The ultimate HTPC for XBMC
In my opinion, while XBMC is the ultimate software solution, I cannot see the ultimate hardware platform. I am not talking about performances, I am talking about versatility and user approach.

For me the ultimate audio/video hardware should be a device which could be used with TV both on and off. The latter is important for audio purposes, since it makes no sense to me the option of turning the TV on for music listening sessions. And while is obviously important that the device could operate with a remote control, is also important that it features its own operating screen (for quickly navigate through music library).

Maybe the latest tablets could become the ideal client platforms? They feature large touch-operating screen and audio/video line-out ports, making them easily adoptable for both watching video and listening to music through external A/V devices.
Is it just an idea or could become reality?

Do anyone have on-field experiences about that or know others solutions with same versatility?

I think you'd add way too much cost to the unit by building a large touchscreen in. It's so much cheaper just to turn the TV on.
Why not just use a tablet or smartphone and run one of the remote control apps? You'll get a nice graphical interface to control and navigate XBMC on your HTPC and, for music listening, you can use it in lieu of turning on your TV.
(2012-09-20, 19:07)artrafael Wrote: Why not just use a tablet or smartphone and run one of the remote control apps? You'll get a nice graphical interface to control and navigate XBMC on your HTPC and, for music listening, you can use it in lieu of turning on your TV.

+1
I convinced my wife to let me buy a Nexus 7 just for this reason. Awsome device, great as XBMC remote, cheaper than a Logitech Harmony 900. Score!
(2012-09-20, 19:07)artrafael Wrote: Why not just use a tablet or smartphone and run one of the remote control apps? You'll get a nice graphical interface to control and navigate XBMC on your HTPC and, for music listening, you can use it in lieu of turning on your TV.

+1. Also handy for when the TV is out of sight, like say you're listening to music in the backyard and don't want to go back inside to change the music or volume.
Sigh,.....so many cool devices,..so little money.
Too expensive to add more options to HTPC.....

For me, XBMC is strictly for playback blu-ray video.....

For music, my network AVR can playback it through USB drive, iPod and network streaming......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
The ultimate HTPC app would take out the garbage, clean up and put the kids to bed so I'd actually have time to watch a movie on my HTPC.
(2012-09-20, 18:26)GomezAddams Wrote: It's so much cheaper just to turn the TV on.

Well, for a while I operated that way too, but soon it became very unconfortable, not only because you have to pay attention to TV, while TV is not at all what you need in that moment, but mainly because this involve the use of another device again, which is a remote control or mouse or else.
All is very hard if you just want to listen to a playlist through the home stereo speakers.

I tried the smartphone as a remote, but after few days felt discouraged. "Turning on server" + "turning on wifi and connect to lan through smartphone" is an unconfortable chain and too much "nerd-based", and the phone screen doesn't let you navigate so easily through the libraries.
Moreover is obviously hardly accessible by other family people.

Tablets seems to be more suitable, not as a remote but as client themselves, that's what I wanted to explore with you Wink
(2012-09-20, 19:15)teaguecl Wrote: I convinced my wife to let me buy a Nexus 7 just for this reason. Awsome device, great as XBMC remote, cheaper than a Logitech Harmony 900. Score!

Would you describe your entire configuration and the way you use it?
Having to walk up to the TV so I can use the tablet to control XBMC that's running on it is not user-friendly to me. I'd rather stay on the couch (or from the backyard as Dougie Fresh does) and use a remote control (be it standard remote or a remote app). Does your tablet have the horsepower (and ports to connect to a TV and amp) to playback HD/BluRay video and audio? Are you going to be able to hang external hard drives off of it for your media storage? Or let's say you're going to access your media from a file server instead. Will the WiFi on the tablet have the bandwidth and reliability to handle HD/BluRay? Or does your tablet have an Ethernet port for reliable, high-speed network streaming? In terms of aesthetics, I'd rather have an attractive HTPC case sitting amid other A/V components with the cables hidden in the back than a tablet sitting atop a shelf (has to be left out in the open to access the touchscreen) with a spider web of cables coming out it on all sides.

