My unRAID configuration
First of all still new to unRAID. I finally got all three of my XBMC's boxes up and running.

I currently have a ReadyNAS NV+ running in x-raid (2TB X 4 Drives). Working fine but looking for more centralized data and larger capacity.

UnRaid appealed to me because it spins down the drives.

My Objective: Build the lowest power server with 8 drives. Use this server to hold all media and files, run SAB, couch potato etc... have as MySQL server.

Equipment I currently have (I know some of the equipment overkill)
8 x 3TB WD drives
1 x 64 GB SSD (Cache Drive)
1 x Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H
2 x (2X4GB) GSkill memory 1600.
1 x i5 3570K processor stock Intel Fan
1 x Silencer Mk II PS (+3.3V@25A,+5V@25A,[email protected], [email protected],+5VSB @ 6.0A)
1 x LSI 9207-8i SAS Controller
1 x NZXT Source 220 CA-SO220-01 Black Steel
2 x 120mm fans for front of case.
1 x unRAID Pro License (Pending feedback from this forum)

Here are my questions:
-- Any feedback on the build (Besides it being overkill)
-- Should I get a bigger SSD for cache drive?
-- What are some gotchas I should look out for?
-- Should I think about another RAID solution (FlexRAID, WHS etc...)

Again my goal to be power conscience.

I'd recommend a larger cache drive. I had a 120 GB HDD as my cache drive and found I would fill it up occasionally between copying files and SAB downloads going to it at the same time. I upgraded to a 500 GB cache drive and haven't had the same problem. I would LOVE a SSD as my cache drive, however I wouldn't go with anything less than 120 GB for it if it was me. Filling that up didn't happen often enough that I would regret having an SSD for my cache drive, but I know I'd have gotten frustrated with the 64 GB really quick.

I'm very happy with unRaid and highly recommend it, although, I have not used any of the other solutions in production. I did use FlexRAID just for installing and playing with a bit when I first setup my server. I then installed and tested unRaid to play with and liked it so stuck with it (Plus I was excited to get started copying my library instead of installing any more OS's)
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

Thank you very much for the feedback!

I appreciate you experience with cache drive. I will try a 128GB SSD, I have read that the the cache drive is consistently on especially with couch potato running.
Don't buy all the drives at once or buy them from different vendors. If the batch has a bad component they may all fail around the same time.
Suggest using:

ASRock Socket AM3/AMD 785G/Hybrid CrossFireX/A&V&GbE/MATX Motherboard A785GM-LE
AMD Sempron 145 Processor
Kingston ValueRAM 2 GB (1x2 GB Module) 1333MHz DDR3 DIMM Desktop Memory

You'll love unRaid!
Thank for the feedback.

The HDD were bought separately, collection over time.

I thought about the ASRock combo, but already had some MB+CPU combo. (Thanks to MicroCenter)
Don't use an i5. Way overkill.

I use a sempron 145 as Gort suggested (45W TDP). But I have it unlocked to dual core so I can do transcoding.

If you want to be able to do transcoding, virtualbox, etc. and want to use an intel board, I suggest a G530 or similar. They are very power efficient and definitely up to anything unraid can throw at them (pretty cheap, too)

The cache should be as big as your total maximum daily downloads plus any space needed for plugins. Because the mover script runs once a day to move files from the cache to the data drives. Also keep in mind that if you use virtualbox and such, their files will be installed on the cache drive. For instance I use a virtual winxp client with 512MB ram for my security cam software. I allocated 40GB of space for all the security videos and they all reside on the cache drive. Any other plugin such as sab, couchp, mysql etc. will most likely have their data files on the cache drive because they will be constantly writing to them.

I use an older 7200rpm 500GB drive as my cache and it works just fine.

I certainly recommend unraid, it was designed to be a media server and does a perfect job.

I would be skeptical about Gigabyte boards because they have an annoying "feature" where they create an HPA partition on the harddrives and store the bios on there. This feature is turned "on" by default and drives with HPA cause problems in unraid. You can certainly turn it off in the bios settings, but if your bios resets for some reason, it will be on again and it will automatically create the HPA partition. Search the unraid forums for HPA and you'll see.

1GB of ram is recommended for a plain unraid server. 2GB for one with plugins. But virtualization software will need more. My virtualbox install is using 512MB and the xp client is using another 512MB. I have 4GB installed and there is always plenty of free ram.
Guys thanks for the feedback. I have abandoned the i5 idea.

I plan to go the AMD route.

Hopefully I do not have any issue with the SATA card.
Good stuff...unRAID is nice...
Thanks just spent 2 hours putting the 7X3TB HDD and 128GB cache drive (I am a neat freak) NZXT220. Now I am waiting for the MB and CPU. Got the UNRAID USB all preped as well. Wish me luck.
(2012-09-30, 19:59)powerplyer Wrote: Guys thanks for the feedback. I have abandoned the i5 idea.

I plan to go the AMD route.

Hopefully I do not have any issue with the SATA card.
Abandoning the i5 = very good idea (honestly that was a big waste of $$$ for an unraid server)

Choosing a Sempron 145 over a G530 = not so good idea
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Thanks for the feedback. Any particular feedback on a G530 configuration.

The ASRock is on back order anyways.
How is this combo:

G530
Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H

This way I do not have to buy a new MB.
(2012-10-01, 19:32)powerplyer Wrote: How is this combo:

G530
Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H

This way I do not have to buy a new MB.

You might want to reconsider. (this is why it can be so tough to ask for advice,...one question 5 differing responses) Wink
I believe that there are problems with unRaid and Gigabyte motherboards.
Take a look over at Lime Technologies Forum and check for capability.

Thanks I will take a look. I also have an ASRock B75M-ITX, but going to save that for one more HTPC build.

BTW how is the Intel Pentium G630T (35W TDP). I know it cost more money however low power is my main goal.

Since this is a server I want to make sure I have stability (24/7). An added bonus would be WOL, since files are not being access 24/7.

My ReadyNAS has been running nonstop for 3 years without a glitch.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My unRAID configuration0