for me, but would be cool for everything to stream

So I'm looking for an app that can play music on my device from my home.

Found some software servers with android apps that will do it, but I'd rather use xbmc because it's already set up.

If this android app calls to a external server, then that would be awsome, but it kind of looks like it's own server which would have to store data locally.

But that's what I'm looking for

plex. run plex server on your xbmc machine, it runs in the background, you wont even notice it.

run plex client on android. stream to your heart's content.

The issue here is you need to do more than streaming. The internet won't support streaming unless you have an insanely fast upload connection at home, as well as a solid downstream connection mobile.

Plex transcodes your media on the fly as it streams it, so its actually watchable on your mobile device as you move around.

YES! this is exactly what I'm looking for, except it would be nice if xbmc did this, since it does everything but the streaming.
but this will suffice. Maybe in the future

Actually the architecture of this app seems very close xbmc, maybe using the same base code.

Anyways, I appreciate the advice
Plex was originally a Mac OSX fork of XBMC. The Plex devs then built their own custom (closed source) backend (Plex Media Server), and then refused to give anything back to the XBMC community.
(2012-08-30, 16:03)pumkinut Wrote: Plex was originally a Mac OSX fork of XBMC. The Plex devs then built their own custom (closed source) backend (Plex Media Server), and then refused to give anything back to the XBMC community.

To be fair, they do now publish any code modifications they make to open source components, and the GPL is specifically designed to let people take without really giving back.
The thing is, the client side is pretty much a fait accompli. They closed off the server side and have refused multiple requests of even looking at the source. Plex is fine. I have PMS installed on my NAS in order to play with it, and MyPlex is very cool for sharing content across the Internet, using PlexBMC of course, but the attitude of the devs leaves a little to be desired sometimes.

GPL, BSD, and MIT licenses are a wondrous thing for software, and now hardware, development, and I realize that nothing needs given back. But, they are now selling the client and making money off of licensing it, all from code that was freely given to them. I think, just as common courtesy, it would be nice if they returned a little back from whence it came.
I use bubbleupnp - just turn on upnp sharing in xbmc and job done :-)
It would be cool if XBMC implemented something client server like plex.

I posted something a while back in regards to XBMC being able to play on all computers and devices without having to install the main app on every device and reconfigure each one.
Would make it really awesome.

For now, I'm using plex, and streaming my music to my phone and listening to it when I go out, but i feel like, now i have two media servers, when I just want to use XBMC cuz it kicks ass Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android Streaming app0