TV show episode NFO files
Extant documentation is quite unclear on that.

So I have a TV show, a miniseries only present in one database - a movie database - as a single title with no episode data. As such it is impossible to correctly scrape. No big deal, I'll just create an NFO file...

Code:
Showname\
-- tvshow.nfo
-- Episode 1x1.mkv
-- Episode 1x2.mkv

The tvshow.nfo looks like this:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
  <tvshow>
    <title>Show name</title>
    <id>-1</id>
    <plot>Something Something.</plot>
  </tvshow>
</xml>

That, together with folder.jpg and fanart.jpg, scans into the library correctly, but individual episodes obviously don't scan because it doesn't say how many the show has. I need to have <episodedetails> blocks to give information on individual episodes. But where should they be really?

Having them in the "tvshow.nfo" file itself does not seem to work regardless of placement or location, and the wiki is not very clear on that point -- <tvshow></tvshow><episodedetails>... and <tvshow><episodedetails></episodedetails></tvshow>, etc, etc, do not work, if there's a higher level tag they should be enclosed in, the wiki does not say what it should be. The only way I got them to scan was creating individual "Episode 1x1.nfo" files and placing <episodedetails> blocks in those. That seems quite silly, especially in the case of a miniseries which I know is never, ever, getting any new episodes, but might end up in my library with better encodes which would necessitate renaming all those nfo files. (The original files have CRC in them which I'd like to keep.) I wish to only have one nfo file in that directory - preferably "tvshow.nfo", call it OCD if you like.

Is that at all possible? I'm not really up for digging through the source and trying to figure the nfo parser out, C++ is not my best language by far.
Why don't you just add this TV Show to TheTVDB?
the episodedetails blocks go into Episode 1x1.nfo ...

(but I think they should be allowed in the tvshow.nfo ...)
Might work in the case of this particular one show I'm messing with, but I can imagine lots of cases when it won't, so I'd rather know the answer to the question I originally asked, shows that make no sense in TheTVDB will come up yet.

Incidentally, the xml export from the library when exported to a single file looks like this:
Code:
<tvshow>
        <episodedetails>
        </episodedetails>
    </tvshow>

That, however, doesn't seem to scan correctly from nfo...
P.S. And another thing. This one touches on a much bigger and more annoying issue.

Since back when I first scanned this show and found it's not present in TheTVDB, it has appeared in there, with information in Russian. As it should have, since it's a Russian miniseries. Woo, now I can scan it! Not quite.

My library mixes Russian and English titles quite a bit, and I prefer titles and texts for Russian shows to be in Russian, English in every other case, anime with transliterated titles as per AniDB, and I like my XBMC with English interface. This is typically accomplished by using Kinopoisk.ru scraper for Russian movies and TheMovieDB/TheTVDB/AniDB for others as appropriate. Kinopoisk.ru, however, lists no episode data on TV shows.

You'd think TheTVDB database is multilingual, and some Russian shows are present in it. Unfortunately XBMC does not actually give me the opportunity to deal with two languages with a single TheTVDB scraper -- the scraper attempts to retrieve English data for the show, gets a bunch of no data and leaves me with that. I can't set language individually per show. As a side note, TheTVDB scraper appears to be highly resistant to any attempts to switch language in the settings to languages other than English as well. (It switches, it just doesn't stick, at all, language setting is back to 'en' in just a few seconds for some silly reason, so I can't get the data for non-English in the first place.)

In short, I'm better off with making an NFO.

But nobody ever cares about bilingual users, not even Google.
Have you tried doing a Change Content on the series folder and adjusting the scraper settings for just that show?
(2012-09-28, 20:38)jjd-uk Wrote: Have you tried doing a Change Content on the series folder and adjusting the scraper settings for just that show?

Wait, that does work, I simply forgot about that button. Scratch the above, looks like a per-show TVDB language selection is possible, and that does scrape correctly. (Global language selection definitely doesn't.)

I do wonder how do I direct TheTVDB scraper to do that with an nfo file, though. All of my shows currently have an nfo file to simplify re-scraping in case of any mishaps. Most of those only contain an URL. Giving an URL with a "lid=22" in it definitely does not work.
In response to your first issue of not being able to put the episode information in the tvshow.nfo, I have started a thread to discuss doing exactly that
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141925

please comment
thanks
mike

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV show episode NFO files0