Lost in CPU/MOBO land...
I've read tons of these threads and see so many yes no maybe kind of answers, not to mention in older threads pricing is outdated. I've narrowed it down to about 4 options, and want to know what I lose/gain from each one.

Needs:
Run XBMC
Streaming of 1080p material, the occasional full 30GB BDRIP.
Bitstream HD Audio
Record and playback HD material - assuming through a XBMC/MythTV combo (thats another topic, but I assume Linux is the eaisest way to make this work)
Be functional with Harmony One.
Eventually multiple boxes operating at the same time in the house, would like to be able to pause and pick up in another room.
Netflix/some internet browsing.

DO NOT NEED:
3D playback
ANY GAMES
Futureproofing 4K

I've planned for all builds to include Silverstone ML03b, 4GB RAM, 64-128 GB SSD, possibly a BD Drive at a future date.

Build 1
AMD A6-3500 - 71
ASROCK A75M - 75
Total - 146

Build 2
Intel g530/540(540 is only $1 more?) - 49
ASROCK H77M - 69
Total - 118
Possible Needed GPU? - 40
Total with GPU 158

Build 3
Intel G2120 - 99
ASROCK H77M - 69
Total - 168

Build 4
Intel i3 3220 - 119
ASROCK H77M - 69
Total- 188

I'm just not well versed on what I will gain/lose on any of these set ups and could use some help and direction. Thanks.
If you want to do a single server multiple box home then I would suggest going with intel for the CPU power. I am building a similar set up, will be using Plex Media Server to manage the content, but since Plex will transcode everything that isn't H.264 MP4 I went with the new IVB i3-3225 (only because I plan on doing light gaming, the i3-3220 is just as good)
So if multiple boxes are streaming media from the same nas, then it could potentially take more CPU power in each box?
(2012-09-17, 19:46)bwall244 Wrote: So if multiple boxes are streaming media from the same nas, then it could potentially take more CPU power in each box?

More CPU power of the NAS, as it would be the device streaming and possibly transcoding depending on the media servers method of sharing.
Well by the time I'm to the point of having several boxes built I plan on building a UnRAID or FlexRaid server, so I'll keep that in mind. My concern here is there is a $70 swing between a G540 without a dedicated GPU and a 3220 and options in between. I don't want to spend the extra $ if it will mean exactly 0 difference in performance.
if all you are doing is playing 1080p on one TV then the G540 will be sufficient. A 64Gb SSD is a good size if you are using win7, and with the ML03B be mindful of the PSU & ODD depth restrictions, 140mm & 170mm respectively
Yes playing 1080p on one tv, and recording HDTV from OTA, may install a BD Drive at a later date. I know misinformation gets passed around forums, and I've seen people say the G530/G540 requires a dedicated GPU or you will experience high bitrate file playback issues, even see some people say the A6-3500 isn't enough. I don't want to spend the money and not have enough CPU or GPU, but also don't want to spend it on something that won't benefit me at all. However if I'm going to plop the money down, I want a fast, smooth, quality system.
I really appreicate your help, sometimes it's hard to find advice.
No problem. Many people on here seem to use the G540 without issue, but many don't stream 50Gb BD files though either. I would have suspected other members to post in here though.
Ok to error on the safe side :

A6-3500 $71.99
AS ROCK A75M(I need optical audio out, my AVR only supports HDMI audio passthrough) -$75
Silverstone ML03B - $54
OCZ Agility 2 60 GB SSD - 54.99 - $20.00 MIR
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 $39.99 - $20 MIR
G SKILL Ripjaw 2X2 - $24

$320 - $40 MIR=$280

Should this without any conflict do what I need it to do? Will all the parts fit? Will the 60GB SSD fit any combo of windows or linux with xbmc and any addons that I may need? I don't want to pull the trigger and in 3 months be kicking myself.
Everything looks alright, although I have a real aversion to SSD's with SandForce Controllers. Also why only a SATA II SSD? Why not something like the Crucial M4 64GB instead?

Definately missed that it was SATA II, was simply looking for an inexpensive SSD. Defiantely open to suggestions, I'm learning here. Would 3Gb/s vs 6 make a big difference in this application? I know The Cruicial M4 and the Samsung 830 are considered much better drives, but what am I benefiting from that?
Personally I was looking at either the Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 for reliability, not speed. SATA III is a plus, but probably not a deal breaker over SATA II. Marvell controllers though have had much better reliability results over SandForce, and Samsung's proprietary controller has gotten really good results too.
will that PSU fit that case?
Looks like the CX430 has a depth of 140mm, so yes it should fit. Are you planning on putting in an ODD?
Not right now, I may decide to at a later date OR may end up building another box before I do. Not overly important.

With my next step something like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lenovo-Media...3cbbd95dad

would work to use my harmony remote?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lost in CPU/MOBO land...0