Frodo release date and where to follow progress?
Neflix requires silverlight with DRM "thing" and they will not convert their system to support Linux. In fact. They don't even adress linux at all on their homepage... Spotify can be made to run but libspotify is programmed in c (if I'm not misstaken) and it's targeting embedded systems so it's not so easy to make a plugin for it (cumbersome)....

To good system I can't use :-(
To bad
(2012-10-24, 21:36)xterm Wrote: Neflix requires silverlight with DRM "thing" and they will not convert their system to support Linux. In fact. They don't even adress linux at all on their homepage... Spotify can be made to run but libspotify is programmed in c (if I'm not misstaken) and it's targeting embedded systems so it's not so easy to make a plugin for it (cumbersome)....

To good system I can't use :-(
To bad

What does this have to do with Frodo release date?
(2012-10-11, 10:33)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-10-11, 07:55)Memes11 Wrote: Not only Netflix should be integrated ... with unified library)

We don't want anything native. It should all be just plugins

Why only Plugins? Or do you mean that it is plugins but it acts on the overall menu?

I think that it would be worthy to have really a full integration. As I imagine it, for the music for instance, is that you have a config page, where you can activate or not the different services, then input the username/password for each of the one we activate, then we have a unified library with a place (i.e. menu entry) to browse the full music database of the given service.

Unfortunately, I am no developper, or at least not skillful enough to code it, maybe I can help getting in touch with the different services to get the necessary to devellop, or maybe to help define the UI.
Come chez memes.

Running XBMC on my MC001 with Openelec. Perfect HTPC with high WAF.
why all this discussion on windows? What about xbmc on android? netflix works on android, so what would be needed to get netflix integrated/launched from within xbmc?
I saw drm mentioned as the reason there is no netflix native plugin, but android is basically linux based, so how does netflix have a player for android, and not linux.

also, what about OpenELEC, so there should be a native unified library for all these plugins, that can be turned off, etc...
xbmc with netflix integration is my ultimate goal for every tv in my house.
(2012-10-12, 02:28)crimsonfury Wrote: Also having it built in shouldn't matter, just turn off whatever service you don't want and don't sign into it...

Exactly as I see it.

(2012-10-25, 15:55)bsmokeman Wrote: why all this discussion on windows? What about xbmc on android? netflix works on android, so what would be needed to get netflix integrated/launched from within xbmc?
I saw drm mentioned as the reason there is no netflix native plugin, but android is basically linux based, so how does netflix have a player for android, and not linux.

also, what about OpenELEC, so there should be a native unified library for all these plugins, that can be turned off, etc...

I am actually thinking that the integration would be the best way to become platform independant. I personally use OpenElec as I do not see the point of having a full OS on a HTPC, though I am running XBMC on a Ubuntu machine too (the server that I hooked to the bedroom TV).
Come chez memes.

Running XBMC on my MC001 with Openelec. Perfect HTPC with high WAF.
(2012-10-25, 16:08)Memes11 Wrote:
(2012-10-12, 02:28)crimsonfury Wrote: Also having it built in shouldn't matter, just turn off whatever service you don't want and don't sign into it...

Exactly as I see it.

(2012-10-25, 15:55)bsmokeman Wrote: why all this discussion on windows? What about xbmc on android? netflix works on android, so what would be needed to get netflix integrated/launched from within xbmc?

I am actually thinking that the integration would be the best way to become platform independant. I personally use OpenElec as I do not see the point of having a full OS on a HTPC, though I am running XBMC on a Ubuntu machine too (the server that I hooked to the bedroom TV).

While that sounds well on Screen. I'm left to ponder how this is gonna work out if I wish to continue to use VDR as a backend PVR Service to XBMCs' Frontend.

Because the DRM argument is made by executives who don't understand how technology works. It's totally possible to have a DRM-friendly solution on linux, and have a Netflix client that pleases both customers and the movie studios. I don't mean that as some kind of insult to "the man", it's just literally that simple; they don't get it and they ignorantly think that linux will expose the movies when it won't.
(2012-10-12, 02:28)crimsonfury Wrote: The problem is a few of the Big ones like Netflix don't have an official XBMC plugin yet and need some type of work around. So hopefully Frodo will incorporate more official plugins.

Also having it built in shouldn't matter, just turn off whatever service you don't want and don't sign into it...

Having things built in won't make it any better or easier than having it as an add-on. Almost (and we're getting closer to "completely") anything that can be done internally can also be done in an add-on. Add-ons can be updated faster, and installed as needed as to not bloat up XBMC itself. XBMC is moving towards a more modular set up.

So "having it built in shouldn't matter" is just as true as "having it as an add-on shouldn't matter".
I, for one, don't want this kind of extra crap built in to XBMC. What's the point? If a perfectly good Netflix addon exists, install it and you're good to go. Why does it need to be in the core? If it doesn't exist, well as a paying customer pressure Netflix to make one....

Also, where do you draw the line? What services get to go in the core? Netflix? Is Netflix even available in the vast majority of countries where XBMC is downloaded and used? I'm in the UK and a heavy iPlayer user. Should that be in the core? What about a Polish user who has no interest in the BBC and restricted downloads. Should they be burdened with the extra-bloated XBMC download, when I can just as easily install the addon if I want it.

It's all a bit me, me, me. But people will soon be on to Team-XBMC in a shot if the core Netflix player goes down. Then, guess what, the team has to fix the issue and put out a release, when they could be focusing on improving the application itself. Plus members of the team tend to work on the parts of XBMC they are interested in. If no-one is interested in Netflix, who's going to work on it for you? I mean it's not like they're getting paid for it.....

Best solution: lobby the provider of the service for an official plugin. XBMC has a well defined addon api. Any company can check it out and build their own........
I don't want it built in to XBMC either.
When I look at all the video addons in the official list I install about 2. Why would I need the other 30 addons?
Plus if there is a problem with an addon it can be updated easily, disabled or uninstalled. Not wait for a new version of XBMC because Youtube has changed something.

When a new service is released do you want to wait until December to use it or install the addon in May?
I don't care either way if Netflix makes it into XBMC eventually or not, but I AM eagerly awaiting the feature freeze! Big Grin
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
(2012-10-26, 15:14)clock2113 Wrote: I don't care either way if Netflix makes it into XBMC eventually or not, but I AM eagerly awaiting the feature freeze! :D

Frodo already is in feature freeze :)
(2012-10-26, 15:42)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-10-26, 15:14)clock2113 Wrote: I don't care either way if Netflix makes it into XBMC eventually or not, but I AM eagerly awaiting the feature freeze! Big Grin

Frodo already is in feature freeze Smile

for about two weeks Wink
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-10-26, 15:46)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-10-26, 15:42)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-10-26, 15:14)clock2113 Wrote: I don't care either way if Netflix makes it into XBMC eventually or not, but I AM eagerly awaiting the feature freeze! Big Grin

Frodo already is in feature freeze Smile

for about two weeks Wink

So this means right around the corner now? Nod
long blocks, not short blocks Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo release date and where to follow progress?0