A tablet would be great as a mobile XBMC device to be enjoyed when not sitting in front of the HTPC/TV, but I don't see as an attractive option for a primary HTPC. I think a more ideal setup is to have a full-fledge HTPC with a tablet that can be used as remote in one setting and as a client in another. However, to each his/her own.
The tablet is connected to the network wirelessly and act as a remote controller for the HTPC -- so more of a home automation controller.
Keep wifi always on.
Control HTPC via Harmony remote and tablet.
The tablet is a remote and a client. Control via tablet or watch/listen via tablet.
If you want music via main HTPC and no TV select your "Audio only" button on Harmony. TV back on press "Audio/Video" button. Control via Harmony or tablet.

Having a tablet as both will be awkward and fiddly, hardly an ultimate HTPC.

After using a Harmony for 6 years now I don't tend to see the TV/amp/HTPC as separate devices anymore. "XBMC" on the remote turns on all necessary equipment and I control via remote, tablet, phone, Vox Commando, laptop, bluetooth kitchen sink....whatever can communicate and is the most convenient device at the time.
(2012-09-20, 23:09)artrafael Wrote: Having to walk up to the TV so I can use the tablet to control XBMC that's running on it is not user-friendly to me. I'd rather stay on the couch (or from the backyard as Dougie Fresh does) and use a remote control (be it standard remote or a remote app). Does your tablet have the horsepower (and ports to connect to a TV and amp) to playback HD/BluRay video and audio? Are you going to be able to hang external hard drives off of it for your media storage? Or let's say you're going to access your media from a file server instead. Will the WiFi on the tablet have the bandwidth and reliability to handle HD/BluRay? Or does your tablet have an Ethernet port for reliable, high-speed network streaming? In terms of aesthetics, I'd rather have an attractive HTPC case sitting amid other A/V components with the cables hidden in the back than a tablet sitting atop a shelf (has to be left out in the open to access the touchscreen) with a spider web of cables coming out it on all sides.

A tablet would be great as a mobile XBMC device to be enjoyed when not sitting in front of the HTPC/TV, but I don't see as an attractive option for a primary HTPC. I think a more ideal setup is to have a full-fledge HTPC with a tablet that can be used as remote in one setting and as a client in another. However, to each his/her own.

I agree most of your points.
I don't own any tablets, so I could not be sure about the answers to your right questions, but onestly I feel the same doubts and that's why at the moment I do still have a normal HTPC in an attractive case and that's why I still cannot leave it for another solution.

BUT, since HTPC to me not only means Video but also Audio (not to mention photos which luckily do not interest me), this setup becomes more and more unconfortable.

I am sure that the ideal setup would be an attractive HTPC connected to either TV and stereo and featuring its own touch screen for the user interface. On the touch screen (primary screen?) would only run the user interface while on the TV (secondary screen?) would run the video streams. Obviously normal remotes must still be supported.
Do anything like this already exist?

(2012-09-21, 10:07)T800 Wrote: Keep wifi always on.
Control HTPC via Harmony remote and tablet.
The tablet is a remote and a client. Control via tablet or watch/listen via tablet.
If you want music via main HTPC and no TV select your "Audio only" button on Harmony. TV back on press "Audio/Video" button. Control via Harmony or tablet.

Having a tablet as both will be awkward and fiddly, hardly an ultimate HTPC.

After using a Harmony for 6 years now I don't tend to see the TV/amp/HTPC as separate devices anymore. "XBMC" on the remote turns on all necessary equipment and I control via remote, tablet, phone, Vox Commando, laptop, bluetooth kitchen sink....whatever can communicate and is the most convenient device at the time.

Sorry I miss something. Let's suppose you want to listen to a playlist, could you explain the exact sequence of actions you are required to do with your setup for choosing the playlist and play it?
This is the concept I mean...
(2012-09-21, 10:07)T800 Wrote: Control HTPC via Harmony remote and tablet.
I'm the opposite. I sold my Harmony remotes last year after using it for so many years. I miss the other remotes.

I'm old school, and I preferred to have a remote control for each device......it looks cool on my coffee table too....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The ultimate HTPC for XBMC0