Linux Prevent audio CD to spin too fast
Hi,

When listening to an audio CD, the player (hardware) uses the fastest rotation speed it can. Which is very noisy!

As an audio CD does only need to rotate at x1, is there a way to limit this? But I don't want to limit the speed in all cases; reading a DVD does needs a higher speed..

Thanks,
Frédéric
Hello

Have you read this

uNi
No, thanks Smile
Frédéric
Why ask then? Big Grin

uNi
Sorry for my poor english... I mean: 'no I didn't read this, thank you for pointing' Wink
Frédéric
hehe, English is -not- my first language either!

I searched on internet, for a solution for this, that topic came up, it explains two methods, however you want cd x1 and dvd to stay at x8, I dont think its going to work, you would need a script or addon for this!

uNi
Well, I have to make some tests, to see what is the minimum speed required to read all CD-DVD stuff. It can be an audio CD, a movie DVD, or a DVD containing a video file. I guess this is this last usage which needs the fastest speed. Am I right?

But if x8 is enough for all applications, I think it will be OK. A standard DVD player does not make noise. Here, the DVD may use x48 or so, which is nice to copy files, but not needed to playback audio/video.
Frédéric
It would be good to research a little, before you do anything that can possible have undesirable side effects.

uNi
What can I brake, using hdparm/eject?
Frédéric
Break? I have no idea (there are various commands that are dangerous), as long as the if you set say speed x10 and want to go back to default speed can be done, Your probably best asking in IRC

If you type you can get information on commands
Code:
hdparm --help
eject --help

However I cant find anywhere how to reset things to default. My kung-foo is weak.

uNi
Ok, I'll dig that potential problem. Thanks for pointing!
Frédéric
Your welcome. Blush

uNi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Prevent audio CD to spin too fast0