XBMC on Linux (over Windows)... Why bother?
Hi guys!

I recently purchased an HTPC and installed XBMCbuntu. However, each step I take, there seems to be something on my way.

- Firstly, I got the system freezing all around. Apparently, of thousands of WiFi adapters available, I purchased one that's not compatible with Linux. You can see me asking for help here.

- Then, my case is a Nox Live 2, with an LCD working. Well.. LCD does not work by any means. Here I am asking for help. LCD does not work yet.

- Then went for what I thought to be an easy one... play some MP3. No sound :S Here I go through salsamix commands and HDMI port configuration, etc etc etc. After two hours I got sound.

- Next I'll try to play an HD film with DTS and I'm already praying for it to work.

- I'm also already predicting a huge trouble when I try to read blu.rays...

Resuming, I'm starting to get the feeling that every time I try to do something (whatever it is), it'll be like this Rolleyes

So the question is: does the difference in performance really worth all this constant struggle? Besides performance, is there really anything to justify this?

Thanks everyone!
if it runs fine on windows for you, and you find linux tedious, run it on windows.
(2012-10-12, 19:28)spiff Wrote: if it runs fine on windows for you, and you find linux tedious, run it on windows.

I don't find Linux tedious... I work with Linux servers on a daily basis. The thing is that this is not work, and when I want to arrive at home, sit on my couch and want a movie, I don't intend to be 2 hours searching in order to make it work. And the thing is that I don't believe someone here wants it, so basically I wonder why everybody prefers XBMC on Linux (or what might I be doing wrong Wink )...
(2012-10-12, 19:12)mmascosta Wrote: Besides performance, is there really anything to justify this?

Um, cost comes to mind

Different strokes for different folks? I don't see a gun to anyones head here.
I personally prefer running my XBMC installs using linux rather than windows. No struggle for me getting things to work. Just find it's easier for me to setup and no OS licensing cost. Others prefer windows. It's just nice to have the choice. Plus an option like Openelec isn't available for a windows based setup. Everyone is going to have their opinion. One isn't better than the other.
Simple - if I run on Windows, I have a Windows computer running XBMC, no matter how I try to hide it. If I install OpenELEC, I have an appliance.
Audio is sometimes a PITA, but other than that Linux can be very painless if you get the right distro. XBMCbuntu, OpenELEC, and (in the case of ATV1) Crystalbuntu, have all been very good to me. Even running full Ubuntu + XBMC worked great when I tried it.
What hardware do you have?
| 42" 120hz Vizio | HP Slimline 3400 | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 @ 2.3GHZ | 4 GB RAM |HD: 1TB x 5 + 250GB + 500 GB | NVidia 8400 w/ HDMI | YAMAHA Receiver RX-V367 | 2 x Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II Rear Speakers | Polk Audio PSW10 10-inch Sub | Allison Acoustics Center Channel | 2 x Techniks SB-2440 Front Speakers | XBMC w/ Neon Skin | Win 7 |
http://meliketech.com
some of us are preferring OSX Wink
(2012-10-12, 20:10)mmascosta Wrote:
(2012-10-12, 19:28)spiff Wrote: if it runs fine on windows for you, and you find linux tedious, run it on windows.

I don't find Linux tedious... I work with Linux servers on a daily basis. The thing is that this is not work, and when I want to arrive at home, sit on my couch and want a movie, I don't intend to be 2 hours searching in order to make it work. And the thing is that I don't believe someone here wants it, so basically I wonder why everybody prefers XBMC on Linux (or what might I be doing wrong Wink )...

This is my experience as well. I also work with Linux. Would not even contemplate using Windows to do something that Linux can do. I had problems setting XBMCBuntu every step of the way, first the LCD then the Harmony one remote, the audio, the HDMI, the 24p, getting it all to start and shut down cleanly. Now just the sporadic problem with some BD ISO's...

I think the developers should have a good look at HDI Dune Prime media player it has perfect BD ISO playback. Of course the HDI prime does not come even close to the capabilities that XMBC Eden has even at this stage of the development.

So come on XBMC developers give us more robust BD playback with HD audio, all the other stuff is just a icing on the cake..., all this while we are still young ..., I have been fighting with media players for the last 7 years...
>Using optical media

okay grandpa....
the most trouble free xbmc I have ever tried is OPENELEC. The stability of this distro has been perfect. It just runs....period.

Maybe you can give this a try. You can install it on a usb stick if you want just to try it out.
Keep in mind that when you install it on your harddrive it will be faster. But to give it a try it's perfect.

let us know what you think!

I go about my time 10 minutes here another 10 there and slowly I'm finding a ton of useful stuff on xbmc+Linux, I have collected alone going on a dozen fixes that either I came up with or was assisted by others.

I would go Linux way with minimal install + xbmc compile (because I prefer to for control over bug fix and on my box in 10 minutes +upstart script + fixing this that and the other and all is humming better now than its ever been in 6 years. I would never use windows for xbmc, its a waste of code much like using full Linux distro. all a waste for making something hum.Cool

I dont work with Linux all day, in fact I know as much Linux as a couple of ssh commands, but I know its logic. For that I'm learning something palpable and that I enjoy to share with others..

Most of these tweaks and fixes i hope to pass along to others in hopes I can get something useful from them about something quirky I want to hammer.down, Tongue

Lets face it, Linux is a mistress you love to fondle and windows is just the disgraced cousin who happens to be rich and boring..

If Any of you want some tips please consult my signatures linkages to various knowledgeable half cut fix for all sorts of Linux nags

Linux all the way. death to the new windows hate..
uNi
I went from windows -> linux without having any experience (in linux). It took about 2 days to get: 'perfect' (or as close as possible) 23.976Hz refresh rate, 'perfect' 59.94Hz refresh rate, and perfect 50.000Hz refresh rate. Doing this in windows is next to impossible with nvidia's crappy custom resolution setup. The 'missed frames' counter doesn't constantly climb like it does on windows (and seemingly the audio is always in synch). Video quality seems better (DirectX video acceleration isn't the best; dig around on doom9 once in a while and you'll find plenty about that). Ditching things like xbmc being minimized for no apparent reason in windows was great for me (auto-login & xbmc-standalone in ubuntu is fantastic). After doing all this the only thing I regret is I didn't switch over sooner. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Linux (over Windows)... Why bother?1