NAS recommendations
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a NAS to stream my media collection (including HD stuff) throughout the house. I would also like to use it for downloading nzb's and maybe mysql in the future. I've been looking at a NetGear ReadyNAS Duo RND2000, which seems reasonably priced and seems to do everything I need. Has anyone got this NAS? If so would you recommend it? If not would you recommend any similar models?

I've also got a couple of usb drives tthat I would like to plug into the NAS and stream HD content from, is this achievable?? Or will I suffer buffering?

I've considered a HP micro server, but I think it might be overkill.

Thanks
Dave
Hello Dave,

I currently have this box: http://www.synology.com/products/spec.ph...#p_submenu It's a great little system...great UI, excellent software. I had planned on buying this to use with my htpc but I'm now thinking to build my own (5 bays). The only limitation with the 2 bay NAS is that it limits you on the future of your storage. Just something to think about...
(2012-09-11, 21:38)JoeBoyTexas Wrote: Hello Dave,

I currently have this box: http://www.synology.com/products/spec.ph...#p_submenu It's a great little system...great UI, excellent software. I had planned on buying this to use with my htpc but I'm now thinking to build my own (5 bays). The only limitation with the 2 bay NAS is that it limits you on the future of your storage. Just something to think about...

Thanks JoeBoy. Do you stream from usb drives plugged into it? I have read quite a lot about qnap and synology NAS's and generally they do seem to be the best but they seem to be about 50% more expensive than the netgear ( approx £150 as oppose to £100)
Take your time. Save up and grab a qnap. You can't beat the quality and community. The qpkg software will make things very easy for your.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
I have a ReadyNas 2100 that's about a year old. Recently had some problems and Netgear is sending out a replacement. The management interface isn't as nice as a Qnap we have, but the Readynas is significantly faster. Support on the Readynas has been better than Qnap.

If you want to go DIY take a look at unraid.
The original ReadyNAS Duo is EOL and should be avoided if future proofing is a concern for you. Instead look at the Duo V2 or NV+ V2 or the "Ultra 2/4/+ line.

I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 and it works fine with XBMC. Also have Sabnzbd+, CouchPotato, Sickbeard and Headphones apps running directly on the NAS feeding my XBMC install on the HTPC.
Hey bigdave, I just bought a Synology DS212J NAS last week. I can't express enough how pleased I am with it. I have it set up to stream over ftp so not only can I watch at home through XBMC but also at work, where the streaming is fast enough for even 720/1080p! Of course, this will depend on your home upload and work/other download speeds, however. Mine are around 7Mbps & 25 Mbps, respectively.

Anyway, Synology drives come with DSM, which is their in-browser management software. Think of it like your NAS drive's operating system. You can manage users, monitor network/CPU/RAM use, etc. I feel like I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of what's possible. There are tons of addons (I have yet to move my iTunes library over for use with XBMC) as well, and it's all very user-friendly. Supports FTP, WebDAV, UPnP, DLNA to network-connected devices, etc. Just this morning I plugged in my old, non-NAS hard drives to the back of the drive (only USB 2.0, unfortunately) so not only do I have the 4TB I set up, but also the 3TB of storage I thought I was leaving behind, resulting in a total of almost 7TB of space for my media and a Time Machine backup drive of 1TB (I use a mac, but Synology runs even better with PC or so I've heard).

The entire setup put me back a little under $400, but that's to be expected, and even so far it's been absolutely worth it. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Roll your own.
Thanks guys, plenty for me to think about. I think I might re-think the Netgear rnd2000
Why not build your own? I am going to build one with WHS 2011 and Flexraid.

PSU, CPU, and mobo can cost less than 100 bucks. I already have some hard drives and a spare case. Hard drives can be removed or added as needed without having to redo your setup.
Beeetlesnack....what PSU, CPU\mobo are you looking at? I already have some hardware myself!
Corsair CX430 $25
ASRock B75M LGA 1155 $65
G620 $60

Then I have a nice case I'm not using and some hard drives. This is what I'm looking at, but you could certainly spend less.
Hey Dave.

I have a couple of Synology NAS which I will be selling soon. One is a 2 disk and the other a 4 disc model, I cant think of the model numbers at the moment but will check when i get home if your interested. If not they will going on ebay this weekend.

I found them to be pretty good but I ran out of space and went for a 12 disc unraid build as a replacement.
I'll go for my own build. Just compleated my own build on a hp micro proliant server, and it's really performing very well. It beats all readybuild solutions i have ever tried.
Can you go headless with the Windows server route? I like how you can access the synology through the web browser.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS recommendations0