Win Using Remote -- do you guys sleep your systems or shut them down?
I'm slowly working towards my first XBMC setup -- still gotta get a better video card (nvidia based) for use with Windows7 x64.. Anyway, in thinking about the whole remote control thing I'm trying to figure things out in my head before jumping in too deep..

So, with that in mind, do you guys have the PC's setup to sleep when the user presses the power button or shutdown (or hibernate?)? I'm used to having a SageTV extender (HD300) that is powered on 24x7 and once you hit the power button it takes perhaps 15 seconds to warm-boot (or whatever it does) and connect to the server where the content is generated. I don't think I want these things to be shutdown unless I know they're going to be idle for several days or something.. Am I off base on this thinking?

Gotta run to Fry's tonight on the way home and might be looking to see what they've got in terms of remotes + IR receivers.

TIA!!
If I am home all day I leave it HTPC on.... but when ever I am done with it I turn it completely off mostly at night when i go to bed. I then later press the ON button on my remote to turn it back on. It just takes 20 seconds to boot.... I always like a nice fresh start.
I leave mine on. It uses very little power and makes no noise. After a couple hours it will go to sleep
I put mine to sleep.
TV: VIZIO E-Series 43”
HTPC: Raspberry Pi 3
STORAGE: Windows 8 Server with DrivePool (Currently with 24TB)
I leave mine on. They're either ATV1's or ATV2's that can't sleep (but use very little power) or they're the acting as server for files, printer, and occasional torrent client. One of the ATV1's will also become a PVR backend for the rest of the XBMC units.
since i SSD'ed my HTPC, like Beer40 said, it only takes 20sec to boot into windows from a total off state.
I leave mine on. (sleep gives me issues after a few cycles, might be a faulty mobo but I don't have the patience to wait for an rma)

The remote starts and quits xbmc (due to xbmc's rather high idle cpu utilization).

Also I set xbmc to update library on startup, so every time I push "on" on the remote, xbmc starts up and updates the library.

PS. I am using an m-itx A6-3500

PSS. I bought the rosewill dongle that allows boot from total shutdown, but didn't end up using it as I am using the same pc for openvpn and plex media server for remote access so it has to be always on until I move those to unraid once v5 stable is released.
I leave mine on. They idle under 20W. I find I get random issues with BSODs on wake or it misses recordings so I don't bother. When I had STBs I never turned those off and I have to believe they used more power.
I let mine go to sleep.

Also, I measured the power consumption of my cable STB once and IIRC it was around 27 watts. The best part was it did not change at all whether it was on or off. The only difference between on and off was the state of the LED on the front of the box.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
I let the sucker sleep.
Mine sleeps, and I am using xbmc launcher for windows. It shuts down xbmc before sleep, and restarts it after wake. It keeps the numbes of issues down.
(2012-10-18, 07:11)Lasborg Wrote: Mine sleeps, and I am using xbmc launcher for windows. It shuts down xbmc before sleep, and restarts it after wake. It keeps the numbes of issues down.

How do you achieve such thing using xbmc launcher?
Thanks all! Very interesting reading.. For those of you that do complete shutdown/power off using your remote, it is a matter of pressing any button on the remote (or any remote?) or is the PC looking for a particular 'code' (aka keypress equivalent)? Just trying to set my expectations on how it will work.. I'm getting my remote receiver today so I'll be toying around with things when I get home.

P.S. If it matters, I'm using an Asus P8Z68-V/Gen 3 mobo that I put together last March (2012)
(2012-10-18, 14:36)embedded Wrote:
(2012-10-18, 07:11)Lasborg Wrote: Mine sleeps, and I am using xbmc launcher for windows. It shuts down xbmc before sleep, and restarts it after wake. It keeps the numbes of issues down.

How do you achieve such thing using xbmc launcher?

My bad it seems that it restarts xbmc upon resume.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using Remote -- do you guys sleep your systems or shut them down?0